Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 19, 2015   #16
rjs55555
Tomatovillian™

Growing out the following crosses from last year.

Red Robin x Black Cherry - Got a whopping 3 seeds from this cross but it did take and I have 2/3 seeds growing indeterminate plants. I have 1 seed left in case something happens to the other plants.

Red Robin x Sunburst f2 (Sunburst from grocery store) - 1 f1 growing and have a few F2 and F3 generations looking for a Microdwarf Yellow.

Most of my seeds were getting old so I decided to grow out about 100 varieties in my little garden this year.... 1 plant/variety is all that I can fit. I will bag a few blossoms on each plant.

Hopefully if all goes well I will have a few Dwarf crosses this year with the following : New Big Dwarf, Al Kuffa, Dwarf Wild Fred, Sleeping Lady, Husky Gold f3.

I got a few in the garden then just looked at the weather forecast and Friday says 36 degrees for the low. Sadly I may have to hold off planting the other plants until the weekend.
rjs55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2015   #17
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Paddy, do you have a full time job and doing crosses is your hobby, or what?

I just want to speak to your mention of Columbianum with a few links,

First, the proverbial Google search'

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...mbianum+tomato

Next this link where they aren't sure what they have:

https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/tomato...ldform-organic

And now the most important link from the SSE message site many years ago:

http://forums.seedsavers.org/forum/g...-l-colombianum

See especially post #8 by Suze as well as the one by Keith Mueller who was then posting as OLTV or something like that,

Hope this helps put things in perspective, and there's info elsewhere that Gerhard Bohl in Germany also listed it by it's older name as he did for other older named ones that now have new names.

Carolyn
Totally a hobby. I make my living as a fly fishing guide. Which keeps me insanely busy during garden season, but is uniquely suited to being a serious gardener. I have about a month off in May (between fishing seasons) to get the garden put in. Summer and fall, I'm up at 4am day after day to be on the water at dawn, but often I'm done at 1 PM. And with summer nights light past 9 way up north here, that gives me plenty of time to play with my plants or ride my mountain bike or go climbing, or hang out with my awesome wife.
On the downside, I guided 49 days in a row at one point last season.
About the time the garden needs real work again (late October) fishing has started to slow down, and I have some time again. In the winter I coach on the Nordic Ski team. All together, I'm not getting rich but I'm getting by. Helps that my wife has a "real" job (she works for the Nature Conservancy), which helps out with things like health insurance.

Great info on "Columbianum". Sounds like what I have is the semi-domesticated. Seeds from Lee Goodwin at J and L gardens. Still good breeding material.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2015   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMc View Post
Totally a hobby. I make my living as a fly fishing guide. Which keeps me insanely busy during garden season, but is uniquely suited to being a serious gardener. I have about a month off in May (between fishing seasons) to get the garden put in. Summer and fall, I'm up at 4am day after day to be on the water at dawn, but often I'm done at 1 PM. And with summer nights light past 9 way up north here, that gives me plenty of time to play with my plants or ride my mountain bike or go climbing, or hang out with my awesome wife.
On the downside, I guided 49 days in a row at one point last season.
About the time the garden needs real work again (late October) fishing has started to slow down, and I have some time again. In the winter I coach on the Nordic Ski team. All together, I'm not getting rich but I'm getting by. Helps that my wife has a "real" job (she works for the Nature Conservancy), which helps out with things like health insurance.

Great info on "Columbianum". Sounds like what I have is the semi-domesticated. Seeds from Lee Goodwin at J and L gardens. Still good breeding material.
Maybe I mentioned this before, but I was just looking at the four crosses you sent me for the Experimental Section of my seed offer which I hope to get up between Wimbledon tennis in late June and the US tennis Open a bit later, and there it was as parentage in one of your crosses;

Steelhead.

We don't have that trout here in the East but when I saw it in the fish section of the grocery store I bought some.

Do you consider it a good eating fish b'c I didn't, it smelled fresh and all that, but no way could I say it tasted even good, let alone great.

I may have also told you that my brother is an internationally known bamboo rod maker, new ones as well as refurbishing older classic ones.

I went on a few fishing trips with him, but standing around in hip boots or sitting with a rod in my hands waiting for some poor fish to take the bait is not me. When I was in Colorado he wanted me to find feathers of this and that b'c he was also an exellent fly tyer, or would that be tye flyer.

What about Salmon, I like that and isn't Idaho known for salmon?

Sorry about the off topic but Steelhead was the cause, not me.

Carolyn
Old May 19, 2015   #19
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

You must be in a colder part of PA, as my local forcast just calls for 45F Wednesday and Friday nights.

{missing smilie cause I couldn't find one to fit}

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs55555 View Post
Growing out the following crosses from last year.

Red Robin x Black Cherry - Got a whopping 3 seeds from this cross but it did take and I have 2/3 seeds growing indeterminate plants. I have 1 seed left in case something happens to the other plants.

Red Robin x Sunburst f2 (Sunburst from grocery store) - 1 f1 growing and have a few F2 and F3 generations looking for a Microdwarf Yellow.

Most of my seeds were getting old so I decided to grow out about 100 varieties in my little garden this year.... 1 plant/variety is all that I can fit. I will bag a few blossoms on each plant.

Hopefully if all goes well I will have a few Dwarf crosses this year with the following : New Big Dwarf, Al Kuffa, Dwarf Wild Fred, Sleeping Lady, Husky Gold f3.

I got a few in the garden then just looked at the weather forecast and Friday says 36 degrees for the low. Sadly I may have to hold off planting the other plants until the weekend.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2015   #20
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

And I find my 96 plants to be almost overwhelming (74 tomatoes and 22 Pepper plants] (Not counting some garden huckeberry).

I have to acknowledge my job isn't as conducive to the garden as yours, and I don't get any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMc View Post
550 plants total spread among the above.
Old May 20, 2015   #21
rjs55555
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I live in Latrobe at to bottom of the mountains. They just took another degree away for Friday on Weather.com now 35.... Hopefully they are wrong. I only got 7 plants in so it wont be bad covering them and all of the other plants should be fine in the garage overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
You must be in a colder part of PA, as my local forcast just calls for 45F Wednesday and Friday nights.

{missing smilie cause I couldn't find one to fit}
rjs55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #22
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

There has been no addtion on any thread in the cross talk forum for six days, Some of you must be making crosses by now? Or having crosses mature?

I ended up eliminating all duplicates of any tomato that was't a 'grow-out' (i.e. if they were an existing, 'stable' variety, I only planted one of that variety, so endied up giving another 20 plants away at my place of employment (I had earlier given away about 40 plants)). So I only have 57 tomatoes planted out

Met my goal of getting all my tomatoes in by the end of May and the peppers shortly thereafter. I have tomatoes flowering, but none of the ones that I want to cross are flowering yet.

If I can, I plant to document my pollination method with pictures. It works well for me (though I am not claiming to have a unique method). I would use a toothbrush if I wanted to try to make sure a blossom was pollinated, but I will never again use the toothbrush method to gather pollen.
Old June 11, 2015   #23
bower
Tomatovillian™

hey Chris,

The bulk of the greenhouse tomatoes here were planted the second week of May, so right now we are at the fruit setting and growing stage and evaluating the F2's - fruit shape, earliness, promptly setting and growing fruit or not etcetera, as also the new OP's. The only plants that don't have pea sized fruit yet are the "midseason" ones - not many this time. Cluster size and shoot architecture also being examined for both OP's and F2's for the all important fruit to shoot ratio. (I could say "harvest index" as most of the science uses this measure, but I won't be weighing or processing the shoots by any means to get a figure - dry weight of the plant will not be in my reckoning, maybe fruit weight and plant height if I get that together.)

As regards the growth habit, the only plants that have reached 'determination' ie made a terminal cluster are the OP's. - Jagodka, Little Bells, Zolotoe Serdtse, Mr. Bruno (although this one is shooting up again), and Bursztyn has 2 lfs between clusters so may terminate as well. F3's of the determinate cherry from last year have yet to terminate, and the cluster-leaf-cluster pattern is best described as erratic - 3 nodes between then 1, 1, then three again.... for example. Which the determinate F2's were as well, not the happy I gotcha one or two leafs between it must be. And they are each randomly different. And this is what I'm also seeing in another cross between the F2 determinate Black Nipper cherry last year, and Zosbe F1 (Zolotoe Serdtse- semi-det X Black Early indet.) I have 4 plants of the cross, expecting 1/2 determinate and 1/2 black and 1/2 with a heterozygous Beta so some orange expression. 1/2 the plants are compact while the other two are huge - none of them have terminated but they are all super early so if I lose my marbles, at least there will be cherry tomatoes! I have a half dozen F2's of Zolotoe Serdtse X Indian Stripe. There is one obvious beefsteak from the flowers and it looks to be fully indeterminate and black based on flower colour. Others are not a bit clear - three or two or one node between clusters but still, plenty of threes that would make you wonder..... no termination yet. I have picked out a couple that I'm pretty sure are determinate but they are showing off just how they can do what they want to - determinate ain't determinism, not in the F2's here anyway. As many leaves as they like, where they like. They are all setting fruit (what a healthy obsession to have, people get fed as a result! Small mercies.)

Now would be the time to make some early crosses if the right conditions prevail, so I am thinking about this a lot, what crosses would I make based on the available information including simply clues about fruit colour, shape etc. to decide which would make a fitting cross to take me closer towards something I want to stablilize.

On the flower colour, it looks like I ended up with quite a few of my OP's this year having tangerine gene, both orange and "yellow-orange" ones. This would be nice to breed into the yellow fruited lines I'm working on, since homozygous tangerine is expressed in yellow as well as red fruit, unlike Beta which requires red-red alleles. I have a sweet shaped PL heart in the Kim Kupola line, but no idea if it is red or yellow. Hum.

Everything not tomatoes needs to be planted here, asap. Busy.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #24
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Lots of new crosses and growouts, just not detailing them here. Thanks for sending back the F2s, they arrived safe and sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
There has been no addtion on any thread in the cross talk forum for six days, Some of you must be making crosses by now? Or having crosses mature?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2015   #25
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

I've got over 500 F2's 3's and 4's in the ground. It's the "waiting game" period for me.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #26
travis
Tomatovillian™

My tomato garden this year is nearly all either F1 plants from last year's crosses, or subsequent grow-outs of previous crosses. The exceptions are inbred parents of the crosses with which to compare to the crosses and grow-outs.

However, I have been unable to make additional crosses this year due to administering my father's estate following his passing. When I get back home it will be too late in the season and too hot to make crosses.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #27
bower
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for your trouble, Travis.
I hope you have a good season and find the selections you're looking for.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #28
travis
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Bower. Things looked great when I left. Hopefully the ones in pots get watered.

Hope your season is the best ever!
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
My tomato garden this year is nearly all either F1 plants from last year's crosses, or subsequent grow-outs of previous crosses. The exceptions are inbred parents of the crosses with which to compare to the crosses and grow-outs.

However, I have been unable to make additional crosses this year due to administering my father's estate following his passing. When I get back home it will be too late in the season and too hot to make crosses.
Bill, I'm just reading this thread now and read about your father passing on. I'm so sorry to hear that. I think it was just a couple of years ago that you were back East and drove through the rain to see him if I remember correctly.

Please let me know when you get home b/c I have a few items I want to talk to you about if you have the time.

Carolyn
Old June 15, 2015   #30
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Just harvested last night a few flowers of Amethyst Cream and Matt's Wild Cherry for use in upcoming breeding. So I'm finally starting this breeding season!!!

Last edited by crmauch; June 15, 2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Corrected statement