Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 13, 2015   #1
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

Default Will it live?

One of my Cow's Tit seedlings was damaged by a bird this morning (I spooked it when I opened the door, so I know it was a bird). It was snipped down to just above the cotyledon leaves. The seedling had two sets of true leaves and was *just* potted up into a 4" pot yesterday morning.

The baby was not showing any signs of lateral branches yet. I plan on pampering it to see if it'll grow lateral branches from the node at the cotyledon, but I'm not sure if I'm fighting a losing battle on that. Normally I'd just be irritated and toss it, but I only received four Cow's Tit seeds in the swap. All four germinated and were growing slowly, but now I'm down to two good ones. The third one was taken completely down to the soil by the bird. The last two are back under the grow lights until I can get my pop-up greenhouse together.

Of course, the stupid bird would try to thrash my Cow's Tit babies, not the Better Boys that were RIGHT next to them
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015   #2
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

It will likely live but the bird likely set it back quite a bit. Stick him under the lights and see what happens.

The bird has good taste.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

If its above the cotyledons, it will likely be ok. When I grow scions for grafting, I always try to cut above the cotyledons so I can harvest the new sprouts later for body parts. The loss of time shouldnt be too bad, a week or ten days perhaps?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015   #4
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input! It's currently hanging out under the grow lights until it sprouts new branches
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote