Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 31, 2014   #1
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Default Prolific Pepper Recs ??

Are pepper plants pretty shy producers in general?

2014's non-hots were Jimmy Nardello, Chervena Chuska and they were not huge producers.
Out of my hot pepper plants: the Shi-shi-to plants were machines, INCREDIBLE and delicious! On the other hand, jalapeno and Big Jim were incredibly stingy...

So are all pepper plants more or less pretty stingy? I would like something for 2015 that is super prolific in production and not a hybrid if it possible.
Is Big Bertha where I have to go to get a productive non-hot pepper?
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2014   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I noticed reduced production in pots however in the ground out of my 56 plants this year only 3 or 4 of them were weak producers. The other 52 were machines and are still producing peppers on a large scale as we speak.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2014   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

That's interesting. I only garden in sub-irrigated containers so maybe I'm just out of luck...
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

For non-hot, Every year, our banana peppers produce a lot of peppers.
For hot, Tabasco produced hundreds of peppers per plant.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2015   #5
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Some years are good and some not so good. Hang in,

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2015   #6
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

For production, I have given up on the bells. In containers, I have had very good production on sweet banana peppers and Ancho/problano (which have some heat). I planted Donkey Ears last year in a not very good spot in the ground and they produced gynourmous peppers very well, even considering that many were nabbed by the resident wildlife. I am going to add them to my roof garden in containers this year to see how they fare.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2015   #7
ReginaAnn
Tomatovillian™

Padrone peppers OVER produced last year. Seriously amazing.
ReginaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2015   #8
Bluesman
Tomatovillian™

Naga morich produced decently.

Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2015   #9
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

For luigiwu, last summer's cool weather in PA really did a number on my pepper plants' production. The year before when we had that run of over 100 degree heat, they produced like crazy. I hope we'll have a somewhat warmer summer this year and have better production.

For paprikas, my Feher Ozon produced decently, my Alma paprika did not. My jalapenos were kind of stingy until late in the season. Then I got a bunch of little ones. Then the frost came. Ah, well.
Old January 4, 2015   #10
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

I would up the size of my containers to see if that helps. I'm mostly in-ground, but doubt if I ever had a Nardello plant yield over 1/2 a bushel per season. Bells have not been a winner for me either but I've only tried King of the North. Red Marconi set some nice, large, early fruit last year, then paused, and set a lot of late fruit, but it didn't ripen. Nagas are notorious heavy producer, super hot too. Your latitude may be an issue for the Nagas and other super hots unless get a jump on sowing, like now-early Feb, and maybe up pot to gallon size pots or better at two months so the plants are ready to rocknroll when they get outside. Just a thought.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2015   #11
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I also wish that I could find a bell (or at least something on the larger side) that has incredible production. It's better now that I don't grow peppers in the full sun. Summers here in Northern Nevada are triple digits and I realized that my pepper plants were suffering out there just baking in the hot sun. In the morning sun/dappled afternoon shade under trees in my yard, I get good production now with elongated conical sweet peppers and last year I tried two different Thai chilies that were very prolific. Doe Hill did okay, as did King of the North, but just okay.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2015   #12
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

I had both Thai hot chili, and shishi-tos that were really phenomenal, had 3 rounds with loads of peppers. Loved them both.
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2015   #13
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Revolution bell pepper is a heavy producer for me but I have only grown it in the ground.
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote