Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 6, 2006   #1
natural
Tomatovillian™

Default Impact of Seedling Stress on Overall Plant Yield

I'm curious to know if cold stress on newly transplanted seedlings will impact the overall growth and/or production.

I started 500 seedlings (around 80 total varieties) using Craig's method. I think I was a little over-zealous by transplanting them at 3 weeks old. They looked big, all crowded together in the flat. But once I transplanted in those 4 inch pots, I realized they were REALLY small. In addition, I did this just as a cold-wave hit. They haven't grown in 3 weeks.

I decided to start another 500 seedlings (same method) 3 weeks later. I waited 4 weeks to transplant these into 4 inch pots. They are basically the same size as the 3-week old transplants.

My plan is to put both runs in the ground at the same time. I'll put 2 of each variety together (1 each from the first and 2nd seedings). Then I'll sit back and observe!

Additionally, I have 2 other sites to plant tomatoes. So I'll do the same thing at the other two sites. My garden has seen an increase in disease over the past few years, but the other two sites are new.

One more experiment. I am seeding a 3rd run of 500 plants late to put in the ground at each location 6 weeks after the first 1000 plants are in the ground. Then I'll observe how the 80 plus varieties compare in the heat and humidity of a Southern Summer.

Geez, all this because I was over-zealous. There goes all of my vacation time!

Any predictions about the cold-shocked seedlings?

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

First of all ...

1500 PLANTS

You're gonna manage 1500 plants at three or four separate locations?!!?

Much less keep track of the variations in their individual growth rates and characteristics

The cold treatment they endured will affect the spacing between the leaf and flower interlocules I think. Are you gonna measure and record those variations between individual same varieties within the three seedling groups as well? How about fruit production and weight?

Boy, I have to keep going back to just the sheer volume of work involved in initiating and managing 1500 plants. Do you have a day job

Phew ... my hat is off to you, and I bow to you in awe and with the greatest respect.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #3
natural
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input PV.

I do have a day job. I do alot of data testing and analysis and comparison testing, so this is right up my alley. I also run a small organic vegetable CSA. Fortunately, I'll have some time off from my job in the summer.

I am planting around 1500 plants, but I only plan to gather data on 480. I have 80 varieties. There will be a minimum of 2 at the 3 locations for a total of 6 of each variety. The other 1000 or so plants will be harvested as part of my CSA, among other activities. I also intend to save seed from the best plants. I will be using alot of blossom bags for this. I know that the chance of cross-pollination is small, but I'll sleep better.

For each variety, I will plant the 2 plants right next to eachother. I plan on mainly comparing the time of first yield, total yield, and overall plant vigor. I'm not going to get too technical.

This also gives me an opportunity (reason) to grow more heirloom tomatoes. I have grown around 400 heirloom tomato plants each of the last few years and NEVER have enough tomatoes to satisfy the demand.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote