Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2006   #1
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

Default KC Farmers Market

A co worker sent me this link, thought I would pass it along to those of you in the area in case you would like to check it out.

I've never been to it, this may be it's first year I'm not sure. I won't get to go to it this evening as I work, but I'll eventually have a wednesday day shift.

http://www.redbridgeroad.org/community.html
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2006   #2
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

I've never been to that one either hehehe

From what I can see on the Map it isn't to far from where I work. Just South of Red Bridge and 71
Old July 6, 2006   #3
robbins
Tomatovillian™

I may be just a skosh biased, but I still think the Brookside Mkt at 63rd and Wornall is the best farmers' mkt in KC - mostly because it's growers only - no trucked in veggies, ubiquitous labled jellies, etc.. But they don't have a Wednesday mkt which is too bad for those mid-week shoppers. (Though truely fresh veggies should stay fresh in your ice box at least a week.)
Just wish they'd find a peach grower!
Robbins
robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2006   #4
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

The Brookside one is the only one I have been to and it was only because of you guys that I went. I enjoyed it very much.

My co-worker asked if I would be taking my tomatoes there and he got this look of disbelief from me...he said your not gonna eat them all are you? <LOL>
Old July 6, 2006   #5
geoguy_TN
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbins
Just wish they'd find a peach grower!
Robbins
No peaches at the farmers' market? I used to get tired of mealy Colorado peaches when I lived in KS.

Move on down here to where it is civilized. Every week a different variety.
Old July 6, 2006   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

" ... that is just across the river from where I have released the whistle pigs." [KCTomato]

I hope the property owner enjoys them more than you did.

About 15 years ago, the Indiana Dept. of Natural Resources did us the favor of "relocating" a few beavers into our county regulated drains. Thanks, IDNR.

Now we have an infestation of beavers to the point that I'm having to hire professional trappers to remove the critters because they have backed the water up against three major levee pump stations that pump the flood water out of our town and into Eagle Slough (the regulated drain) thence into the Ohio River.

Some of their dams artificially raise the normal pool by 3- 4 feet and cause sediment to accumulate against the pump gates. Thank goodness groundhogs don't build dams and only eat about 2 acres of soybeans each per season.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2006   #7
landarc
Tomatovillian™

PV, I am continually amazed at what some agencies think of as good ideas. Releasing beavers into drainage areas strikes me as one of those things. Where would they not see this as a potential future problem?

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote