Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 28, 2016   #1
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Default Favorite Dwarf Varieties

Last year was my first year growing dwarf tomatoes. I grew Lemon Ice and Rosella Purple. I would like to grow more of them since I grow all my tomatoes in containers. However, I'd like to know what everyone's favorite are before I buy more seed for next year.

Thanks for your input!
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown a ton. Rosella purple was delicious and did very well for me last year.

I'd also recommend a new release this year (not sure if seed is available yet)--dwarf Beauty King.

If you enjoy large bicolor beefsteaks, Lucky Swirl was tasty and very productive for me.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

All the dwarfs that I have tried were good. Wherokowhai and Rosella Purple are my favourites. If you like them tasty with a bit of a kick, try Sweet Scarlet.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #4
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

If flavor is the only criterion, then Uluru Ochre. Alas, it's a temperamental plant.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #5
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, everyone!. These are great suggestions. Flavor is definitely my number 1 priority. I loved the Rosella Purple and will most likely grow that again this year.

Gerardo, what do you mean by temperamental? Is it prone to a lot of disease? I garden in Atlanta, so it's hard to tell if a plant is fussy or if it's naturally succumbing to all the heart and humidity.
Old December 28, 2016   #6
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by adewilliams View Post
Thanks, everyone!. These are great suggestions. Flavor is definitely my number 1 priority. I loved the Rosella Purple and will most likely grow that again this year.

Gerardo, what do you mean by temperamental? Is it prone to a lot of disease? I garden in Atlanta, so it's hard to tell if a plant is fussy or if it's naturally succumbing to all the heart and humidity.
Not prone to disease. I've grown it a couple of times trying to dial-in the right time of year and have yet to find the sweet spot. It puts out a lot of flowers, has ok to dismal fruit set, and the fruit is prone to issues.

Nevertheless, the flavor of the few fruit you do get, make it all worthwhile. Just delicious. As if OR117 and Everett's Rusty Oxheart had a red headed child.

Perhaps it's our dry heat it doesn't like, maybe a dose of humidity is what it needs.

Rosella Purple is one of the parents.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Uluru_Ochre
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Uluru did well for me. My summers are humid, so maybe you're right about the desert climate being the issue.

I'm trying to stop my dwarf list at one of each color, although I do try new ones every year. Uluru Ocre is in a color class of its own, so it made the cut. My other favorites so far are: New Big Dwarf, Mano, Coastal Pride Orange, Tasmanian Chocolate, Sweet Sue, and Jade Beauty. Wherowkai is delicious, but it is late and low-yielding for me.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #8
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Uluru did well for me. My summers are humid, so maybe you're right about the desert climate being the issue.

I'm trying to stop my dwarf list at one of each color, although I do try new ones every year. Uluru Ocre is in a color class of its own, so it made the cut. My other favorites so far are: New Big Dwarf, Mano, Coastal Pride Orange, Tasmanian Chocolate, Sweet Sue, and Jade Beauty. Wherowkai is delicious, but it is late and low-yielding for me.
Thanks! Now, I just need to narrow down my list for next year.
Old December 28, 2016   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

New big dwarf is the overall best Dwarf I personally have grown.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #10
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I grew Dwarf Mr. Snow. It's on the low end of the spectrum, production-wise, and very late despite the fact that the fruit is rather petite. But the taste was excellent for me: very intense, very high sugar with equally pronounced acidity to balance it.

New Big Dwarf is another dwarf I've grown, but it's not one of the Dwarf Tomato Project releases. It's a much older dwarf variety. It's a sweet pink on the mild side but not bland. Good flavor. Good production.

This one fell off early.

That's a quarter, in case it's hard to see.

gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #11
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
I grew Dwarf Mr. Snow. It's on the low end of the spectrum, production-wise, and very late despite the fact that the fruit is rather petite. But the taste was excellent for me: very intense, very high sugar with equally pronounced acidity to balance it.

New Big Dwarf is another dwarf I've grown, but it's not one of the Dwarf Tomato Project releases. It's a much older dwarf variety. It's a sweet pink on the mild side but not bland. Good flavor. Good production.

This one fell off early.

That's a quarter, in case it's hard to see.

Wow! Looks like ya kinda outdid yourself on those Gorbelly. Great job
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #12
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Just FYI, I'm a short lady, and my hands are pretty small. Those aren't ginormous tomatoes, although the NBD did produce some large beefsteaks.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #13
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, KarenO!

Gorbelly, your tomatoes look amazing!
Old December 28, 2016   #14
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Your hands are prettier than the maters. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #15
jpop
Tomatovillian™

New big dwarf my favorite and Tasmanian chocolate is another fantastic tasting dwarf. Rosella purple was good but not in the league if the other 2 for me last year. Everyone else who tasted agreed.
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote