Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 30, 2015   #1
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet Seedless Hybrid

Anybody grown this one? Interested in trying it for processing purposes and for customers with stomach issues.

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tom...l#BVRRWidgetID
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2015   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

Not really much of a variety, in my opinion. Expensive seed, and the tomatoes I got had seeds, were bland, did not have much character.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2015   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Figures. Burpee has become so unreliable and dishonest.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2015   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I don't think that there is a SEEDLESS tomato. But the ones that are "Parthenocarpic" usually have fewer seeds, as they don't require pollination. I could be wrong.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2015   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I've grown it a couple of times. They have undeveloped seeds much like a "seedless watermelon." I got them for drying, and they did OK for that. But there are lots of paste tomatoes that have not too many seeds and you will end up with more tomato after drying. Taste? OK, I thought -- nothing special, but not bad either. But as others say, very expensive seeds.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2015   #6
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
"They have undeveloped seeds much like a "seedless watermelon.""
Interesting, i'm not aware of the genetic involved
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #7
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Me either! So I did a little research. Here is a brief explanation of the watermelon.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/n...0/h5may00.html

and:

http://www.whataboutwatermelon.com/i...ss-watermelon/

I'm guessing that producing true seedless tomatoes would be done by a similar method -- perhaps an interspecies cross with a close relative with a different number of chromosomes. But that's a guess.

-GG
Old December 2, 2015   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

There are lots of parthenocarpic tomato varieties. Sweet Seedless is just a Johnny Come Lately in that niche. Oregon State University has released several parthenocarpic varieties that will set fruit in early or cool seasons where insects, wind, or temperatures are not sufficient to the task. I suppose parthenocarpic tomatoes also are desirable for greenhouses.

Anyway, you can Google tons of information on parthenocarpic horticulture, tomatoes and other veggies and fruit. I don't think it requires outcrossing to wild tomato relatives to achieve parthenocarpic tomatoes. Many garden varieties already exist. Sweet Seedless is nothing special in that category.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #9
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew it a couple of years ago for a cousin whose husband has diverticulitis and they raved about the plant, lots of production of smaller tomatoes. I initially got the seeds from Seeds N' Such which were selling 5 seeds for a couple of bucks. The following year I tried the ones from Burpee and the report was not as good. So there must be a variation from seed suppliers or just different growing conditions between the two years.
I should note that both times the plant was grown in a large self watering container.

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2015   #10
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Seedless Plant in Garden 2012

Here's a mediocre picture of Burpee's Sweet Seedless from 2012. I've grown it both in dirt and in an EarthBox. For me it has performed OK -- not a standout, but not a dud, either. Is it worth the extra cost, I'd say no. Is it unique, yes. I've grown a lot of tomatoes that had fewer-than-typical seeds or were seedless early in the season, but this is the only one I've grown that is virtually seedless first to last. Worth a try? Since there are now other sellers and can be bought for a few $, it might be worth the gamble if you're curious. Sorry for the weeds!

-GG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seedless 2012 (Medium).jpg (154.6 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Greatgardens; December 3, 2015 at 09:05 AM.