Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 3, 2014   #31
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Planted on Saturday, and Malinovoe Chudo came up today! Tied with the Sungolds - go figure! Only two so far, but gets me excited.

Will keep you posted.

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #32
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
Planted on Saturday, and Malinovoe Chudo came up today! Tied with the Sungolds - go figure! Only two so far, but gets me excited.

Will keep you posted.
I am going to put the first seedlings out in a week or so in five gallon buckets where they may stay for the season.. the ground beds i won't bother with for at least two more weeks. I refuse to trust the weather for April.. good luck
Old April 3, 2014   #33
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

John - I remember last year having to bring in ALL of the seedlings due to a frost. The ones that were already in-ground I had to cover with blankets and towels (hoping not to snap their necks). I'm a bit chicken - I'm going to wait.

I just planted the seeds this past weekend - I'm not ready to pot up, never mind put outside. I guess as I get older I get more scared of the weather.

I do, of course, have the peas and lettuces seeded outside.

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #34
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
John - I remember last year having to bring in ALL of the seedlings due to a frost. The ones that were already in-ground I had to cover with blankets and towels (hoping not to snap their necks). I'm a bit chicken - I'm going to wait.

I just planted the seeds this past weekend - I'm not ready to pot up, never mind put outside. I guess as I get older I get more scared of the weather.

I do, of course, have the peas and lettuces seeded outside.
I figure if i plant my sungolds and matts three of each in six five gallon buckets, I can get them growing in the sun outside.. chances are high there will be too cold nights in April.. i worry sometimes Early May..it can get below freezing.. so the buckets I can move into my yard shed should it be frost warnings. I would rather plant them in the ground in May but may try a few too in certain beds that i can care for them .. plus too many deer to worry in my yard and they will eat my plants ..i need to start fixing up my fencing. I feel sorry for them because the use to have more woods but the developers built up on the local woods..so they learned to live from yard to yard.
Old April 5, 2014   #35
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

On March 27, I planted 3 seeds of Fish Lake Oxheart 2011 NY MAC 12 - germination took place on April 1 (5 days), and I've got 3 seedlings

On March 27, I planted 3 seeds of Rancho Solito 2013 NY MAC 14 - germination took place on April 1 (5 days), and I've got 2 seedlings

Soil Mix: 1/2 Pro-Mix Seed Starting Mix with MycoActive and 1/2 Natural Coir Fiber; bottom heat used
Old April 8, 2014   #36
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Germinated/planted

Cluj (2004) 3 out of 6
Old April 8, 2014   #37
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshou View Post
Germinated/planted

Cluj (2004) 3 out of 6
I'm so glad you got that one to germinate since you know how concerned I was about the seed age and the fact that I had so few seeds left. Acutally, as you know, I sent you all the seeds I had.

Wonderful!

Carolyn
Old April 9, 2014   #38
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I'm so glad you got that one to germinate since you know how concerned I was about the seed age and the fact that I had so few seeds left. Acutally, as you know, I sent you all the seeds I had.

Wonderful!

Carolyn
Thanks to your help and advice
Old April 10, 2014   #39
clara
Tomatovillian™

It's time to post my results as well! After bad experiences in the past years (with my eldest granddaughter watering/drowning the seed tray and me "cooking" nearly a whole seed tray with the hot air of the heater below the windowsill which I use as a heat-mat after I had removed the cover), I always start only a few of precious seeds, in case something bad might happen, to have some as back-ups.

Burning Spear: 6/4
Lucinda: 4/2
Turkish Ayla: 4/2
Giroc: 4/0

Giroc was re-sown 14 days later and then: 5/1

That means I have at least one seedling from all varieties you were so kind to send me! They are all in my unheated greenhouse now and are doing very fine, some are up to 9 inches.

I especially like Lucinda's leaves - beautiful and carrot like!

Many thanks again, Carolyn, for sharing all the seeds with us members! All the best to you!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #40
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all,

Carolyn[/QUOTE]

Carolyn's 2014 Germination Reports

Here we go with my first Report.

Loka Seeds Germinated 6 DAYS 3 Out of 5 Seeds "Age of Seeds 2013"

1. Seeds texture------ All Seeds appeared to be saved naturally. All Seeds had great color consistency.
2. Soil-------¼ Angel Field Tomato Soil baked in the oven a 360 degrees for 30 minutes to sterilize soil with ¾ organic Seeds started Soil from local Store. I do not want to use name of Soil Company, unless they want to sponsor my work.
3. Date Planed------ February 14 during a full moon
4. Total Number Of Seeds------- : 5
5. Germination Date: -------------February 21 2014
6. Germination Rate:-----3 out of 5

Indian Stripe Pl. Germinated 5 Days "4 out of 5 Seeds" "Age of Seeds 2011"

1. Seeds texture------ All Seeds appeared to be saved naturally. All Seeds had great color consistency.
2. Soil-------¼ Angel Field Tomato Soil baked in the oven a 360 degrees for 30 minutes to sterilize soil with ¾ organic Seeds started Soil from local Store. I do not want to use name of Soil Company, unless they want to sponsor my work.
3. Date Planed------ February 14 during a full moon
4. Total Number Of Seeds------- : 5
5. Germination Date: -------------February 19 -20 2014
6. Germination Rate:-----4 out of 5 Seeds
7. Special Notes: One of the Indian Stripe had to be pulled because thinnest and poor quality. Only 3 plants remain. I am also growing Indian Strip Regular Leaf, so it will be interesting to see the Tomatoes Fruit from both.

Mortgage Liters Germinated in 5 Day 2 Out of 5 Seeds "Age of Seeds 2013"

3. Date Planed------ March 1 2014 New Moon
4. Total Number Of Seeds-------5
5. Germination Date: -------------March 6, 2014
6. Germination Rate:-----2 out of 5
7. Special Notes: Both plants are doing well.
Seeds
Luck Cross Pl “5 Seeds” Germinated in 5 Days 3 out of 5 Seeds "Age of Seeds 2013"

4. Total Number Of Seeds-------5
5. Germination Date: -------------March 5, 2014
6. Germination Rate:-----3 out of 5 Seeds
7. Special Notes: Plants are doing well

Granny’s Heart 100 % Germination in 5 Days "Age Of Seeds 2012"

2. Soil-------¼ Angel Field Tomato Soil baked in the oven a 360 degrees for 30 minutes to sterilize soil with ¾ Organic Planting Soil from local Store
4. Total Number Of Seeds------- 5
5. Germination Date: -------------March 6, 2014
6. Germination Rate:-----5 out of 5 Seeds
7. Special Notes: All plants broke because an accidental dropping while walking them outside for sun. Planted the last 2 Seeds this April. No data at this time. So sorry.

Heart Breaker: Germination in 5 Days" 3 out of 5 Seeds "Age Of Seeds 2013"

2. Soil-------¼ Angel Field Tomato Soil baked in the oven a 360 degrees for 30 minutes to sterilize soil with ¾ Organic Potting Soil from local Store
4. Total Number Of Seeds------- 5
5. Germination Date: -------------March 5, 2014
6. Germination Rate:-----3 out of 5
7. Special Notes: Plants are doing well

I will Post Pictures Later

Farmer, Joyce Beggs

Last edited by MrsJustice; April 11, 2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Dyslexia
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #41
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

HEART BREAKER.jpg

Indian Stripe.jpg

Loka.jpg

Lucky Cross.jpg

Mortgage Lifter.jpg
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2014   #42
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Well, it is a heartbreaker for me--and no, I'm not talking about the variety by that name!

March 23rd - started all six Buddy Runyon seeds (2014). As of today, none have germinated.

All my other tomato seeds were started the same day, all in DE, and kept in the same conditions, and I had 90% germination. The only other ones I had difficulty with were one of the dwarf project varieties which were visibly damaged in the mail, and a packet I received in the swap that had small, smooth, dark brown seeds that reminded me of miniature apple seeds vs. the typical flat, fuzzy and beige I'm used to seeing. I did get 100% germination on a second sowing of the dwarf seeds, and one out of four popped on the swap seeds.

I haven't completely given up on the Buddy Runyon seeds yet, so if anything happens, I'll post an update.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2014   #43
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Heart breaker here in Alberta too.

I planted all of my seeds of each variety

Joe's pink oxheart
Heshpole
Honey giant

as per my normal practice, in individual peat pellets one month ago today and not a single one of any of them came up I can't believe it and I am very sad about it. I do not understand why this would have happened and can only assume that something happened to the seeds in the mail as they were all relatively recent seeds and I generally have no problems with germination.
Very sorry to have to report this complete failure.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2014   #44
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Indian Stripe PL (2012) 0/10
Malinovoe Chuda (raspberry miracle) (2013) 4/10 (1 mule)

Seeds arrived in sound condition. No damage noted (roller marks) on the envelope. Seeds were sown in 72 cell 1020 flats on March 29 using Gardeners Supply brand seed starting mix. Loosely covered dome and no bottom heat. Germination ranged from day 3 to day 5 on all 4 seedlings. 1 was a mule and the remaining 3 are not growing like I want to see. I will start potting up next week into 4 inch pots and hopefully these guys will take off. Thank you very much for the seeds Carolyn
Old April 12, 2014   #45
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I'll start with the good news. Initially the seeds were sown on 3/12 with Miracle Grow potting mix. The seeds were then covered with Miracle grow seed starting mix. Bottom heat was provided. With very poor initial results the remainder of the seeds were sown on 3/21. These are the results from both sowings.

Delano Green Ripe 2013- 3 planted-3 germinated. Nice vigorous plants.
Loka 2013-8 planted 2 germinated
Dixiewine 2013- 8 sown 2 germinated
Joe's pink Oxheart 2012B- 3 sown 2 germinated
Don's Double Delight 2012-7 sown 1 germinated
Black Magic 2012-6 sown 1 germinated.

I believe that gives me about a 33% germination rate overall, but at least I have one of each to grow out. I am looking forward to each and every one of them, and appreciate what you do to make this possible.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote