Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 17, 2010   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default The Fall EarthTainer "Farm" Update - Sept 17 (pics)

Kind of like handing off the baton in a relay race, all but my Big Beef planted out March 18 have bit the dust.

While not so pretty, it still is pumping out ripe tomatoes.

The 2 pairs of Legend plants are developing well, with the Biota-Max plants in the right 'Tainer seem to be outperforming the plants in the Fungi Perfecti Myco-Grow in the left 'Tainer:

Siberia is really looking lush and green with many green tomatoes hiding under the leaves:

The Fall planting of Diva cucumbers are maturing nicely:

And the Peppers are in their final stages:

Goose Creek, Purple Haze, Berkeley Tie Dye and other Wild Boar Farms varieties are now flowering and setting fruit:

Temps are remaining in the high 70s and I am expecting this climate to persist through Thanksgiving when I'll be planting Snow Peas for the Winter crop.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2010   #2
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Looks good Ray......my 2 Legend plants (Earthtainers) were planted out 90 days ago. They started producing ripe fruit at only 50 days. The fruits are all between 3-6 ounces. I would guess they would be done in about another 2 weeks here in Michigan. My 2 plants made it to 4.5 feet tall. I will bet they both coughed up about 70-75 tomatoes each plant. Good luck with your new Earthtainers >>>>>>>>>>Talon
Talon1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2010   #3
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Ray

Now we know why Bingster went back to Big Beef as his primary tomato in his SWC. It sure keeps on ticking and kicking out them maters!!! I'm trialing 50% Bumper Crop mixed with 30% Miracle Grow, 10% Coarse Perilite, 10% Bine Bark Fines and using a Diva Cucumber seedling in a 5 gal grow bag. Just want to see how it develops in the Fall No VA weather. Will be using the Bumper Crop to amend my 2 year old mix this coming Spring 2011. Can just taste those wonderful maters such as Big Beef!!!

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2010   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hey George,

Even with our horrible Summer weather this Season, Big Beef has been my most productive plant - bar none. I agree with Bingster and Timmy1 absolutely. While others like Goose Creek, Marianna's Peace, and Indian Stripe had a better taste, Big Beef is "ole reliable" as far as I am concerned.

Keep us posted on how your Combo Mix works out.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote