Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 7, 2012   #16
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

So am I confused, what in the world did i start? I have an Italian friend 95 years old, still tough as nails. He was gardener since 1939. He know the language, and i am giving him a Florist cheery plant and will show him both names
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #17
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
So am I confused, what in the world did i start? I have an Italian friend 95 years old, still tough as nails. He was gardener since 1939. He know the language, and i am giving him a Florist cheery plant and will show him both names
Better yet, show him a picture of the no nano original seed packet!!

~Martin
Old April 7, 2012   #18
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Flortis Cherry seems logical to me...we have a Burpee Big Boy and others with the company name incorporated into the name. Personally, I think it should be renamed "Marko's Flortis Cherry" and that will delineate it over the years if Flortis comes out with other generic cherry packets with a distinctively different variety inside.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #19
salix
Tomatovillian™

I agree with dustdevil, I have labelled mine as "Marko's Flortis Cherry" - don't think there will be a major problem with that, there are far more egregious naming/labelling errors/changes.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2012   #20
Iva
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Iva, I found your comments interesting and why do you think that the Ciliega's that you've grown can be so different and did you purchase the seed from different Italian companies?
I often go to Italy as it is a neighbor country to Slovenia. Whenever I go there, I don't miss a chance to visit one of their garden centers and buy seeds. We don't have such variation of seeds at home.
And as it is normal for a Tomato lover to buy tomato seeds, I always bought all varieties I could get my hands on to grow them out. That was before I started trading across the pond and knowing there are m ore than just red tomatoes in existence...

Well, there were many cherry tomatoes sold by different seed companies and named either Ciliega or Ciliegia, just a different spelling for the same thing - a cherry tomato.

Tried many of them and all were slightly different in color, size texture and taste. None were all that good.

That is why I said you can't just put them all 'in the same basket' and say they should all be named just Ciliegia or similar. Because they were all very different.

I think it is similar to the story of Cuor di Bue or Cuore de Buof (I didn't bother to spell this right just now, sorry, but you know what I mean) and such, where all are a translation of the same thing, but some are the same and some are very different. That is just my two cents...

As for it being 'named' after a seed company, I don't mind that, the name sounds really nice, Flortis can be translated into Floral or Flower and that is really a nice name for a tomato, but it is up to Marko to decide what the name should be...
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #21
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Translation of the packages says this Variety of Sweet Pulp Aromatic tomato Cherry
Italian translation of Sweet Cherry is Ciliegio Dolce
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #22
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

For what it's worth....
This is from the back of the packet......

Pomodoro Ciliegia. Varieta classica da aperitivi. Pianta medio alta, bacche piccole di colore rosso vivo dispote in grappoli.

My crude translation:
Cherry tomato. Classic cocktail variety. Medium height plant with small bright red berries arranged in clusters.

~Martin
Old April 10, 2012   #23
Marko
Tomatovillian™

Everything is true except plant height. It was the fastest growing and tallest tomato in my garden last year.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2012   #24
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Wow, what a harvest!

Today, I just collected 7.4 lbs of fruit from one plant. Look at those clusters, the fruit does not seem to be falling off easily, I'm just going to hang them up in the shed and see what happens. Drying off the others in Nesco.
I did not water or fertiliz them for the last 6 weeks, which obviously affected their size, but they are real troopers!.
A million thanks to Marko who generously sent me the seed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flotis cherry 002.jpg (584.3 KB, 36 views)
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2012   #25
ljp
Tomatovillian™

Flortis Cherry has been the most productive tomato in my garden. It started early and has produced twice as many cherries as my other plants. Some of the others may catch up; but, they are far behind.

Medium height, it's a tomato. I find it similar the Sweet 100/Millions in production and taste.

Last edited by ljp; September 23, 2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: add
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2012   #26
Simone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
Today, I just collected 7.4 lbs of fruit from one plant. Look at those clusters, the fruit does not seem to be falling off easily, I'm just going to hang them up in the shed and see what happens. Drying off the others in Nesco.
I did not water or fertiliz them for the last 6 weeks, which obviously affected their size, but they are real troopers!.
A million thanks to Marko who generously sent me the seed!
Hmmm,
i can not agree to you both!
First of all: I´am very very glad with this cherry. It tastes very good
But my clusters are much smaler and the fruits are bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
Flortis Cherry has been the most productive tomato in my garden. It started early and has produced twice as many cherries as my other plants. Some of the others may catch up; but, they are far behind.

Medium height, it's a tomato
And medium heights???
Ups, no, not really
I can not really say how high it is, but it is a really huge plant; maybe around 3,5 meter (around 11 foot). And it is still growing and producing.

So I´am very happy to have it!!!!
Greetings,

Simone
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2012   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

There are now two threads about this variety, one in the General Discussion Forum and one in this Seed Starting Forum.

So I'm cutting and pasting my report that I just did in the General Discussion Forum to here.

Marko, I'm sure, well pretty sure, that I'll find the seeds you sent me, but Alex did send me Nano Ciliega, as noted in an earlier post here, as well as Fiaschetto, both from Italy and both red cherries and I grew another red cherry, an heirloom from Serbia called Durmtorske.

Of the 40 plants out back I only got a few fruits from each of the above three and two unnamed pink heart fruits. A really terrible year here for my tomatoes for several reasons.

The tastes of both Ciliega and Fiaschetto were good, pretty much average, but the taste of Durmtorske I found to be outstanding.

I know I'll have seeds of Nano Ciliega to put in my seed offer for 2013, just in case there are any others here who didn't get seeds, but also for me to send for trial to several seed sites, But the person doing the seed production for the other two hasn't gotten back to me yet, so fingers crossed on those two.

This is the third season in a row that the growouts here at home have not done well, and it really does depress me, but Freda, who does all the gardening for me had a rough summer, without going into details and she simply was n't here enough to take care of them, get the weeds out of the containers and Gro-bags, fertilize, or spray for foliage diseases.

Then there was the weather, which was terrible.

OK, I'll shut up now, but I call the tomatoes I grow my tomato kids, not having any human kids, and I like to see them grow up and make a difference in the lives of other tomato growers if they do well. Kind of getting on the Honor Role at school, if you know what I mean.
Old September 23, 2012   #28
ljp
Tomatovillian™

And medium heights???
"Ups, no, not really
I can not really say how high it is, but it is a really huge plant; maybe around 3,5 meter (around 11 foot). And it is still growing and producing."

I'm reporting my experience in a zone 3a garden. Compared to other cherries I am growing it is medium to short. And it is in one of the sunniest locations I have.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote