Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 22, 2014   #1
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Default Carolyn's Fall 2014 Feedback Reports

It's that time of year to share with others what the results were with varieties you got from me in seed offers, be they from the 2014 seed offer or previous ones not yet reported.

I'm interested in the following:

1. Was the variety true to what it was descibed that it should be, from folks who provided initial seeds to me.Errors can and do happen with seeds for my offers that are produced by others.

2.Performance. That includes yield but not so much disease tolerance since that varys a lot depending on where someone grows a variety in a specific year, and not so much as to splits since the same variability exists, same as for diseases. I don't condemn a variety based on either of those attributes. But if you feel it's important to report on both foliar and systemic disease problems, then please do so.

You've already reported germination data last Spring so no need to do that again.

3.Taste. We all know that taste is dependent on so many variables, but do your best to describe how you liked it, and if it was a spitter for you , say so, although I'm sure someone else growing the same variety will say they loved the taste, and so it goes.

If there are major problems with any of the varieties as in not being true to the variety, I need to know about that so I don't offer the same seeds next January.

Here are some examples of what I'd like to see.

Loka ( put seed age here, for this one it would be 2014), then how many plants you put out, and then address the questions I posed above.

Wild Sweetie ( 2011), 3 plants, etc., well you get the picture.

If you have pictures, that's great,please post them and if not, that's OK too, just describe in words what you saw.

If you have any questions please post them in this thread rather than PMing or e-mailing me. Thanks so very much

Carolyn, who no doubt has forgotten something she wanted to say in the post, and if so, will add that as the reports come in.
Old September 22, 2014   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Here's a link to Carolyn's 2014 Seed Offer just in case anyone needs to check the descriptions in order to address question #1 or to list the year of the seeds without referring to the seed packet:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30732

Here are my results- all plants set out on 5/9:

Anna Margaret's Heart (2014) 1 plant (only 1 seed germinated); seemed true as it produced pink hearts ranging from 7.4 oz. to 2 lb., 4 oz.; production was average. Nice taste and meaty. More radial cracking than some other hearts grown in this dryish year and production was average for a heart. Neighbor fave. First one ripe on 8/2.

Don's Double Delight (2013) 2 plants; the juicy fruits had the correct color and shape but only four fruits reached 12 oz., while half of them weighed less than 8 oz.- so they didn't fit the description of "12-18 oz." Average production; taste was sweet and citrusy - another neighbor favorite. First ripe on 7/22.

Giroc (2014) 2 plants; pink beefsteaks ranged from 3 oz. to one double that was just over a pound- I was expecting larger fruits. Had a mild, pleasant taste and produced a lot of pretty, juicy fruits. Yet another winner with the neighbors. First ripe on 7/16.

Istra (2014) 4 plants; all produced very large, meaty red beefsteaks- most over a lb. and two over 2 lbs. Quite productive, not many seeds for its size; good taste. First ripe on 8/1.

Orange Minsk Heart (2013) 2 plants; no description given but both plants produced lots of blunt orange hearts that ranged from 7 to 22 oz. Very productive; solid, meaty flesh with a surprisingly mild taste. Only variety to get BER this season. Third variety to ripen after Sungold on 7/9.

Orangevyi Velikan (2014) 4 plants; fruits were the right size and color but most looked more like hearts than beefsteaks; one plant produced fruits that were more round than pointed. Quite productive, very mild taste. First ripe on 7/22.

Sakharnyi Slon (2014) 4 plants; all plants produced very large RED (uh-oh) beefsteaks, ranging from 10 to 36 oz.; very productive and very good taste- very meaty and sweet; most fruits had lots of lumpiness on the blossom end. Yet another winner for the neighbors. First ripe 8/1.

Sen-Say (2014) 2 plants; perfect pink hearts ranging from 6 to 20 oz.; very good taste.
First variety to ripen fruit after Sungold on 7/3!

Thanks, as always, Carolyn- it's always fun to grow out new varieties!

kath

Photos (top to bottom): Anna Margaret's Heart, Don's Double Delight, Giroc plant, 3 Istra, Orange Minsk Heart, Orangevyi Velikan (pointy), Orangevyi Velikan (rounder), Sakharnyi Slon (red), Sen-Say
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMH.jpg (72.0 KB, 693 views)
File Type: jpg DDD.jpg (69.2 KB, 695 views)
File Type: jpg Girocplant.jpg (127.9 KB, 701 views)
File Type: jpg 3Istra.jpg (80.2 KB, 695 views)
File Type: jpg OMH.jpg (41.6 KB, 693 views)
File Type: jpg OV1.jpg (68.1 KB, 693 views)
File Type: jpg OV2.jpg (90.3 KB, 696 views)
File Type: jpg SS.jpg (73.4 KB, 697 views)
File Type: jpg Sen-Say.jpg (70.9 KB, 694 views)
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #3
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Heartbreaker

I only chose one selection this year, Heartbreaker, and I only kept one plant. It was described as a small 2 oz pink heart. That's exactly what I got. The size range was 1.5 oz to nearly 3 oz. They were sweet with a good taste, and quite juicy. The plant was not large, only around 40" tall, with good leaf cover and fairly good production (~40 fruit.) It would probably work well in a pot, which is what I'm going to try next year.

