Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 3, 2011   #1
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Default Best temp for melons?

I have watermelon and muskmelon transplants in cold frames in my garden and they do not seem to be growing at all. I try to keep them between 80-90 degrees whenever I can. Is this a good range for them? I did warm the soil before planting and they have been in the ground about 2 weeks with one small true leaf on all of them.
Old June 3, 2011   #2
erlyberd
Tomatovillian™

Mine are just sitting there as well. Soil temp is low? Ever try Minnesota Midget? Should be well adapted to your local?
erlyberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2011   #3
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Melons seem to spend a lot of time developing the root system and seem slower to show plant growth, at least in my experience. Your temps sound fine to me. Mine were about 8 weeks old and only had about 6 leaves on each plant when I put them out into the garden. I use peat pots for melons (which I really do not like) but is is easier on their root system if you can just set it into the ground.

Even hardened off, they are some of the most difficult to transplant it seems like...they always get a little shock-ee and they really HATE the wind the first week or two they are out.

How are your night time temps?
Old June 4, 2011   #4
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Nights have been in the 50-60 range but they are always about 15 degrees warmer in the frames. The forcast has overnight lows in the 70s this week so I will probably take out the cold frames. I am hoping to try the MM next year. This year I am growing Hales Best and Baby Doll Hybrid. My 5 yr. old loves watermelon and his favorite color is yellow so he wanted to grow the Baby Doll. It is hit or miss here for me with melons but last year I had a great crop with Crimson Sweet.