Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 1, 2010   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Oleander from seed...any tips?

We collected some Oleander seed pods last fall at a few coastal areas of NC. Once dried, they pop open and the seeds want to fly everywhere!

So I have zillions of seeds...anyone ever tried to germinate Oleander seed? Now that Raleigh is zone 8 (the Bay tree I put outside last summer - in the ground! - is doing fine, even in this cold winter), we are seeing more and more Oleanders wintering over just fine.

thanks!
Old March 2, 2010   #2
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Never tried Craig, but are Oleander not poisonous?
huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2010   #3
Marko
Tomatovillian™

Oleander can be propagated by seed, but seedlings will not be like parent plant. The best and easiest way to propagate oleander is by cuttings. They root easily in water.
I'm not sure if oleander will survive winter in zone 8. Even in zone 9 it sometimes get some fost damage. Bay tree in much hardier than oleander.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2010   #4
huxter09
Tomatovillian™

They certainly are poisonous and need to be handled with care as the milky sap can irritate skin .

In many parts of rural Australia they are planted as hedge rows for wind control on farms as they are very drought tolerant .But you need to be very careful that stock don't browse the foliage .Just near us is a splendid hedge about 2 miles long and about 15 feet both high and wide --very impressive pink and white mix when in full bloom .Planted many years ago from cuttings .
I have some in the garden and they seem to respond well to annual hard pruning to encourage more flowers.