Thank you for letting me try a new one, Carolyn!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heartbreaker-ripe.jpg (275.1 KB, 665 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #4
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Default Loka

Loka - 2014 and I grew three plants. All were what I'd call a compact indeterminate at about four feet tall and bushy(RL). Production was very good of red, ribbed tomatoes. The largest tomato was 11+ oz. with the average one being between 6-8 oz. The majority of them were cat faced throughout the season. While the matter of flavor can be subjective I found these to be sour not just tart.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #5
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

duplicate post

Last edited by PNW_D; September 23, 2014 at 01:50 PM.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #6
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Rancho Solito (2014)

1. Was the variety true to what it was descibed that it should be: yes, 1-2 oz, red, pointed end, PL

2.Performance: early, amazing yields, healthy plant, although after our rain they did tend to split if not picked soon enough; perfect for a 5 gallon container

3.Taste: really tasty - juicy, rich, sweet, tomatoey; will grow again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08317.JPG (616.7 KB, 657 views)
Old September 23, 2014   #7
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

This year, I only grew Romanian varieties

1. Giroc - undet, medium season, pink, beef, large (+12oz), good taste, good production. A must in new season.
2. Maria Amazileties Giant Red - the qeen of my tomato garden this year - undet, medium season, red, heart shaped, few seeds, large (+16oz), outstanding taste, good production. A very good option every year
3. Yellow of Cluj - determinate, early-medium, cherry tipe, round, yellow, good sweet taste, good production
Old September 23, 2014   #8
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, many thanks for the great varities you offered for us to try, across the border!
"Zachary, F9 growout of Purple Haze F1, PL 2013"-- highly productive of 3 oz dark tomatoes, especially end of season. thin skin, some split. Good flavor.
Sweet Ozark Orange-- best all around performer. Highly productive of huge orange fruit, I had one that was growing like a pumpkin-- not weighed, but biggest of all tomatoes I ever grew, and there were a lot big ones on the plant. Great flavor for an orange colored variety, thin skin but no cracking. A must grow next year!
Indian Stripe Potato Leaf-- the earliest one to set fruit and set a lot, beautiful dark fruit with excellent flavor, finished producing ahead of the raining season, which is very important for our climate. A work horse, and a must grow for next year.
Blush, about a 2 “ pastel striped oval, bred by Fred Hempel ( T villain)-- 0/6.
no germination. No obvious reason for the no-show.
Dester-- nice and big individual ones, but only a few fruit. not productive.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2014   #9
ljp
Tomatovillian™

We had a late spring and I planted a month late. With the first frost a month early, the few tomatoes were picked well before they ripened. My son picked them and kept the labels. Ernesto and an unidentified orange were the most productive.

I plant mid to late season varieties and really depend on a late frost. I got it the last three years -- it makes you complacent.

However, I found a neighbour who demonstrates what can be done. He starts his tomatoes in February; his wife moves them in and out of the house until he plants them. He puts compost in individual holes and waters with the pop bottle method. I've never seen so many tomatoes on a plant. Every truss was loaded. He covered for the frost and is still picking.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2014   #10
clara
Tomatovillian™

Sad news: I got NO ripe fruits from your seeds - about 90% of all my plants were killed by late blight. I've never before had such an outbreak, but in my region I wasn't the only one to loose nearly everything. So much work and then no reward - it is frustrating!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2014   #11
dinca
Tomatovillian™

September 24, 2014

From Carolyn's 2014 Seed Offer

Black Magic (2012) 4/5 = 80% germination, planted one plant, very tall plant, true to type, slow to fruit, three fruit, production has slowed to almost nothing. I would not grow again.

Dester (2012) 3/5 = 60% germination, planted one plant, very tall plant, true to type, slow to fruit, five fruit, production has slowed to almost nothing. I would not grow again.

Hays (2012) 4/5 = 80% germination, planted one plant, very tall plant, true to type, slow to fruit, a not particularly attractive heart, four fruit, production has slowed to almost nothing. Based on what I had heard about this variety, this was a huge disappointment. I would not grow again.

Serendipity (2012) 5/5 = 100% germination, planted one plant, very tall plant, true to type, slow to fruit, a bi-color often producing uneven ripening, unattractive and inedible fruit, production has slowed to almost nothing. I would not grow again.

Because there has been interest in related threads regarding Sweet Ozark Orange also available through Carolyn's 2014 offer (mine were directly from Sam), here's my experience with it: 3/5 = 60% germination, planted one plant, very tall plant, true to type, last to fruit of these five varieties, very deliberate fruiting, nine fruit and still producing, seems to have a long season. I will grow again.

All of these plants were heavily shaded during much of the day by other tomatoes and vigorously growing long beans. They may have been more productive with greater exposure to the sun, but, even if doubled, (except for Sweet Ozark Orange) the production would still have been sub-par. (Because I didn't see one all year, I can't blame anything on horn worms (the variety that usually chooses us is the Tobacco Horn Worm)).
dinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2014   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't had time to comment about the above reports, but am waiting for about 90, yes, 90, other reports, which I'd really appreciate.

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old September 29, 2014   #13
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Sen-Say (Heart) - Several nice sized tomatoes on the one plant that made it into the garden. This is the earliest ripening heart that I have ever grown and had excellent flavor. I saved seeds and will grow again.

Joe’s Pink Oxheart – The second earliest heart in my garden. Huge tomatoes on big strong vines. Excellent sweetness with a nice touch of bite. Very productive. Saved seeds and will grow again.

Anna Maria’s Heart - One midsized fruit on one plant, mid season, good flavor but not as big or productive as Sen-Say. I may grow again.

Fresa – Several midsized nippled hearts per plant (I grew three plants). More sweetness than bite. I may grow again.

Thanks again Carolyn, for sharing these "new to me tomatoes".

Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; September 30, 2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Added info
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2014   #14
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Saturday I had this whole report almost completed when it disappeared. Don't you hate that.

First I'll list the disappointments.

Loka (2013) What Patihum said. Grown at home and the farm. Same results. A very fluted smaller tomato with an unpleasant flavor. Plant was almost a dwarf size. Won't be back.

Black Magic (2013) Nice potato leaved plant that produced not one tomato. Was it a mule, as Carolyn calls them, or just too late for this zone? Won't (can't) grow again.

Good varieties were:
Delano Green Ripe (2013) Very nice regular leaf GWR variety. Grew well and produced many probably 10-12 ou beefsteaks with very good flavor. Worthwhile variety whose only problem is that it was grown is the same season as my newly discovered TDF GWR variety was grown. Would grow again.

Dixiewine: (2013) Poor baby got lost in the mix somehow. When I discovered that, I stuffed it in a tiny spot in the garden. It was behind from the get go, so I only got a couple of red beefsteaks that were in the 12 ounce range. Very good flavor. I was able to save seeds, so it will get a better chance next season.

Now for the best:

Don's Double Delight: (2012) Loved this variety. Pretty much what Kath said above. When I find a variety that combines beauty, flavor, productivity and continues to produce when most of my other plants have been pulled, I am happy.

Joe's Pink Oxheart: (2012B) Excellent. Many large (1 pound) pink hearts with very good milder flavor. Very few seeds. Nice and meaty. Continues to produce even now. He will be back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).JPG (266.4 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg photo (5).JPG (393.6 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg photo (3).JPG (325.8 KB, 494 views)
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2014   #15
weinerm
Tomatovillian™

Here is my feedback from Carolyn's seed offer:

Anna Margaret's Heart (2013): seemed true as described. It produced fairly large pink hearts with average production. Taste was good. I really enjoyed this one and will grow again.

Dixiwine (2013): seemed true as described. It produced fairly large red beefsteaks with regular leaves. The production was average. Taste was good.

Giroc (2013): It produced small pink beefsteaks (no bigger than 4 oz fruit). The plant was not that healthy, so I don't know if that is what caused the fruit to be so small or if they were supposed to be. It did produce a lot of them though. I did not get to taste this one.

Granny's Heart (2012): seemed true as described. It produced medium sized red hearts with great flavor. And it was very productive. I really enjoyed this one and will grow again.

Orange Minsk Heart (2012): No germination, so I did not get to trial this one.

Sen-say (2013): No germination, so I did not get to trial this one.

Thanks so much Carolyn for allowing me to trial these varieties. I greatly enjoyed it!

Mike
weinerm is offline   Reply With Quote