Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 9, 2015   #1
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Tone

So I've ran out of tomato maker and have bought a sack of Tomato Tone...It says 3 Tbs every two weeks. For established plants in 20-30 gallon pots, does this seem adequate? Plus I have to water it through 3 inches of mulch.
Old July 10, 2015   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

That's the section for a garden bed. Read further down the bag to the established potted plants section. Since we are in containers, I figure it would classified as a potted plant and I have been using those directions on my tomato and veggie plants with the Epsom Salt.

It says Sprinkle 1.5 tsp of TT for every 4" of pot diameter into the soil along the outer edge of the pot.

In case your can't read your bag.

I feed mine every other week and the TT will eventually get past your mulch. Just move it to the side, do your TT and them cover the spot backup again.

Is that big of a container for one plant or more?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I like to mix my organic fert with the potting soil (as well as I can, usually the soil gets hard with surface roots). Most of the stuff in it will not be available to plants until bacteria get their hands on it.
3 tablespoons every 2 weeks seems on the high side (not sure what the formula is) but if your plants are big , they can take it. I use around 1 big spoon every 2 weeks of 7-3-10 for pruned plants.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #4
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato-tone

I love Tomato-tone! The old formula was better, but the 3.4.6 ratio is also good. I've been using it for 5 years now. I buy it in 18lb bags. Once my tomato seedlings are at least 5 or 6 inches tall, I transplant them in their 15 gallon container. I wait 2 weeks to let the seedling get established, then I use 3 tablespoons around the drip line. I dig a small trench ( about 3 inches from the stem) and sprinkle the TT around the trench and cover up with more compost as a side dressing. I water afterwards. Really helps to promote root growth and tomato blossoms. I continue to use TT every two weeks all through the growing season.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
I love Tomato-tone! The old formula was better, but the 3.4.6 ratio is also good. I've been using it for 5 years now. I buy it in 18lb bags. Once my tomato seedlings are at least 5 or 6 inches tall, I transplant them in their 15 gallon container. I wait 2 weeks to let the seedling get established, then I use 3 tablespoons around the drip line. I dig a small trench ( about 3 inches from the stem) and sprinkle the TT around the trench and cover up with more compost as a side dressing. I water afterwards. Really helps to promote root growth and tomato blossoms. I continue to use TT every two weeks all through the growing season.
+1- crazy about the stuff, I use it the same way in my open containers, and a 3 cup strip of it goes into my Earthboxes at the beginning of every season.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #6
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies all!