Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old September 21, 2009   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Palms

I thought I would try my hand at palm growing and have purchased 6 Queen palms and 1 Pindo palm.

I just cant make my mind up where they will go.

Anybody else grow palms.

The Pindo puts out a tasty fruit and the queen is loved by many and hated by many, I will let myself be the judge.

They both have edible fruit and the fruit seems to be the thing that most people hate, why don’t they just eat the fruit?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2009   #2
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

We bought a bunch of Queen palms at Costco in April, I don't have all of them in the ground but they seem to want lots of water or they get really brown.
I have the ones in pots on a daily 5 min drip irrigation and they seem to be doing better than the ones I have in the ground.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2009   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The ones in the ground should do better once the roots get established in about two years.
Another thing to look out for is root damage if you damage the root anywhere it will all die back and a new root has to take its place.

Make sure you water out away from the plant to encourage new root growth.

Fertilize with a palm fertilizer as this stuff has the micro nutrients that palms need if they don’t get it they will croak.

You should try the true date palm ( Phoenix dactylifera)
it grows well in you area and the fruit is great if you like dates.

Here is a link to a great site that will help you with your palms.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu5o09bdK4AgAABJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMDhrMzd qBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11lsh4mci/EXP=1253656244/**http%3a//www.junglemusic.net/palms/

Im going with the desert palms as they take less water and I can get food from them.
I cant grow apples so I will try palms, not all palms need that much water.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2009   #4
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

In a few weeks we are going to try to get them in the ground, just has been very busy around here. I would love to get some date palms, just has not happened yet. When we moved to our house on one acre, the lot was pretty much bare. In the last 4 years we have put in about 30 trees, and lots of landscaping. It has been a TON of work, but it is really looking better now. Where we live used to be farms and there were only a few mesquite trees here when we moved in.
When I get the time/money/energy I will get some more palms put in.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2009   #5
Marko
Tomatovillian™

I have three windmill palms in my backyard, grown them from seed 9 years ago. They seem to be quite happy in our 7a zone, but they definitely don't like heavy snow!
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote