Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 18, 2017   #1
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange jazz

Just wondering if anyone is growing Orange Jazz. It's my first time and I have one plant in the raised bed and another still in a 4" pot waiting to give to some one. Mine has very light coloured leaves - almost lime green. However the one in the pot has darker leaves. All my other plants in the raised beds are fine.

Anyone have experience with this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1664.jpg (651.2 KB, 288 views)
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #2
Randall
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing it for the first time, myself.

I'd be comfortable calling it "lighter" in color than some of my other plants. It's in the same exact garden soil, being fed the same exact fertilizer. It seems to be doing just fine - just a little limier looking than other varieties. I feel like that's just its thing. I remember it looking lighter as a seedling also.

It's definitely setting fruit and making blossoms. They look like they'll be really pretty.

If it wasn't pouring rain atm, I'd get a shot of the entire plant for you. It's lighter than most for me (especially the new growth at the tops).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden 019 (Small).jpg (62.1 KB, 273 views)

Last edited by Randall; June 18, 2017 at 07:36 PM.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #3
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I think that your plant either has an Iron deficiency or has had contact with Glyphosate (Round Up).
Check out page 21 here http://www.haifa-group.com/files/Gui...ato/Tomato.pdf. Glyphosate can also cause similar leaves. You would know best...

If the yellowing is all through the leaves, then some Epsom Salts will work. Use 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water.
Old June 19, 2017   #4
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Mine have been given Epsom salts from plant out and I give them iron. It's healthy looking except that it's definitely a lighter shade of green. I'm glad to hear that Randall is having the same experience. I have no fruit yet as they were only planted recently. But yours look healthy Randall. I'm keeping an eye on it.
Old June 19, 2017   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Lighter coloured leaves can be a variety thing, but those leaves don't look uniformly light green. Something's up. But if otherwise it's looking good maybe it will grow out of it.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #6
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Think I'll pm Fred Hempel to see if this is a characteristic or this particular seedling is not healthy.
Old June 20, 2017   #7
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes we notice that Orange Jazz plants are lighter in color.

I don't have a good explanation of why that is. Usually it self-corrects, or gets less apparent after plants are well established. Nitrogen fertilizer seems to help.

The lighter color in young plants doesn't seem to be closely related to eventual production.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #8
Randall
Tomatovillian™

It reminds me very much of how mine looked and it had the exact same nutrients as the rest of the plants. It's currently cranking out some nice tomatoes.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Mine went ape *blank* crazy last year and produced insanely. I didn't notice any difference in color but I had all OJ in same row.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #10
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Fred for answering and thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to have a look as I was not home all day yesterday. At least I know that it isn't a nutrient deficiency. If only the weather would stabilize here, it might actually have a chance to grow and start producing some tomatoes!
Old June 24, 2017   #11
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Well the update is that the leaves seem to be darkening up so that's a good thing. I might be planting the other OJ as it is homeless at the moment!
Old June 25, 2017   #12
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear about your leaves. Mine are a typical tomato leaf color. This is the first time I've grown it. It has the largest fruit of any tomato plant in the garden currently. I am growing it next to KBX, and OJ is a much smaller plant at this point. To those who are/have grown Orange Jazz--is it a more compact smaller plant?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #13
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

It is compared to some. I'd say a medium size indet.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote