Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 19, 2013   #1
kerns125
Tomatovillian™

Default Last seedling to plant: Porter vs. Rutgers??

Hi everyone! I only just started gardening last year and am obsessed. I even made my own grafts this year using Maxifort rootstock for a few varieties to see if it makes much difference where I live (7a, in Alexandria VA). ANYWAY, I have one spot left for a tomato and am torn between Rutgers and Porter. I already have a bunch of tomatoes planted:
Brandywine (pink/Sudduth, red, black), Brandy Boy, a couple Cherokee Purple, San Marzano, Giant Belgium, Tangerine, 3 Sun Golds, one Porter and one Rutgers. I am primarily interested in strong flavor, and last year my black tomatoes tasted watery (I'm going to try to water less this year) so my favorite was Brandy Boy (I didn't grow any Brandywine last year). I plan to can extras, and also make a great roasted salsa that I can which requires tomatoes to hold their shape on the grill until skins blacken.

I would LOVE to hear your advice about Porter vs. Rutgers -- flavor, utility, production? As an aside, the Porter strain I have is from Reed B. which has been propagated over the years by his grandfather, Charles Herring. (Reed, all the seeds I planted germinated!) The Rutgers plant is one I grew from seed from Heirloom seeds.com. Both seedlings appear equally healthy and similar size right now.

THANKS!
Jen
kerns125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I hate to say it but there are millions of Rutgers out there and only one rare Charles Herring Porter. So It is no contest. As much as I like Rutgers I would plant the porter. It is small and no one knows the flavor but Baiz. But that's still what I would plant.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #3
halleone
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Scott. I grew Rutgers once, it never got invited back to my garden.....
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #4
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

I've never grown Rutgers. I grew plain old Porter last year and it was the only variety (of about 15) that kept producing right through the unusual heat. However, its flavor was mild.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #5
kerns125
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your input, everyone- looks like Porter/Charles Herring it is!!
kerns125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
porter , rutgers