Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 12, 2008   #16
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Dean, they may not always get that "typical" rounder shape for you, just my experience. I've found I can get a variety of shapes throughout the season.

What I generally look for with this particular variety is either a color change from a lighter color than green or cream-green and/or size. Also keep in mind that you can pick and eat cukes at any size. If in doubt, I prefer to err on the side of picking slightly smaller ones for the best flavor and tenderness.

What I do *not* do with Poona Kheera is let them start fully getting russet brown like a potato, as IMO that is too ripe and the skin gets tough and the seeds get kind of large. Might make for a pretty/interesting pic or appearance, but they are really much tastier and tender at an earlier stage.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2008   #17
SunnyK
Tomatovillian™

I am also growing them this season. I am so glad that AndreyBY posted those pictures as I would have never had the nerve to let them stay on the vine once they started turning potato color....now I will let them get a bit of the russet on them before picking them....what an adventure!!LOL!

And, by the way, beautiful pictures
SunnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2008   #18
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Here's a pic from Suze's last year of Poona Kheeras she picked. The one in the top left is about as ripe as they are allowed to get.

And remember to water cukes substantially more than tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poona3.jpg (46.2 KB, 21 views)

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2008   #19
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

How long will these cucumbers continue to produce?

Mine have been producing for two weeks, I am wondering if they will continue for another 1 1/2 months, right up to the first frost?

thanks,
Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2009   #20
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Bumping this thread to see who is growing this marvelous, hardy cucumber this season.

I've been growing this variety for many years and it wouldn't be summer with some of these on the table.

I like to mix equal parts sugar and vinegar (start with 1 cup of each) and then slice up a few Poonas and add them to the mixture. I let them sit overnight most of the time, but sometimes I can't resist and eat them after a only a few hours of marinating.

For those of you looking for seeds, Johnny's Selected Seeds is carrying them this season.

Click here to go to the Poona Kheera ordering page at Johnny's

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2009   #21
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I am growing it for the first time....The seedlings are as vigorous as the hybrid seedlings I started...I am placing the cukes in a raised bed this year and covering with row cover to keep bugs and heat off....Hoping for a bumper crop as my kids eat so many fresh, I have had to make pickles from baby zucchini the last few years...
I grew a cuke about 6 years ago that turned russet too...It was longer and twisted, seeds from Sand Hill....I can't recall the name, but it doesn't get near the accolades Poona Kheera does .....After this cold snap passes I am planting the seedlings out....
I also have Edmondson, Mongkut f1, and Calypso f1 growing...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #22
entangled
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Poona Keera for the first time this year. Planted the seeds on May 24 and they are growing strongly. The only other cucumber I'm growing is Sumter.

I'm eagerly awaiting the first cuke.
entangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #23
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I grow Poona Kheera every year now. It is always productive and one of my favorites for fresh eating. I even pickled some this year
Old June 10, 2009   #24
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year growing Poona Kheera and looking forward to it. Have three other cuke varieties growing also.
Old June 10, 2009   #25
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

First time growing it here. Read good things about it in the seed catalogs, and of course on TV. I planted several of those and a couple other varieties. They weren't growing fast so when I saw some Boston Pickler plants at HD that were much larger I bought one of those as well. Should have plenty during the summer. Looking forward to comparing them. The best reviews I've read so far on the ones I have are for Poona Kheera and White Stallion. We'll see...
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2009   #26
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Happy camper so far with this one ... just starting to russet ... I'm growing three in a large container
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20090803tomsvarious 002.jpg (145.4 KB, 10 views)
Old August 3, 2009   #27
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

The Poona Kheera cucumbers after last year have been added to my 'must grow every year' list.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2009   #28
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Isn't it nice to be able to grow this wonderful OP cucumber and not have to rely on anyone else to produce fresh seed for future growing seasons?

It's really great to read that others here are also enjoying Poona Kheera. I hope to read more updates from fellow members, too.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote