Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 21, 2014   #1
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Default Carolyn's 2014 Germination Reports

Let me make some suggestions on how we would like to see the data reported. It's very important to list the seed age and the total number of seeds planted per variety and how many of those how many germinated.

If you want to describe how you germinate seeds, how long it took,what mix, etc., that's fine too.

So a report might look like this:

Snowdrop (2016), 3/6 germinated
Trillium (2017, 6/8 germinated
Lily of the Valley, (5/8 germinated

Yes, I do expect that with a given variety there will be some who will get zero germination, it always happens, while others with the same seeds get good germination.

So it's a good way for folks who participated to see those reports and know something might be wrong with results of specific varieties with no to low germination and start asking why.

And indeed there may be some seeds for some varieties that weren't so good and I and others need to know that as well,such as the persons who sent the seeds. Just remind yourself of all the many different sources for seeds that there were in the recent seed offer/

We very much appreciate the feedback since we send some of the same seeds to certain seed sites for trial and if there's a problem we want to be able to tell those seed site owners what the problems are.

We've received lots of great new varieties from many countries and actually from everywhere, and they ask me for some of my varieties, that is, we exchange. And they need to know where problems might be as well.

I know that most of you in warmer climes have already started your seeds, but those in the northern climes don't usually start seeds until about early April, some as late as early May so I try to put up this germination thread in the middle of seed starting time.

Thanks all,

Carolyn and Shawn