Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old November 15, 2015   #16
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
If Meristem growth is recessive, should we be able to get about 25 percent MG plants in our f2, and if we select those wouldn't it stick?
I asked because my Brandywine x Bloody Butcher cross f1 was smaller tomatoes (4 Oz). I chose a beefsteak looking f2 that was larger (8 Oz), and only had two out of ten. The F3's are all 8 Oz and larger, up to a pound (18 plants grown).
The large-size traits tend to be recessive, so once you've found that F2 (or later) plant, it will remain stable for the trait [barring another cross happening].

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Quick edit here to ask another question, I also selected an f2 that was a small pink tomato. So if I absorbed your lessons I know the pink is the recessive color coming back out, it will stick now, and I should still see some large tomatoes in the future lines because the Meristem growth is inactivated or disabled( dominate), but the recessive still lurks in the line? Something like that ? lol hahaha
You might or might not see larger tomatoes in the future of this line. Roughly 1/3 of the small tomato F2 plants will have two copies of the small-fruit gene and so will have no potential for larger progeny. The only way to tell is if the F3s from this line do or don't produce plants with larger fruit [is to grow out a bunch], but the odds are good (2/3) that they will.

Last edited by Darren Abbey; November 15, 2015 at 11:26 PM. Reason: missed part of a sentance.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2015   #17
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for clarifying my thoughts.
For my f4 selection, I am growing a 100 or more plants from seed out of 3 plants. I want to give myself a good chance for a couple of super tasty selections for my f5, since the line will be getting closer to being stable. The f3's all tasted good, and of course the tastes ranged from BB tasting to that rich, complex BW type of taste, but they are earlier.
The f2 small pink tomato is basically a pink version of Bloody Butcher, I will plant a few of those too, and see how they pan out early-wise.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote