Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2014   #16
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I sowed mine on Feb. 1st:

Raspberry Miracle 3/9
Sweet Ozark Orange 3/7
Dester 6/9

I sowed all, as instructed. I didn't stagger them, as I usually do in case none germinated the first time. Unfortunately I didn't note the year of the seeds, but I think all were within 2012-2013. I can hunt down those packets later to check but quite sure they were fairly fresh. Most have either already been planted in ground last week.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #17
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

If I remember correctly some of the Joes's Pink Oxheart were from me (my memory is slipping as I crash into old age) and from those seeds my germination rate so far is 6/10. Not great but better than I expected given my recent track record.
Old March 25, 2014   #18
Bladefan
Tomatovillian™

Germinated/planted

Sweet ozark orange (2013) 1 out of 6
1884 purple (2013) 1 out of 8
Lehertomate (2013) 0 out of 6
Raspberry miracle (2013) 0 out of 7
Hays (2012) 1 out of 6
Dutkas pink (2011) 0 out of 6

I used light warrior seed starting mix and these were started in the greenhouse.
Bladefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladefan View Post
Germinated/planted

Sweet ozark orange (2013) 1 out of 6
1884 purple (2013) 1 out of 8
Lehertomate (2013) 0 out of 6
Raspberry miracle (2013) 0 out of 7
Hays (2012) 1 out of 6
Dutkas pink (2011) 0 out of 6

I used light warrior seed starting mix and these were started in the greenhouse.
Oh my those are not good results.

One other has reported much better germination for both Raspberry Miracle and I think 1884 Purple, I didn't go back to check that last one.

And I know that folks are getting super germination with Sam's Ozark Orange seeds both here in his offer in the trade Forum as well as at another place where he made a seed offer, and the seeds you got are the same ones that he's been sending to others.

I can only hope that more germinate with time for you.

Carolyn, noting that some of those varieties were submitted by commercial folks and just a few by my seed producers so to me it looks like just poor germination across the board as is oft said.
Old March 25, 2014   #20
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Default hello Carolyn and good growing to you 2014

My seedlings are looking good so far and hoping to pot and get them big before transplanting outdoors sometime in Merry Merry Month of May where I hope not to be taken by surprise when I open up eyes in the Merry Merry Month of May. going to snow between 1 and three inches expected over night here in nnj
Old March 25, 2014   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Oh my those are not good results.

One other has reported much better germination for both Raspberry Miracle and I think 1884 Purple, I didn't go back to check that last one.

And I know that folks are getting super germination with Sam's Ozark Orange seeds both here in his offer in the trade Forum as well as at another place where he made a seed offer, and the seeds you got are the same ones that he's been sending to others.

I can only hope that more germinate with time for you.

Carolyn, noting that some of those varieties were submitted by commercial folks and just a few by my seed producers so to me it looks like just poor germination across the board as is oft said.
Sam was distributing 12 seeds in his own offer here and I was distributing about 6 seeds in my seed offer.

I was just at DG reading his offer thread there and the latest post indicated 11/12 seeds germinated.

So Sam and I both know that the seeds of SOO are germinating very well indeed.

Carolyn
Old March 26, 2014   #22
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Sam's Sweet Ozark Orange 4/5. Good vigorous seedlings.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #23
ohiofem
Tomatovillian™

Default Dester & Indian Stripe-Potato Leaf

I sowed two kinds from you on March 16 in home made seed starting mix of milled sphagnum moss, perlite and MetroMix 510. Six varieties of my own seed, mostly collected in 2013, were planted at the same time in the same way, and they've had close to 100 percent germination in this mix. I don't use a heating pad or dome, but my growing room is between 75 and 80 degrees during the day and about 10 degrees cooler at night. I keep lights on 16 hours a day from the beginning.

Dester (2012) 1/9 -- This was actually the first of all my tomato seeds to pop out at four days, but nary a peep from any of the other eight seeds.

Indian Stripe Potato Leaf (2011) 3/9 -- These look quite healthy, and I am eager to grow them on.

I hope I've got the years right. The Dester envelope says 2012, and I believe you first offered it last year. The IS-PL envelope just says 20, but I believe you said it was collected in 2011.
ohiofem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #24
dinca
Tomatovillian™

From Carolyn's 2014 Seed Offer
Black Magic (2012) 4/5 = 80%
Dester (2012) 3/5 = 60%
Hays (2012) 4/5 = 80%
Serendipity (2012) 5/5 = 100%

Because there has been interest here in its germination rate:
Sweet Ozark Orange directly from Sam 3/5 = 60%
dinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2014   #25
kath
Tomatovillian™

Sowed all seeds sent on 3/14/13 in 72-cell trays using ProMix, a vented humidity dome and some bottom heat.

Anna Margaret's Heart (2013) - 1/8 germinated
Aunt Sophie (2012) - 2/10
Don's Double Delight (2012) - 3/8
Giroc (2013) - 4/7
Orange Minsk Heart (2012) - 6/19
Orangevyi Velikan (2013) - 2/7
Sakharnyi Slon (2013) - 3/8
Sen-Say (2013) - 1/8

Total germination: 22/75 = 29%

Just for comparison, on the same day, in the rest of the same tray, I sowed tomato seeds of varying age from 24 other sources.

Total germination: 157/197 = 80%

Also, Sweet Ozark Orange (directly from Sam) - 3/5

VERY happy to have a viable plant for all the varieties this year and looking forward to warm weather, planting and tasting!

Thanks again, Carolyn!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2014   #26
Blk_Vegan
Tomatovillian™

Seeds started 2/17 in Vermont Compost's Fort Vee potting mix in self watering trays. The results were as follows:

Loka(2013)- 3/8
Indian Stripe Potato Leaf(2011)- 2/8
Dutka's Pink(2011)- 0/11

Of the seeds germinated two Lokas and one IS are strong and vibrant enough to see the garden.
Old March 31, 2014   #27
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Started my seeds this weekend. (crossing fingers )

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2014   #28
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

Heartbreaker (2013) 2/8
Iva’s Red Berry (2013) 6/10
Medovoe Serdtse (2013) 5/7
Sakharnyi Slon (2013) 0/7
Zachary (2013) 7/7
Benissoinante (2013) 5/6

Pappi
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #29
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Seeds started 3/16/14, both sprouted 3/21/14.

Dester (2012) 2 of 10 sprouted
Dixiewine (2013) 5 of 10 sprouted.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #30
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Paul, there were about 90 folks who participated,most with the max 6 varieties requested, and only a few who have posted, so far so I think it's much too early to make any conclusions right now.

There are a few I know who expect to start seeds for fall but they are few in number.

Sam has been offering SOO at another message site and almost everyone is getting lovely rates of germination with the same seeds. I think some at Tville, where he made his offer in the trade subforum are also doing well. Right now I just can't remember, nor have time to go check.

As I said in tht first post, every year there are some who get poor germination with a variety and some who get excellent results with the same seeds. That used to bother me, but with passing years of seed offers its become the norm. Just too many variables associated with starting seeds and the different ways that folks do it. And all seeds I listed were no older than 2011 produced seeds, maybe two varieties sent by others that were 2010 seeds.

Carolyn
Hello Carolyn
How are you doing? Thanks for letting me help.

I have good news and pictures of some of the plants. I dropped one of my favorite plants that received 100 percent germination from. I just I loved their Name “Granny’s Heart”. This is why I don’t plant all the seeds at once, just in cases of low germination Or Me as a Proud New Grandma/Farmer: drops the plants as I take them out-side for a walk in the sun. I think I "Love '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''them just too much. I was taken them outside for some sun one day . and dropped them and they broke. I will be starting them again tonight with this new moon. I am going to up-load the pictures with my report. All Seeds were started durning the New Moon February 2014

Farmer, Joyce Beggs

Last edited by MrsJustice; April 3, 2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Dyslexia
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote