Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 2, 2006   #1
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Default First ever Box Car Willie...

We ate our first ever Box Car Willie this morning at breakfast. I had been letting it ripen all week, and boy was I tempted to jump the gun and PICK it! Somehow I managed to wait until it was a nice, rich red.

It was GREAT! A nice, rich, old fashioned tasting tomato. It was also slightly bigger than my fist. I have a few outside turning pink right now that are as big as softballs. Somehow from the pictures in Carolyn's book I thought they would be smallish so their size is unexpected. I have had very little disease or pest problems with this variety (unlike some others I could mention this year!)

Nothing like the first real, red tomato of the year. We've had some cherries, but the first real slicer is something to celebrate! Box Car Willie was a good choice
It really had nice flavor.

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #2
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

We don't believe you unless there is a picture to proof it.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #3
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Jennifer apparently there has been some sort of Faux Box car willie. It is much larger then the real deal. The one I grew last year from TTomatoes was HUGE. Not sure what happened as that thread was on the old forum. Maybe someone will chime in- Glad it tasted yummy :wink:
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #4
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default Not Box Car Willie, but....

IMISSCOLO:
First of all, thanks for the seeds!

I ordered Mule Team from TT and found out the same thing: what I thought would be a prolific, medium-sized globes turned out to be huge orange colored beefsteaks of moderate production. Go figure.

DrR
Dr_Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2006   #5
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

We had quite a lengthy thread over at GW last Aug.

I don’t know if the pics will still show up but here is the thread.

“2 pound Box Car Willie
Posted by wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 16:22
I was surprized by the first cluster from BCW all three around 2 pounds! I didn't expect them to be beefsteak size tomatoes. They were perfect and absolutely delicious. I've seen it described 10 to 16 oz. Is this common, I'm new at growing heirlooms.
Wendey

Follow-Up Postings:
RE: 2 pound Box Car Willie
 Posted by: JerryL z6a SW OH (My Page) on Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 16:28
Wendey
I've been growing BCW for about 4 years now and have frequently had the results you describe on some of the clusters. However, for me most range between ¾ lbs and a pound and a half. But they are ALL delicious.
Jerry

 Posted by: chemocurl zone 5/6 S IND (My Page) on Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 17:53
Are they prolific as well?
Sue

 Posted by: wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 18:26
chemocurl, my plants are laiden down with tomatoes, and in fact one branch did break under the weight, I brought the two maters in and set them on the counter as they were only partially ripe. I measured the first one I picked after i cut off a nice thick slice and it was 5 1/2 inches wide!
Jerry, thanks for your response I think most of the others are in the 1 1/2 pd range, I had all sorts of thoughts going around my head, such as wrong seeds or mixed up tags ( but I'm usually pretty careful ) however I did some research and all photos I came up with looked just like what I had except the size.

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 18:42
I'm sooooo jealous. Well done. Sniff.

 Posted by: wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 21:17
Thanks Grub, it won't be long and we'll be envious of your maters ;-)
Wendey

 Posted by: gardenpaws_VA z7 NoVA (My Page) on Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 23:23
Box Car Willie is only in the 1-lb range for me, but considering that I have not treated them very well, it's doing great. The other really big one I have is Akers West Virginia, but I think BCW tastes better.

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 3:38
All I want for Christmas is a 2lb Box Car Willie. Havee you the means to take a photo, pretty please?

 Posted by: gonefishin z7bTx (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 5:00
Allright Wendey!!! That makes me want to add that BCW to my list for next spring ! I like them big maters that taste good. ":^)
Bill P.

 Posted by: Gimme3Steps (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 5:30
Box car Willie has got me peturbed...big time. The fruits tasted nice, but the habit of growth was erratic, as well as fruit sizes. I got to say, its a Good Tomato, but it's also a mystery, to me, what it really is ....))) No worries, tho...aim to plant it again, from reliable seed source, an be able to figure out this mystery...))) I caint imagine a 2pounder comin from a BCW, that even throws another crowbar into the mystery...)))

 Posted by: barkeater Z3b VT (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 7:37
Nice going Wendey. I have a couple on the plant over a pound, but nothing close to 2 pounds.

 Posted by: Carolyn137 z4/5 NY (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 7:51
All I can say is that from the time I awakened the seeds for BCW that Joe Bratka sent to me b/c back in the early 90's that he couldn't, I've never had a 2# fruit size with BCW. Never, and that's growing it many times.
Tops for me has been about one pound and a goodly number in the 10-12 oz range. Now that's with original seed that I've kept going over the years with new stock from time to time.
Even two years ago when it was a rainy summer and I had 3# Tidwell Germans and Red Barns I don't think I saw anything larger with BCW, but to be honest I'd have to go fetch my data book to be sure I had it planted two years ago, for I just can't remember.
Carolyn, trying to visualize a two pound BCW. ( smile)

 Posted by: sandy0225 z5 Indiana (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 9:43
all right, I'll ask the question that everyone wants to ask...Will you trade me some seeds? Thanks!
Sandy

RE: 2 pound Box Car Willie//
 Posted by: Carolyn137 z4/5 NY (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 10:24
all right, I'll ask the question that everyone wants to ask...Will you trade me some seeds? Thanks!
Sandy
Sandy,
Not everyone asks that question b/c in the last two years here I've distributed lots and lots of BCW seeds per my seed offers. They were older seeds that folks had to awaken but the germination rates were fine, as posted, and I know that many here have grown BCW's from my seeds.
Two points.
I don't currently have fresh seeds that I can remember but even if I did, and I'd have to check, they'd be in a seed offer in the tomato seed exchange area, not sent on a one on one basis which is something I seldom do unless the variety is one that is very rare and not offered commercially.
Second, I don't trade seeds, ever, unless it's a new family heirloom that someone shares with me and then I suggest they ask for some varieties and if I have them I send them/
So my best suggestion is to look in the Tomato Seed Exchange in the Fall and if you see BCW being offered ask if it's from plants grown from my seeds.
Carolyn, who in that last two years has offered about 300 different varieties to GW members, so it's not like I'm shirking in that regard. LOL

 Posted by: wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 13:10
Grub, I did take a photo of this fruit after I cut a slice, but I don't know how to post photos.
Carolyn, I purchased these seeds from Totally Tomatoes and the only thing I did other than amend the soil with composted manure was add a small handful of bonemeal to the planting hole. I have consulted many photos and descriptions and looks and sounds like BCW except for the size, The first three were 2 pd range (give or take an oz) the next three were about 1 1/2 pds. they seem to be in clusters of three and most are still out there on the plant.
Sandy, I'm sorry no seeds to trade and I'm not really up to saving them. Perhaps you could still get them from totally tomatoes.
I will say this tomato is wonderful and I will definitely try it again.
Thanks for all the pats on the back, especially encouraging to a newbie in the world of heirlooms.
Wendey

 Posted by: Carolyn137 z4/5 NY (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 13:51
Wendey,
I havn't said your BCW's are wrong, all I said was that I've never grown one in the 2# range.LOL
I haven't heard of anyone having problems with BCW regardless of the seed source, be that TGS, SandHill, Heirloom seeds, and on and on.
I don't amend the soil with manure, bonemeal or anything else, just a couple of surface fertilizations during the summer and maybe a foliar spray or two if the season is a wet one.
Carolyn

 Posted by: NCTomatoman z7/8 NC (clehoullier@nc.rr.com) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 15:26
Seed from TGSC, good yielder, healthy, consistent yield of 6-8 ounce round smooth good flavored tomatoes. If this plant spit out 1.5-2 lb tomatoes, I would be shocked - sounds like there is some variation in seed stocks out there. it is a very good variety, and to me, very similar to Nepal and Rasp Red.
Craig

 Posted by: IMISSCOLO (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 16:43
Mine threw out one that was almost 2lbs as well, my seed source was Totally tomatoes. I have only 4 seeds left or I would be happy to send you some!-(Sandy)-Rena

 Posted by: wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 16:49
Carolyn, I just wanted to offer some explainations due to the surprise of its size and where I got the seeds in case any one else has had any problems with the seed source. Sorry if it came across wrong ;-)
Wendey

2.4 pound box car willie
 Posted by: Earl SW Ohio 5-6 (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 19:06
Wendey, I'm sorry for having to do this. :-) And I'd like to stick my tongue out at Jerry and Ken. You should have heard the comments I got at the CHOPTAG Taste Fest today when I said I'd left my 2.4 lb. BCW one at home. LOL!
[Click for larger picture]
http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ly24lbs1mx.jpg

 Posted by: wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 19:33
Earl, WOW, AWESOME. Ok I feel better now that a few folks out there have experienced BCW on the LARGER side. Thanks for the photo :-)
Wendey

 Posted by: IMISSCOLO (My Page) on Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 19:40
Earl where did you get them moster seeds?

 Posted by: Earl SW Ohio 5-6 (My Page) on Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 11:18
Rene,
I got the seed from Brian [Brainsander] in OK. "The seeds that I sent you were: Box Car Willie- saved from my garden last year(OS Heirloom Seeds in 00);"
I don't know what [OS] refers to.

 Posted by: IMISSCOLO (My Page) on Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 11:33
Ok correction maybe the totally tomatoes was an old pack and my seeds came from Earl?- I need to keep better records!-Rena

 Posted by: NCTomatoman z7/8 NC (clehoullier@nc.rr.com) on Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 11:49
Looks much more like Delicious than Box Car Willie! (someone came to Tomatopalooza with a 4 pounder that looks just like that). I think something got into Box Car's genes to produce that sort of fruit...
Craig

 Posted by: Carolyn137 z4/5 NY (My Page) on Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 13:32
I don't know what [OS] refers to.
In SSE speak it means original source, so OS Heirloom Seeds indicates the seeds were purchsed from that seed company.
Carolyn, and OS can be taken a couple of ways by SSE folks, but the above is OK for this purpose.

 Posted by: TJG911 z5b CT (My Page) on Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 16:55
craig is the 1st to say what i have been thinking as i read this thread. i grew bcw in 2003, 2 plants, seeds from tgs. both plants produced fairly uniform sized tomatoes, nothing near a pound. i don't have a scale but i would say they were in the 6-8 oz size, more at the lower end.
craig did not say this nor did anyone else. isn't totally tomatoes part of the 3 seed companies bought by jung (?). vermont bean seed is another, i forget the 3rd. all have randolph wi (?) as their address. wasn't tt one of the companies that is known for seed mix ups?
a 2 pound bcw sounds like a mix up... no?????
tom

 Posted by: NCTomatoman z7/8 NC (clehoullier@nc.rr.com) on Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 17:00
Jerry, what was the source of your seed, since you came in early on this thread. My conversations with Carolyn about both BCW and Mule Team led me to expect what I got this year, seed from both from TGSC - medium sized, round red fruit. In a year when pretty much everything I am growing is as expected size wise, if I had a 1.5-2 lb fruit on either one, I would suspect a seed mix up or cross.
Craig

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 18:38
Sorry to butt in, but I couldn't help myself. I was mighty keen to grow BCW last year and sourced seeds from Heirloom Tomatoes. I grew three plants and each produced delicious red fruits just like Earl's. Each was around the 1-1.5lb mark and not at all round. The plant turned on a bunch of fruits, then stopped for a while to take stock, then put on another spurt. The plant was a medium-sized indeterminate about 5-6ft tall. RL. But obviously not BCW, as Carolyn kindly pointed out when I posted pics at the time. So there does seem to be a lot of mislabelling. (The other one I desparately wanted to grow was Cuostralee and again I had a wrong variety).

 Posted by: JerryL z6a SW OH (My Page) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 14:16
My original seed source was Totally Tomato in 2001.
I obviously grew it from bought seed in 2001 and I grew it again from bought seed in 2002.
In 2003 I grew it from seed saved in 2002.
2004 was from 2002 seed
This year was from seed saved in 2004.
All my fruit with very few exceptions has been the shape of those on Mr. Kraft’s site but not the same quantity per cluster. Not like that ugly thing Earl grew. No wonder you "accidentally" left it at home.
http://mitglied.lycos.de/rkraft/Toma...-Car-Willy.jpg
When I get home tonight I’ll have to check to see if I have a photo to share.
So, based on this thread I’m guess I’m not 100% sure I have the true BCW anymore but I’ll keep growing it because it tastes GREAT.
Jerry

 Posted by: NCTomatoman z7/8 NC (clehoullier@nc.rr.com) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 14:26
My view is to look upon anything ordered from Totally Tomatoes, esp. a few years ago, with great suspicion!
Craig

 Posted by: JerryL z6a SW OH (My Page) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 16:40
I thought TT’s problem a few years back, and even now for that matter, was not necessarily incorrect seed but more of an incorrect description/ad. A bit of boasting you might say.
Jerry

 Posted by: sandy0225 z5 Indiana (My Page) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 16:53
Wendey, sorry to bother you asking for tomato seeds from your miraculous, beautiful tomato.I just thought "It never hurts to ask!"
Carolyn, I also didn't realize that you had been giving out Boxcar Willie seeds for the last two years, since I only had been on the gardenweb tomato area for about 6 months now, being a newbie to heirloom tomatoes. Also, I wasn't asking YOU for seeds! but if I ever do, I now know the "proper protocol". thanks for pointing out my ignorance....
Sandy, who has made lots of trades after posting that I had something pretty, unusual, or different. LOL

 Posted by: JerryL z6a SW OH (My Page) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 20:28
Couldn’t find any pictures from previous years so I pick these tonight.
The first weighed in at 11 ¾ oz. While the second, as you can see is 1l lbs 10 ¼ oz. (the quarter added a ¼ oz)

There were some smaller fruit, 6 – 8 oz. size also.
Craig – Maybe you and I should swap seed and grow them out side by side.
Jerry

RE: 2 pound Box Car Willie -
 Posted by: JerryL z6a SW OH (My Page) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 20:33
I guess ya’ll realize that should be ONE lb 10 ¼ oz.

 Posted by: NCTomatoman z7/8 NC (clehoullier@nc.rr.com) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 20:43
Here is a pic of mine:

about 6 ounces- typical size and shape.

Link below to the page at TGSC - they describe as 5-10 oz and show as smooth, like mine grows.
Don't know what you have, Jerry - but if it is good, keep growing it, and let's do a swap!
Craig
Here is a link that might be useful: Page from TGSC catalog with BCW

 Posted by: jimster z7a MA (My Page) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 20:54
Nuts. I was hoping it really was an eleven pounder.
Jim

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 21:07
Wendey's Faux BCW sounds like Jim's, which looks the same as Earl's and how mine did. Whatever it is has a great tomato taste and was among my absolute favourites last year. I had a few fruits on one plant that had no clefts and round shoulders, like a 1lb version of yours, Craig, and I saved seeds from these separately. Maybe the same seed source supplied Totally Tomatoes, Heirloom Seeds and Heirloom Tomatoes?

 Posted by: NCTomatoman z7/8 NC (clehoullier@nc.rr.com) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 21:19
I'd be interested in hearing who Carolyn first provided with the variety....Yoo hoo...Carolyn...paging Carolyn!!!
Craig

 Posted by: wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 22:03
Sandy, I didn't mind that you asked me for seeds but unless I save some from this exceptional tomato I don't have any to share, I might reconsider saving some, I recently read a thread about maggots on someone cup of fermenting seeds, I DON'T DO MAGGOTS!!
Jerry, I'm with you, it doesn't matter to me what this mater is, I'll grow it again and maybe save some seeds, It is by far my favorite this year! It looks like yours in the photo.
Grub, The most recent tomatoes off of my plant are more in the one pd range, and look like Jerrys only no deep clefts and round shoulders. I just ate one last night, sliced plain and emmmmmmmmmm!!!
Can someone help me post my photo, it is sliced but i'm sure you'll get the idea, i'd be willing to email it to someone for posting.
Wendey

 Posted by: Coronabarb SoCA9b/sunset19 (My Page) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 22:21
"I recently read a thread about maggots on someone cup of fermenting seeds, I DON'T DO MAGGOTS!!"
Wendey, try covering the cup with a coffee filter and rubber band. It will keep out the flies. I think you should reconsider saving some of these seeds. :-))
coronabarb

 Posted by: Carolyn137 z4/5 NY (My Page) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 22:37
I'd be interested in hearing who Carolyn first provided with the variety....Yoo hoo...Carolyn...paging Carolyn!!!
After I was able to wake up and germinate the varieties Joe sent me ( there were three that I failed with), that's Box Car Willie, Mule Team, Great Divide, Red Barn and Pasture, I grew them that summer and listed seeds for all of them in the next SSE Yearbook.
This was before Chuck or Glenn were offering seeds online/catalog.
Both Glenn and Chuck asked that I send them seeds for all the varieties in my book that they weren't listing online already, and that was in about 1999 or 2000 .
Off hand I don't remember if I specifically sent BCW to either of them b'c I can't remember if both had it already, and if they did, I'd have to check the back SSE YEarbooks to see if they got it directly from me or from someone else.
So those are the only two commercial folks I would have sent BCW to b'c it rapidly became a fave of SSE members and lots of folks were growing and relisting it.
And since so many owners of small seed compnaies are also SSE members they could have gotten it from my listing or from someone else as well.
So I was the first to see BCW, I have grown it a few times, and if anyone looks in my book you'll see that I say that fruit shape can vary on the same plant, most globes but some oblate, and I do say that fruits are in the one pound range and I'd call that between maybe 8-10 oz and a pound, sometimes a bit smaller, it depends on the year when grown for the most part.
Carolyn

 Posted by: barkeater Z3b VT (My Page) on Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 22:51
My first BCW looks like Jerry's. It's a large flattened beefsteak with a large stem end core. There are more like that on the plant, and there are also smaller ones that look just like Craig's. Seed was purchased from TT this year.

 Posted by: wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Tue, Aug 30, 05 at 11:49
Coronabarb, thanks for the tip, I'm thinking I will try!
I'm a So.Ca Girl myself raised in Culver City, have family in Riverside.
Best wishes, Wendey

 Posted by: TJG911 z5b CT (My Page) on Tue, Aug 30, 05 at 12:19
jerryl, those bcw are shaped nothing like mine in 2003 but do look similiar to my andrew rahart's jumbo red i grew this year. craig's photo looks like my bcw my seed was bought from tgs.
tom

 Posted by: wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Tue, Aug 30, 05 at 20:02
Thanks so much to a very helpful and patient GW member I am now able to show you the only picture that I took of this most wonderful tomato.

 Posted by: gonefishin z7bTx (My Page) on Tue, Aug 30, 05 at 20:58
Wow! ! That looks great Wendey, very meaty. Looks like it would taste great!
Bill P.

 Posted by: wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Tue, Aug 30, 05 at 22:16
Thanks Bill, The slice of tomato was actually bigger than the bread I was putting it on to make a BLTA! It was delish.
Wendey

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 4:59
Beautiful. Mine from last season in link below looks a lot like Earl's, Jerry's and yours, Wendey.
Here is a link that might be useful: Boc Car Willie... not but real nice

My BCW from 2004/05
 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 5:00
Beautiful. Mine from last season in link below looks a lot like Earl's, Jerry's and yours, Wendey.
Here is a link that might be useful: Boc Car Willie... not but real nice

 Posted by: gonefishin z7bTx (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 6:15
Now that is some real class Grub! And quite innovative too. Most use a dime or a quarter for size perspective, but a dollar, U.S. ? Well, it is recognized most world round. ":^)
The mater ain't bad either. ":^)
Seriously, am I seeing some kind of a trend here ? The first ones on many of my plants were exceptionally large this year for some reason, then those that followed were more nearly what I would expect from the various varieties. Maybe it was the crazy weather.
Bill P.

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 7:25
Bill,
Tom from Prue fame was responsible for the notes. I can't wait to post some pics for him of Prue this season. Reason I used the note was that I was formerly using Ausssie currency but you guys didn't know the scale of the coins. So I went to local Bureau de Change, chatted to the lady behind the bars, a blonde with bucks no less, and bought a few greenbacks. Considering the note is behind the fruit it's a fair mater.
But I see a trend w/ all our supposed BCW. It's looks like the same animal. Very very nice taste on my palate. Tomatoey. As everyone seems to reveal, a real sandwich tomato. Blessings to those in the south, Grub.

 Posted by: gonefishin z7bTx (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 7:52
Thanks Grub, those in the "Big Easy" ain't finding it so easy now. They are our neighbors to the east of us and are flooding in here, 240 bus loads from the Superdome to the Astrodome in Houston, premiee babies airlifted out, cargo planes of ill and invalid airlifted out to hospitals, triage centers set up in hangers where planes coming out of there are landing, and on and on. So much devastation and tragic things unfoldidng with each day's dawning. Looters running rampant and disrupting search and rescue efforts, should be shot on sight by the military coming in.(my opinion) Local media and stores organizing relief and donation efforts, a magnificent effort in the face of the worst devastion we have seen from natural causes here. Our Tsunami, on a little smaller scale.
But, we will help our own, get back on our feet and go on! We are strong!
Bill P.

 Posted by: JerryL z6a SW OH (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 8:20
Bill P.
Thanks for those words. I couldn’t have said it better. Once again my eyes are filled with tears thinking of those folks.
This morning I was feeling sorry for myself because my fresh tomato season is just about over. You brought me back from being stupid. A lot of those folks have NO food much less a home grown tomato. Hell, many don’t have a home. But as you said, we are a strong people, and we will come back.
My prayers and best thoughts to all.
Jerry

 Posted by: wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 12:08
Bill, I do agree that all this tomato business seems sooo unimportant when our neighbors to the south are suffering!! My prayers go out to all down on the gulf coast.
Grub beautiful tomato!!
Wendey

 Posted by: TJG911 z5b CT (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 12:26
bill,
the photo of the sandwich you posted, is that mustard on the bread? never would consider that but now i am curious! i'll try it.
grub,
hope prue does well for you down there. please keep us all informed as i am sure you will.
tom

 Posted by: gonefishin z7bTx (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 14:24
Mustard may be an acquired taste Tom, I like it sometimes, not always. Incidentally, there is a couple of slices of boloney hidden under that slice of tomatoe. I even like it with a sausage (sage recipe) sandwich and upon occasion with cheddar cheese. Of course me and Elvis are kinda partial to them peanut butter and bananna sandwiches, hold the tomatoe on that one! ":^_) *Note the sideburn.
It has been insinuated by some that my taste buds ain't what they oughtta be, but some things tickle them. Recently one of those sales promotions in grocery stores that cook and serve tiny bits of this or that to try to get you to buy, offered me a piece of hamburger, about two good bites, and sucessfully made a sale. It was the prime black angus ground beef with just dijon mustard and a couple of bread and butter pickles slices and meat on the bun. It tasted very good that way, but I could not help but think how much better it would be with a big thick slice of juicy home grown mater on it, so I bought a pkg with six quarter pound patties in it. Me, and my money are sometimes parted. ":^)
Bill P.

 Posted by: jimster z7a MA (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 18:12
"Me, and my money are sometimes parted. ":^) "
LOL
"Incidentally, there is a couple of slices of boloney hidden under that slice of tomato."
Aha! That explains the mustard. What a gourmet your are!
Let me suggest a peanut butter, onion and mustard sandwich. It's another perfect combination.
Jim

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 18:24
Been reading up on the Hurricane. Sheesh! Looters firing at rescue choppers and other bad stuff. I remember the Hurricanes, the red cocktails, of a different kind in Bourbon St. I hope everyone makes it through. And do agree tomatoes seem a trifling subject during such times.
But I like my mustard. And the faux BCW is indeed a beatiful sandwich/burger mater.
Tom, I'll certainly be keeping you abreast of Prue. It seemed a fickle one in the early stages for many, so I think it will do well for me.
Lol. Bill...
"Of course me and Elvis are kinda partial to them peanut butter and bananna sandwiches, hold the tomatoe on that one! ":^_) *Note the sideburn. "
And I note you shaves it off later in your post.

 Posted by: canadiantomato z5 Ontario (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 20:33
I grew a supposed Box Car Willie last year with seeds from Solana (Québec). Nice but not BCW, as Carolyn was quick to point out. It looked very much like the large specimens pictured above.
This year, thanks to Carolyn, I am growing the correct one in the same pot. I'm expecting the first ripe ones within days so will be able to deliver a taste verdict presently. No question in my mind that there is bad, or rather, incorrect seed for BCW in wide circulation commercially.
Carolyn, am I the only one who got a few of those old BCW seeds to germinate this year? If so then, I'll be extra vigilant to save as much seed as possible.
Jennifer, who finds herself simply unable to swallow seeds nowadays :>))

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 21:13
Hi Jen,
I look forward to reading your feedback on the real BCW. Seems kinda late. Is it highly productive?
Grub, who wonders why Jennifer can't swallow tomato seeds :0

 Posted by: gonefishin z7bTx (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 21:20
Thanks Jim, I may have to work my way up to that peanut butter, mustard and onion sandwich. My little sis in law used to eat peanut butter and mayo, but I never could quite warm up to that.
Grub, Thankyouthankyouvurrymuch! I only use that sideburn when I do my Elvis impersonnation in print. ":_^)
On a serious note the hurricane news is practically all terrible with only a few bright spots here and there. I never expected to see such a thing in my lifetime, prople dying in the streets from heat and dehydration, mostly the very young and old and /or ill. I understand peoples desperation but so many stayed rather than follow the mandatory evacuation orders, you just can not organize an effort of that magnitude and help them all immediately. In their state, I am sure that they have no idea of the logistics of such an undertaking and the difficulty of delivering the aid needed under those extreme conditions even without the looters and lawless shooting at the helicopters and at the people that are trying to help them. And a report on T.V. said that those radical websites overseas were celebrating our misfortune. In Slidell, La., north of Lake Ponchatrain, the mayor had to pull some 1,600 Police and Firemen off search and rescue to try to restore order. Unbelievable! Conditions continue to deteriorate there, but many thousands have already arrived safely to clean, airconditioned shelters with plenty of food medicine and clothing, and many wanting to help them or take them in. There will be many unsung heroes and heorines come out of all the efforts. One of our forum members husband is involved in a support role. We cannot understand why such things happen, nor why things take the turns they do, but just pray for help and understanding. My thoughts. Two maters.
Bill P.

 Posted by: wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 21:28
Ya know, I'm after a delicious tomato and I must say that I would rather have that BIG beautiful tomato I grew this year than that poor little tomato that Craig grew regardless of the name. No offense Craig.
I agree with Grub it is a terrific sandwich/burger tomato but I also made a tomato salad with just one tomato and it made a whole bowl, the recipe is chopped tomatoes, 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil, finely chopped garlic or some G.powder, and some fresh or dry chopped basil, and a tsp wine vinegar stir let sit for 15 mins so flavors can absorb.
Oh yeah and a lil salt & pepper. Yum :-)
Wendey

 Posted by: ozmantis VIC Aust (allan.richard.m@edumail.vic.gov.au) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 21:46
You have all got me hoping that at least one of my 4 BCW's that I have in are indeed the faux variety. They look fabulous. One of my 4 seedlings looks very different to the other 3 so I guess time will tell.
Dont think I could come at mustard with fresh tomato, but, you dont know if you dont have a go :-)
Cheers Mantis

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 22:35
Hi Mantis,
Where you been man? Great to see you here. I have heaps of saved seeds for Faux BCW. You want some? I have some from fruits just like we see above and some from one fruit from the same batch of plants that had round shoulders and the same great taste.
It does make me feel much better seeing and hearing about these incorrect BCWs coz I was thinking I must be nuts and have mixed up Cuostralee seeds or something.
Grub

 Posted by: ozmantis VIC Aust (allan.richard.m@edumail.vic.gov.au) on Fri, Sep 2, 05 at 0:27
Hi Grub and thanks, but I am going to have a time just trying to fit the ones I have up already. Plus the daughter two weeks ago said "dad, I want to grow a big tomato, those little ones are no good", so in went Striped Turkish Monestry. Then I got talked into (well, not really), ordering two Italian tomatoes and they went in yesterday.
Those bottomless pots of mine are going to be strewn all over the back yard :-)
I might have the faux BCW's anyway eh.
Cheers
Mantis

 Posted by: TJG911 z5b CT (My Page) on Fri, Sep 2, 05 at 14:51
jimster "Let me suggest a peanut butter, onion and mustard sandwich."
gee that does sound good! love peanut butter i think it goes with a lot of things, but bill, mayo (i love mayo) isn't one!
grub,
if your seeds are dated 1996 germination may be spotty. many many ppl had trouble. i did not - 9 or 10 out of 10 this year. the 2002 and 2004 seed should be better if you have that.
tom

 Posted by: gonefishin z7bTx (My Page) on Fri, Sep 2, 05 at 16:22
I agree Tom.
Grub, with your season approaching and our winding down after a drought which has played havoc with many efforts here, I have started cleaning up the garden and preping it for some fall, cool weather stuff, planted about a 40' row of two kinds of cukes along a trellis today, as well as around 200' of row with Rutabagas. I had saved about a half pound of broadleaf mustard seed which I wanted to broadcast but can't find em right now, will have to search further. With the tough summer here in Texas, things have been off a little from normal. I may have some fall tomatoes, hopefully, but right now the little ones are about all that are producing a few, and the old cukes are going to seed, as shown below.":^) (t.i.c.)
Bill P.

 Posted by: jimster z7a MA (My Page) on Fri, Sep 2, 05 at 19:53
Most of my Box Car Willies were right around a pound. This one in this picture was 1 lb. 12 oz. All were quite flattened, heavily ribbed and catfaced. Flavor was good. Seed was from Sandhill Preservation.

Jim

 Posted by: adamus sydney (My Page) on Sat, Sep 3, 05 at 1:24
WOWEEEEE!!. I'm growing 'em no matter what. great pickies, Congrats all.

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Sun, Sep 4, 05 at 22:58
Thanks Tom re Prue: I think they are the 1996 batch of seeds. I'll let you know how they go as I'm taking Wednesday off work to sow my maters at long last.
Bill P.
Thanks for the update, but aren't cucumbers summer plants too? Great looking cuke in the pic, which I assume you're saving seeds from. Oh, and is that a genuine $100 bill or a fake? I can't see from here. Send it down under for verification if its real
Jimsters got the faux BCW too! It's everywhere.
Adamus, mail me for Faux BCW seeds form my save last year. Annoying thing is, I was so excited when I was buying the original lot, that I bought double quantity.

 Posted by: gonefishin z7bTx (My Page) on Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 1:36
G'day Grub. I was just yanking your chain a little ":^) That is why I put the *t.i.c.* on there. It is a slightly reduced photocopy of just one side, but probably representative of the reduced purchasing power with the soaring price of petrol etc.
That is a nice cuke that hid in the mint from me, was on a vine that drooped from the fence and I did not find it till it was yellow. It is a hybrid if I am not mistaken. The new seed that I planted along the trellis should have time to make if we have some decent fall weather like normal, but not much else has been normal this year so who knows. I never could find them danged broadlead mustard green seeds that I had saved and put up SOMEWHERE, so I just went and bought some more, along with some more to try. I am kinda like a kid in a candy store when I get around seed racks.
The tomatoe is from a plant that came up voluntairily in a bucket of compost so I just started watering it to see what would come of it. It is similar to a small Roma, taste is just fair, but beats having to buy any at stores where prices have remained ludicrous all year for the crap that they sell. I have lost most of the old plants to the drought but have nursed a few thru, and have put some transplants into the ground in hopes of some kind of a fall crop. Some years they have done well in the fall, other years not so well and time is getting short to have hopes of any production before first frost here. But we can look longingly at the pics you guys down under post thru our winter.
Regards
Bill P.

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 2:26
*t.i.c*... enlighten this Grub green with envy? I'm walking home in a moment, about 20mins up the hilla nd 15 down the other side, and I'll try and work it out. I think I will be home in time to cut a salad, cut some silverbeet, steal some eggs off the girls,,, yup, spinach frittata and salad. Too easy Send the real $100 down and I'll post a pic of two lobster

 Posted by: gonefishin z7bTx (My Page) on Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 7:06
*Tongue In Cheek* Sorry bout my perhaps poor attempt at humor, the greenback in your link just started me to thinking.
My best to you, so many things interest me. Your evening meal sounds good, our day will soon be dawning, it is good to have a hill to walk about, and we used to have chickens too. I took awhile to look at the baby chicks at the feed store the other day and was tempted. Still am, but they would be another added responsibility that I may not need right now. I am working on getting a load of broken alfalfa products, hay residue, broken bags of meal, pellets etc. that have been swept up, for use in composting and adding to the garden. I even made a mental note of all those 55 gallon barrels of litter they have from cleaning pans beneath the cages of all them chickens, geese, ducks, guinneas, pidgeons, quail, rabbits which appear to be more alfalfa pellets and cracked corn than droppings. The guy cleaning up said that they stack them out back near the trees by the creek until a truck comes to haul them off to the dump. Some of that would go so well with them tons of shredded leaves that I will have this fall.
I think that I am coming to an age where my ideas and ambitions may outstrip my physical energy reserves, but if I were younger, I think that there would be one helluva tomatoe crop in all that somewhere. I guess that it is better than sitting around being bored, playin checkers or joining a spit and whittle group somewhere. ":^)
Bill P.

 Posted by: jimster z7a MA (My Page) on Sun, Sep 18, 05 at 21:45
I just scanned through this thread again trying to see if there is a sure source for the real Box Car Willie. I couldn't find one. Am I correct that it's all up in the air at this point as to which sources have the real and which have the faux?
I got large, good tasting tomatoes from the faux, but I didn't care for the mishapen fruit. I could usually get only 2 or 3 good slices. Of course the rest got cut into chunks, but there were also large areas of blemish which I couldn't salvage.
Jim

 Posted by: Carolyn137 z4/5 NY (My Page) on Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 3:43
(I just scanned through this thread again trying to see if there is a sure source for the real Box Car Willie. I couldn't find one. Am I correct that it's all up in the air at this point as to which sources have the real and which have the faux?)
I also went thru the thread again after reading what you said and I'll say it again:
Box Car Willie is a ROUND blemish free no beefsteak, no clefts, no ribbing, always smooth shoulders variety and I've never but never seen any catfacing with BCW. Some fruits will be slightly oblate ( flattened) as shown in the picture in my book.
BCW and Mule Team, both bred by Joe Bratka's father, are look alikes.
Size is a different matter and in my book I say about one pound and some smaller and I'll still go with that as a rough estimate with one pound being tops. Sure, many varieties can bulk up in a wet season. Grow the variety a second year and see what you get.
But what aren't BCW, at least to me, are the large non smooth shouldered, clefts, sometimes cat faced ones that are shown and talked about here in this thread.
When folks ask for high yielding red varieties for canning or whatever I usually list the following ROUND red varieties:
BCW
Red Brandywine
Break O Day
Bulgarian #7
The picture Craig showed is correct for BCW and his source was TGS.
Jimster, did all plants of BCW from Sandhill give you fruits like that, b;c if they did, that surprises me. Again, I don't know Glens source, whether from me or whatever, but what you show is not the BCW that I grew from original seeds and what my BCW looks like every time I grow it.
I've tried very hard to get the right Red Brandywine out there by distributing lots and lots of RB here and maybe I should try to grow some BCW next summer, if I'm able to, and that's looking dimmer, per the thread in the Conversations area, and send seeds to a few of you, but in the meantime, the only source that looks good to me is TGS based on the picture that Craig showed.
I did distribute lots of seeds for BCW and I really haven't seen any folks who got those seeds from me report here. I know there were some germination problems b/c the seeds were quite old, but you saw Jennifer said she got it going and I know there were others who did as well.
Carolyn

 Posted by: canadiantomato z5 Ontario (My Page) on Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 10:04
Carolyn,
I understand that there is a significant problem with BCW (and a few other desirable varieties) out there, having been in touch with a fair number of market growers over the past year. IRCC, Martha (zucchini) was able to get one BCW seed going but it turned out to be a mule. The 2 that finally germinated for me looked like they would be mules as well...then eventually grew out of that condition. One other variety did too. Very odd looking plants in the early stages as a result though. Don't remember anyone else having success with that batch of your seeds, but perhaps I missed that info.
Anyhoo, given what I think you're saying about your ability to grow or, at least, commit to growing next year, how about I do a big grow-out of BCW with purity/pop. density issues addressed and send (with paperwork) the seeds to you for distribution?
This year was a steep learning curve for larger scale seed production, but I managed or am starting to manage.
Jennifer
BTW, the Dr Lyles from you weren't. Nor were the Azoychkas from Craig and TGS (plants of latter from this year's free seeds via 2 local growers had orange, lumpy but tasty PL?oblates). I won't discuss the problems with TomatoFest seeds until I've contacted Gary.

 Posted by: wendeyzee z6MA (My Page) on Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 10:51
Carolyn, I chose this variety after reading your book, and as I mentioned before this tomato looks like the one you have pictured in the book only bigger and although the first three were in the 2 pd range, the rest have been in the 1 pd range. That is the reason I posted this thread, I wondered if I got a wrong variety and was basically wondering what others were getting from their plants, it never was about being competative as to my tomato being bigger, even though that was a nice surprise! I did grow several other heirlooms and a hybrid and have done a side by side taste comparison, like with big beef, rutgers, moskvich and even Gregori Altai I found the taste of this tomato to be superior with GA being an exception because it was a very different tasing tomato which I also loved. none of my BCW were blemished or catfaced I did get a few that cracked at the stem but that was my fault cuz I left the water on over night. I looked back and the only tomato pics that resembled mine was Jerrys first photo not the second one. It is interesting that so many different looking tomatoes have shown up as BCW. My personal conclusion is, this will remain in my garden as a staple regardless of what the true variety name is because it is fabulous!!
Thank you for coming back to offer your conclusion. Perhaps I should get some seeds from TGS and grow them side by side next year to see what happens and report back :-)
Wendey

 Posted by: Carolyn137 z4/5 NY (My Page) on Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 13:17
Grub and Jennifer
Maybe the same seed source supplied Totally Tomatoes, Heirloom Seeds and Heirloom Tomatoes?
Asked Grub.
And yes that's entirely possible b'c I know Chuck was getting some from them, them being SBD, and I suspect the other two might be as well.
So I just checked the Seeds by Design website and it' snot there but the list is very very abbreviated from last year and while I can't swear to it I'm almost positive that they sold BCW. SBD is wholesale only,so it's not a plce to get seeds from.
(Anyhoo, given what I think you're saying about your ability to grow or, at least, commit to growing next year, how about I do a big grow-out of BCW with purity/pop. density issues addressed and send (with paperwork) the seeds to you for distribution?)
I did some checking. I started a new data book when I moved here in 1999. I grew plants that summer. Looking thru I find I did grow BCW in perhaps 2001.
But I don't know if I saved seeds, I'll have to check since I don't save seeds from everything I grow. The fact is that I haven't put away any saved seeds since 1999.LOL Now that's quite a confession but they're all on paper plates in two large boxes,maybe seeds for about 150 varieties.
And any grown post 1998 would be fresher than the ones I distributed in the seed offer. So I'll cehck that out. One of my winter jobs was to put them away, but I jsut haven't done it.
My concern is not so much for GW members but that commercial seed sites have the right variety. And with just one comment about Sandhill and one about Chuck's and one about Heirloom Seeds that's dicey to go on. With more than one from TT it could be a trend
(BTW, the Dr Lyles from you weren't. Nor were the Azoychkas from Craig and TGS (plants of latter from this year's free seeds via 2 local growers had orange, lumpy but tasty PL?oblates). I won't discuss the problems with TomatoFest seeds until I've contacted Gary.)
Jennifer, the seeds I sent out were the same seeds that were used for the 1998 growout for pictures for my book and I grew 2-3 plants of all varieties, so what I grew from the same seeds was correct. There were some of my own seeds that weren't correct that I sowed for pictures and some of them are listed on the first page of the field guide in my book as recommended varieties.
I also noted in going thru my data book that I'd also grown Dr. Lyle again, post 1998, so fresher seeds, and same story as with BCW in that I don't know if I saved seeds or not and would have to look.
But I never save seeds from wrong fruits, so there's not much more I can say either about the seeds you got, which were fine for me and no one else has reported anything differently here from those seeds. What did your Dr Lyle turn out to be?
I'm also very surprised that your seeds from Craig were not correct b/c he is the source of Azoychka to TGS who had been offering the wrong seeds up until the 2005 catalog.
I've read of no one who got wrong seeds from TGS re their freebie and what you describe is the wrong Azoychka that they were selling previous to the change to Craig's one in the 2005 catalog.
I also grew the wrong Azoychka for my book picture and I'm sure Craig can still remember my phone call to him on that. It had been a long time since we had both trialed it for SSE and I couldn't find my seeds so had purchased some from Linda. The wrong variety was PL and a deep gold but it was not at all lumpy as you say, but more like Yellow Brandywine in being a large beefsteak, no lumps to be seen.
So if you check with those growers I'm pretty darn sure it was from pre 2005 seed they grew it, not the new seed, but I'll be talking to Linda in a few minutes about something else and can ask her as well.
Carolyn

 Posted by: jimster z7a MA (My Page) on Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 13:24
Carolyn,
I grew a few seedlings and kept only two for myself. Both of mine produced the same type fruit. Not all were as irregular as the big one in my pic. Jerry's pics are representative of what I got. None looked like Craig's. Mine all had a large, rough, dark blotch on the blossom end. All were distinctly oblate. Typical size was one pound. Notice the difference in the pattern of locules between Craig's and Wendey's. Anyway, there definitely is an imposter on the loose.
I haven't seen the results of the plants I gave to friends, some of whom are distant from here, but I will try. The seedlings appeared identical, so I expect them to be the same as the ones I grew out.
The BCW described and pictured in your book seems like a tomato I would like to grow. I'm seeking a main crop tomato and it may take another year or two to settle on one. That's why I would like to get seeds of the true BCW.
Jennifer's idea of letting someone else grow the seeds for you next summer is good, if it turns out you are unable to do it. I know you would like to do it yourself, and I sincerely hope you will be able to. What a good turn for the better that would be! But keep her suggestion in mind.
Jim

 Posted by: canadiantomato z5 Ontario (My Page) on Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 14:28
Carolyn, just a quick response for now as today is one of my few indoor and online chances for catch-up...
Wrong BCW is also being sold by several Canadian companies including Solana (as mentioned above) which does quite a bit of shipping south of the border and elsewhere. There was talk of Not BCW last year so this is longstanding.
Dr Lyles (3) were small (3-4 oz) pink oblates on trusses of 6-8. Definitely yours as your stuff was soaked and seeded separately and earlier than anything else. Planted in pots with irrigation and in the field with none. Will save seed and see what comes of them next season. Maybe weather-related???
Craig's seeds for Azoychka came up red. I've told him about it already. Do believe that he sent me an earlier lot than was sent out to the CVs. However, Mike/VS has mentioned online that someone got back to them claiming wrong seed for 2005. How many folks don't know the diff or don't get back to CVs? Don't know.
TGS Azoychka seed was from this year for sure. One grower had never bought from them before; the other clearly stated that the seeds she sowed were from the freebee packet and she hadn't really wanted the variety, hadn't bought any, but thought whattheheck and planted some. I'm leaving it to them to contact Linda. Perhaps the old seed packets were sent out accidently?
All for now,
Jennifer

addendum
 Posted by: canadiantomato z5 Ontario (My Page) on Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 14:40
Carolyn,
Forgot to say that I can add some of this year's BCW to what I'm sending already to Glenn and Mike for trial. Let me know.
J

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 19:17
Sounds all really muddled and interesting. Please keep us up to speed here with any growouts, Jen, and when the real BCW and a reliable source can be found.
I do look forward to sowing those BCW seeds you kindly sent down to me, Carolyn. And I have two other new sources as well.
It's just a shame that a variety given such a good report car, which is among a small bunch that can apparently go head-to-head with hybrids for production and good taste, is grown so widely as a ring-in. Tomato heads are clearly getting the wrong impression right across the land.

 Posted by: ozmantis VIC Aust (allan.richard.m@edumail.vic.gov.au) on Tue, Sep 20, 05 at 1:39
One of the 4 BCW's that I have is completely different to the other 3. They are at the flowering stage now so I took Carolyns book out to study them, and have come to the conclusion that the odd one out is the only true BCW. It has leaves that are the same as the photo in Dr C's book. The others have much finer and more deeply serated leaves and huge flowers.
Mantis

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Tue, Sep 20, 05 at 2:24
And your sauce, I mean source, Mantis?

 Posted by: ozmantis VIC Aust (allan.richard.m@edumail.vic.gov.au) on Tue, Sep 20, 05 at 2:48
TGS and Rosco. I sowed 4 of each and got two of each to germinate. The possible true one is from TGS. Wont know for sure until the they ripen fruit I suppose.

 Posted by: ozmantis VIC Aust (allan.richard.m@edumail.vic.gov.au) on Thu, Sep 22, 05 at 8:19
I checked the runty seedling that didn't get a berth in the planting out stakes. Cant tell what its leaves are like, so I potted him on, in some fresh potting mix and fertilised him well. He is looking better today, so in a week or so I should know if he is like TGS or Rosco. I really should have taken more care with the labeling of the pots eh.
Cheers Mantis

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Thu, Sep 22, 05 at 8:40
Good onya Mantis Bro. I'm watching w/interest coz I REALLY want the real BCW. I dun think it's the Holy Grail, mind you, but more of a GOOD-tasting tom with high productivity. Which is what I want. Thanks for the report. I'm all ears.

bcw
 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Thu, Sep 22, 05 at 8:41
Good onya Mantis Bro. I'm watching w/interest coz I REALLY want the real BCW. I dun think it's the Holy Grail, mind you, but more of a GOOD-tasting tom with high productivity. Which is what I want. Thanks for the report. I'm all ears.

 Posted by: jimster z7a MA (My Page) on Thu, Sep 22, 05 at 14:12
Those are my sentiments, Grub. I should probably try to get the true seeds from a U.S. source though. Probably simpler from the postal angle.
Jim

 Posted by: ozmantis VIC Aust (allan.richard.m@edumail.vic.gov.au) on Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 22:16
Grub here are the two different BCW's. The first has the finer foliage with more serrations and the second I think looks like the one in Carolyns book. What do others think?

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Tue, Sep 27, 05 at 21:46
I think you are right, Mantis. From memory the faux Box Car Willie, the big one pictured above, had a finer foliage than, say, Cuostralee. I'll put a six-pack of beer on the first one being the imposter.

 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Fri, Dec 23, 05 at 5:37
Did you ever get the right BCW, Mantis? What did you think of the Faux BCW?
Went trawling the net and at www.appalachianseeds.com/catalog.html under Box Car Willie is a pic of the most un-box like willie I have ever seen. Seem's a lot of the faux doing the rounds.
Merry Christmas Webbers

And Mule Team!
 Posted by: The_Grub Sydney (My Page) on Fri, Dec 23, 05 at 5:40
And get a load of Mule Team!!!
I've got one in from Heirloom Tomatoes. Wonder if it's a faux? Got a feeling it might be.
Old July 3, 2006   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

That's a ton of info!

Earl's BCW photo:

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2006   #7
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

hum, there is some difference in bcw. i got my seeds from tgs and they were very good, proflic but about twice the size of a golf ball. round, (perhaps slightly flat can't recal for sure) but not like the photo feldon posted.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2006   #8
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Here are a couple of pictures that were included in the GW post.

Box Car Willie – Impersonator - This is what I had been growing for several years.

And the one Craig posted in the GW thread.

So now you all should be able to determine what you have.

I should have seed from the real thing this fall since I got some seed for the correct one from a reliable source and am growing it out this year. Let me know if you think you might want some and I’ll put you on my ‘save seed for list’.
Old July 4, 2006   #9
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Update

Hi,
I grew faux BCW efor a few years and really liked it. Then I got the real deal and tried it along with Mule Team. Not sure why, but neither were prolifi, nor did they thrive, during an otherwise productive season. Which made me think that it might be a fickle one suited to some climates and not others like mine (read hot and humid). Then again it could have been m, so I will try them again this season.
Have a good one.
Grub.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote