Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 17, 2012   #1
ElementalDomain
Tomatovillian™

I live in the High Desert of California. My trick is to put them in an aluminet (80%) shade house - the higher the aluminet, the better. I keep fans that are spinning at a pretty brisk rate aimed at the maters. I also have one shade house that has a evap cooler - wouldn't work for those areas that already have high humidity though. In late July I cut the ones I want to keep, down to 12". In late Nov when the temps start to dip, I put them in the greenhouse. If you take care of them they can keep producing for at least 2-3 years. Mine produce pretty much the same size early or late. Interestingly enough I have found that the early varieties (50-60 days) created for colder climates (Oregon Spring, Alaskan Fancy) do exceptionally well and pump out tomatoes for as long as you keep the plants around

Last edited by ElementalDomain; September 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to put some of it in
ElementalDomain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slicing , tomatoes