Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 13, 2017   #1
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Default It Is Spring When ..?.

I think different locations have different signs indicating the arrival of spring.
In Atlanta it was red buds everywhere. Well of course daffodils . But they can be false
signals as they come up rather early.

In my new location I have yet to figure of what is the true sign of early spring. Robert suggested leafing of tulip poplar. But around my area only soft maples are budding. Now those are not leaves but seed pod buds. Oak, walnut, pecan are the last ones to get moving. How about birch ?
I planted some tulips last December. They are poking. But daffodils are in bloom around here already. Azalia , next to the house, showing signs of bud growth too.

What are your messengers of spring ?
Are they there yet ?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

If you will look around you will find some tulip poplars in your area; but if you aren't familiar with them they will be hard to distinguish from some other varieties this time of the year.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017   #3
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

You are not even close to spring yet but it might seem like it. The saying in La is "it's safe to plant when the pecan trees have buds as big as squirrel ears". That has been proven wrong more than once.

It's safe only when you're close to your LFD and the 10 day forecast if favorable. Even then we can get a last surprise freeze. But the winner is when you plant early and it works.

Before you plant check the soil temp, the truth is somewhere in this post. Ain't gardening fun?
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
If you will look around you will find some tulip poplars in your area; but if you aren't familiar with them they will be hard to distinguish from some other varieties this time of the year.

Bill
Bill, I am familiar with tulip tree. Beautiful orange/yellow flowers. There were many off them in Atlanta where I gardened. I cut down and split several dead ones for fire wood.

Raj, there is a pecan tree in the yard here. I will observe it.
In Atlanta we had couple of black walnut trees that used to leaf last. One year I thought they are dead but not so.

Happy Gardening !
Old February 14, 2017   #5
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

The freaking Azaleas are blooming in spots here in Central Mississippi. It ain't Spring. Not gonna be a good year at Augusta.

Hope y'all enjoyed me going full on Mississippi with the grammar in this post.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #6
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

The National Phenology Network has a large amount of data that tracks natural indicators of spring. You can look at maps that will show you if the signs have arrived in your area yet and look back at years worth of information to compare. Here in Atlanta our forsythia has started blooming and the dandelions are out. No Tulip Poplars yet.

Last edited by adewilliams; February 14, 2017 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #7
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

How about that. There is a name for it, a dept and a network that publishes on the interweb!
Old February 14, 2017   #8
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I have been going by date rather than visual signs. Usually that date is April 20th if the 10 day forecast looks favorable. Years ago they said April 15th was the last day with a chance of a killing frost, but I think that has been moved back a little.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I have been going by date rather than visual signs. Usually that date is April 20th if the 10 day forecast looks favorable. Years ago they said April 15th was the last day with a chance of a killing frost, but I think that has been moved back a little.
I quit going by those dates so many years ago. When following them I was usually way too late or sometimes early. Being far too late can really make a difference when planting many tomato varieties in the southern heat.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #10
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Spring is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #11
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I quit going by those dates so many years ago. When following them I was usually way too late or sometimes early. Being far too late can really make a difference when planting many tomato varieties in the southern heat.

Bill
Can you share how you decide? Do you just watch the
Tulip poplar?

Last edited by SteveP; February 14, 2017 at 11:20 AM.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #12
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Now we are talking about SPRING and not necessarily tomato plant out time.
LFD if a good benchmark to go with when it comes to planting cold sensitive crops like tomatoes.
With peppers you have to waIT a bit longer than that. You can plant them without worrying about danger of frost alright, but they will just sit there pretty.
There is also climate differences. In some places like in the south, temperatures rise quicker right around the LFD and shortly after that. But eg in PNW it will take months to get decent tomato and pepper temperatures.
I don't think thaT an unexpected frost invalidates the definition of SPRING. Not all vegetation are killed or damaged by a light frost. Even tomatoes can tolerate few hours of 32F+. Then we are dealing with the nature that has no set rules. That is why we go by averages not actual mother nature.

Side Note:
After this coming Thursday, we won't see any overnight low under 43F and day highs will be in high 60s to low 70s. IS THAT SPRING OR WHAT ?

Happy Gardening !
Old February 14, 2017   #13
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Spend the Winter in Charleston and the best harbinger of Spring is the dreaded arrival of pine pollen. Last week had to rinse the pickup because of the yellowish powdery pollen has already started. Sneezing season will soon begin...

Gardeneer, I have seen many years where March April frosts with temps in the mid to upper 20's have destroyed the Peach crop...
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #14
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

Side Note:
After this coming Thursday, we won't see any overnight low under 43F and day highs will be in high 60s to low 70s. IS THAT SPRING OR WHAT ?
Not for you, too risky to jump the gun more than a month but if you have extra plants and you can protect them from the windy days then go for it.

It's coming but just hold off for 2 weeks and then check the forecast. Check you soil temp too, plants will just marinate in cold soil. I use the grass company chart as a reference but you still have to check your soil.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #15
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Not for you, too risky to jump the gun more than a month but if you have extra plants and you can protect them from the windy days then go for it.

It's coming but just hold off for 2 weeks and then check the forecast. Check you soil temp too, plants will just marinate in cold soil. I use the grass company chart as a reference but you still have to check your soil.
Def, I will be watching 15 days forecast closely late Feb early March. In case of bad weather my plants will stay in the garage overnight.
I sure don't want to kill them but I will have my second batch of 19 varieties, if worse comes to worst.
BTW: Creole is in my second batch.

Happy Gardening !

Tags
blossoms , leaves , red bud , tulips