Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 9, 2011   #1
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Default PSR-37

Hi, all. I received seeds for PSR-37 from Carolyn last year, as did many of you. In the idig thread she linked to, GGG stated that he had grown 100% PL plants from seed purchased directly from PSR. In this year's SSE Yearbook, Marianne Jones lists it as RL, with a different source.

I'm curious to see what your experience is/has been with this variety.

Thanks.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
Hi, all. I received seeds for PSR-37 from Carolyn last year, as did many of you. In the idig thread she linked to, GGG stated that he had grown 100% PL plants from seed purchased directly from PSR. In this year's SSE Yearbook, Marianne Jones lists it as RL, with a different source.

I'm curious to see what your experience is/has been with this variety.

Thanks.

Sherry
Sherry, it might be good to link to the offer for PSR-37 that I did last year so that folks have some background.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=psr-37

Embedded on the first page of the seed offer is one from idig which also has some info of interest to folks regarding the OP PSR-37 in comparison with the various forms of Early Girl F1 that have been introduced, with pictures.

As I told Sherry in her post in the Tville thread just this afternoon, there were quite a folks who said they were going to grow it out last Fall for a Fall Crop but I haven't seen any reports on that and I just read thru the fall 2010 feedback thread and there was no mention of PSR-37 there either.

So hopefully some of you can update Sherry on what you got as to seed germination since she's having problems and yet the seed, which was Tim Peter's own stock seed and was represented to me as being less than 3 yo and I saw the germination results in that idig thread, leaf form and performance.

Hope that helps.
Old March 10, 2011   #3
troad
Tomatovillian™

Sherry,
Sorry I cannot offer better news. I am still waiting on my PSR-37 to sprout.
Of 23 starts I have 19 successful containers with anywhere from 1 sprout to 8 (Indian Stripe) but no sign of the PSR-37 yet.
Will watch this thread to see what kind of success others have.

Len
Old March 10, 2011   #4
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Well, at least it's not just me! Here, it's one of about 4 varieties that I'm still waiting for ... out of 50+ varieties started. So, it may be a moot point as far as I'm concerned regarding PL vs RL!

Thanks for the report.

Sherry
Old March 10, 2011   #5
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Zero germination out of 6 seeds after 4 weeks on PSR37. Most all others germinated at 80 to 100%. No explanation just a report for consideration.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(I planted 3 seeds, 2 germinated. One was a "blind" Have one PL plant. to set this weekend in grow bag.)

.... is what Mike in Cypress posted 11 hours ago in answer to Sherry's question in the original PSR-37 seed offer thread where she said she would also post here in the General Discussion area .

If you look at that idig thread I linked to, from last year, the germination was quite good for those who reported back. or I never would have offered them here at Tville.

All to say I wish the germination was higher for these seeds but have no idea why it's not and at least Mike got 2/3 seeds up.
Old March 10, 2011   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I got seed from Carolyn. I started 3 seed, got either 2 of three or 3 of 3 up (I dont keep that type of record), only kept one. My plant is in the greenhouse now has just fruited. RL.
Old March 11, 2011   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

The original information posted at Peters Seed Research for PSR-37 was that it is a potato leaf line grown out of the original Early Girl hybrid predating the Early Girl Improved hybrid. I still have an original pack of PSR-37 seeds from Peters Seed Research circa 2004 or 2005.

But Peters Seed Research is defunct, and I don't know whether they ever sold seeds for a regular leaf PSR-37 line. Maybe someone has a link to a wayback shot of their online catalog, or even a scan of their print seed list? Until someone shows proof they did, my opinion will remain that PSR-37 is a potato leaf line, and that the so-called PSR-37 seeds that are out there now giving regular leaf plants are wrong seed sourced from that Silverseed fellow.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2011   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
The original information posted at Peters Seed Research for PSR-37 was that it is a potato leaf line grown out of the original Early Girl hybrid predating the Early Girl Improved hybrid. I still have an original pack of PSR-37 seeds from Peters Seed Research circa 2004 or 2005.

But Peters Seed Research is defunct, and I don't know whether they ever sold seeds for a regular leaf PSR-37 line. Maybe someone has a link to a wayback shot of their online catalog, or even a scan of their print seed list? Until someone shows proof they did, my opinion will remain that PSR-37 is a potato leaf line, and that the so-called PSR-37 seeds that are out there now giving regular leaf plants are wrong seed sourced from that Silverseed fellow.
I don't know what specific batch of PSR-37 seeds that Silver had from Peters, but he had about a pound of seed and was distributing it at idig, and I contacted him there b'c I felt if he had so much seed there might be those at Tville who could use an OP version of Early Girl F1.

Silver never mentioned leaf form and I'd have to go back to that idig link to see if anyone who grew out those seeds got PL, RL, or a mix.

Silver had huge amounts of seeds from Tim Peters for several other varieties and was supposed to send them to me, but disappeared, and I asked Green Zone if there was some way I could find Silver and he said he could e-mail him and did. GZ got back to me much later, twice, and asked if I'd heard anything I said no, which is why I only offered the PSR-37 seeds last year even though in that thread I said I was expecting more varieties, or maybe it was in a different thread where someone was asking about an OP EB.

As for me and my growout lists, "we" don't grow Early Girl.
Old March 11, 2011   #10
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

To update ... I finally have 1 seedling up. Of course, way too early to tell leaf type.

Sherry
Old March 11, 2011   #11
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Silver never mentioned leaf form and I'd have to go back to that idig link to see if anyone who grew out those seeds got PL, RL, or a mix.
That's because he doesn't grow tomatoes.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2011   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
That's because he doesn't grow tomatoes.
Yes, and that too, but I would have thought, perhaps wrongly, that he knew what he was getting when Peters gave him the seeds.

I'd seen PL at the idig thread I linked too above and I also knew the background of Early Girl F1 from France to CA to Petoseeds to Burpee and I knew that PL was part of the genetic background, but give me a break here , b'c I didn't grow PSR-37 myself to see what it might give and don't want to as I mentioned above.
Old April 3, 2011   #13
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

My one (and only) PSR-37 is PL. Though slow to germinate, it's looking good now.
Old April 7, 2011   #14
troad
Tomatovillian™

Sherry,

Looks like I have similar results. 1 seedling finally and it is also PL.
Old April 8, 2011   #15
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

All 3 of my plants are PL also.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote