Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 15, 2021   #1
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Default My 2021 Tomato Grow List

Tomatos:
All my crosses (f3)
- Cruz Captain lucky/ verde de las landas (four different lines)
-Cruz Ramallet o tomate de almacenamiento: Ibiza blanca/100 en rama. (Two different lines)
-Cruz stick/indigo drops (two different lines)

Tomatos Ramallet o storage tomatoes
-Ibiza blanca: Without a doubt my favorite Ramallet tomato, the tomatoes have been kept for over a year
-100 de colgar: Another highly productive and long-lasting multiflora favorite.
-San lloren: Another good conservation tomato, I have been growing it for a year and I wanted to have it again, and thus have fresh seeds.
-Mallorquin pequeñito: Another of my multiflora and productive favorites, to have fresh seeds and enjoy this tomato.
-Son Valls: New for me this season, authentic relic of the Balearic Islands, I have very good expectations about it.
-Can congos: New to me too this season
-Son Negre: New to me this year.

Various

-Tundra: Without a doubt it was the tomato that most surprised me by its flavor last season because of its flavor, Excellent.
-True colours: I love its taste
-Midnight sun: Another one of my favorites
-Taiga: Every year I grow it, I love it
-Polaris: Unique tomato for my taste
-Miracle: Another tomato that surprised me last season, is a captain lucky in small, and very productive
-Sun gold select: I have grown sun gold f1 for two years and it has not seemed anything special, however I read that it is one of the favorites for many, this year I have put this variety because they recommend that it is better than f1.
S.M.F.L: A unique multiflora for me, I have never seen so many flowers together, every year it returns to my garden, at the beginning of forming the set of flowers it looks like a broccoli.
-Gregory altay: New to me this year.
Cartujo: A new Spanish tomato for me this season, I have very good expectations.
Abanillas: New for me, a Spanish tomato that has several awards for the best national tomato for its flavor
-Verde de las landas: Every year it comes back again, without a doubt one of my favorites by far, I can't imagine my garden if this variety.
Chapman: Third year in a row with me, a very productive plant with huge tomatoes, it can be seen that it adapts very well to my climate.
Negro de Arizcuren: New for me this year, Spanish relic with very good recommendations.
Kbx: New to me this season, I loved Kellogg's breakfast, and they recommended this variety that is better than kb.
-Garrote Bicolor Aracenes: Spanish relic that returns after four consecutive years, a marvel.
-German johnson: New for me this year, I have planted it for your good comments.
-Rosa de barbastro: Famous Spanish tomato. I tried it years ago and it didn't seem like anything good to me, maybe I didn't have the appropriate seeds, this year I got the original seeds from the seed network and I'm going to give it another chance.
-Big cheef: I love this tomato for its flavor and productivity
-Lietor: Another Spanish tomato that comes back with me year after year, excellent
-Rosao de Ayerbe: Another one that always comes back with me, a unique tomato for me and an authentic Spanish tomato flavor.
-Margaret curtain: A tomato that was recommended to me last year and indeed it seems to me an exceptional tomato, I love it
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2021   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful list, I’m so interested in seeing photos of all your Spanish varieties especially.
So pleased that you are growing my varieties again as well Nico! I hope your season is wonderful
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2021   #3
BobWicks
Tomatovillian™

Default Small Garden -- Short List

My space is very limited in a small backyard in Brea, California. I have space for eight tomato plants a year. Four of those spaces are taken by two each of Big Beef and Mortgage Lifter. Big Beef is a reliable producer of many tomatoes, and Mortgage lifter produces large, flavorful heirlooms. One space also goes to Sweet-100 for all the little salad tomatoes I can use. This year, the remaining spots go to two Cherokee Chocolate and one Brandy Boy. I grew Cherokee Purple last year with stingy productivity but superb taste. That explains my hope for better results this year with Cherokee Chocolate. Brandy Boy promises the flavor of Brandywine without the skimpy production of its parent.
BobWicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2021   #4
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I really like your list of tomatoes that you will grow this year. After the unsuccessful 2020 season, when I did not harvest any tomatoes due to a plant disease, I will grow six new Spanish tomatoes for me again (Verde de las Landas, Garode Bicolor, Gordo Extremeňo, Rosa de Ayerbe, Rosa Melillerd a Gordo Patones) whose seeds you sent me. I wish you a successful season and, like Karen, I'm looking forward to your pictures of tomatoes.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2021   #5
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much, transplant in its final place a few weeks ago, the weather is not good now, I hope that in a few days my plants will take off with force, I will gladly keep you informed
Old April 17, 2021   #6
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

Yes, your list is very good!
Have a great season!
Anneliese
asmx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2021   #7
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Have a great season Nico. Enjoy those delights you are growing. Looking forward to hearing how your ramallet crosses turn out.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2021   #8
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Your list is wonderful. I hope to see your pictures of the Spanish varieties especially as well. I am wondering what is SMFL?
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2021   #9
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Every year I say I am going to grow less.
I try to just walk past plants for sale,but I get the shakes.
The list is up to 22 now
One is saved seed from 4th of july hybrid,it reverted back to one of it's parents.
I have been growing it's saved seeds for about 7 years now,I lost track already.
Some plants,like the red robin,I haven't seen locally in years.
Some 1st timers are italian tomato tree,which is just the old trip-l-crop renamed.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2021   #10
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default My tomatoes

I have German Johnson, Mortgage Lifter, AGP, Brandy Boy, Giant Belgium, Ponderosa, C PurpleXCarbon, ARGG, Mr Stripey, Pineapple, Lucky Cross, Amana Orange, Big Beef, SOTW, 93 plants. I staked about twenty yesterday and my arm was like jello..dread the staking. One Ponderosa in coir and perlite using the MB formula. One Ponderosa in Pro Mix and perlite. They are side by side in 18 gal totes. 91 in my side yard clay garden 40 yrs young and early blight a problem. No crop rotation a bad proposition.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2021   #11
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasGarcia View Post
Tomatos:
All my crosses (f3)
- Cruz Captain lucky/ verde de las landas (four different lines)
-Cruz Ramallet o tomate de almacenamiento: Ibiza blanca/100 en rama. (Two different lines)
-Cruz stick/indigo drops (two different lines)

Tomatos Ramallet o storage tomatoes
-Ibiza blanca: Without a doubt my favorite Ramallet tomato, the tomatoes have been kept for over a year
-100 de colgar: Another highly productive and long-lasting multiflora favorite.
-San lloren: Another good conservation tomato, I have been growing it for a year and I wanted to have it again, and thus have fresh seeds.
-Mallorquin pequeñito: Another of my multiflora and productive favorites, to have fresh seeds and enjoy this tomato.
-Son Valls: New for me this season, authentic relic of the Balearic Islands, I have very good expectations about it.
-Can congos: New to me too this season
-Son Negre: New to me this year.

Various

-Tundra: Without a doubt it was the tomato that most surprised me by its flavor last season because of its flavor, Excellent.
-True colours: I love its taste
-Midnight sun: Another one of my favorites
-Taiga: Every year I grow it, I love it
-Polaris: Unique tomato for my taste
-Miracle: Another tomato that surprised me last season, is a captain lucky in small, and very productive
-Sun gold select: I have grown sun gold f1 for two years and it has not seemed anything special, however I read that it is one of the favorites for many, this year I have put this variety because they recommend that it is better than f1.
S.M.F.L: A unique multiflora for me, I have never seen so many flowers together, every year it returns to my garden, at the beginning of forming the set of flowers it looks like a broccoli.
-Gregory altay: New to me this year.
Cartujo: A new Spanish tomato for me this season, I have very good expectations.
Abanillas: New for me, a Spanish tomato that has several awards for the best national tomato for its flavor
-Verde de las landas: Every year it comes back again, without a doubt one of my favorites by far, I can't imagine my garden if this variety.
Chapman: Third year in a row with me, a very productive plant with huge tomatoes, it can be seen that it adapts very well to my climate.
Negro de Arizcuren: New for me this year, Spanish relic with very good recommendations.
Kbx: New to me this season, I loved Kellogg's breakfast, and they recommended this variety that is better than kb.
-Garrote Bicolor Aracenes: Spanish relic that returns after four consecutive years, a marvel.
-German johnson: New for me this year, I have planted it for your good comments.
-Rosa de barbastro: Famous Spanish tomato. I tried it years ago and it didn't seem like anything good to me, maybe I didn't have the appropriate seeds, this year I got the original seeds from the seed network and I'm going to give it another chance.
-Big cheef: I love this tomato for its flavor and productivity
-Lietor: Another Spanish tomato that comes back with me year after year, excellent
-Rosao de Ayerbe: Another one that always comes back with me, a unique tomato for me and an authentic Spanish tomato flavor.
-Margaret curtain: A tomato that was recommended to me last year and indeed it seems to me an exceptional tomato, I love it
I'm also growing some Ramallets this year. As every year, Pequeñito Mallorquin, Sain Llorenc des Cardassar, I missed the Bombet this year. I have to admit that somehow I can't do the storage. I guess I don't grow them in the right conditions (I think I'm too humid). This year I grow some under the roof in containers (so that it doesn't rain on them) and I added a lot of wood ash (Ca, K, P) to the soil. I'll see how it works for me. Of the new ones I have Ibiza Bianca, Flor de Artana, des Figueral. I had 100 de Colgar seeds from Baikal in 2014, but it did not germinate for me. I look forward to information about these interesting varieties from you.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2021   #12
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Hello everyone, the tomato plants are beginning to bear small fruits, I show you photos of the stick / indigo drops (f3) cross, I am very excited since I think I am getting what I was looking for, a plant with leaves as peculiar and unique as stick and multiflora very early blue, about 60 days. Plant about 20 plants and each one of them has tomatoes of different shapes and colors, I think that two of all the plants have intense blue tomatoes that I love, and maybe next year (F4) these lines will follow, I know what else forward I can take surprises.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1621451733754.jpg (67.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 1621451733758.jpg (88.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 1621451733768.jpg (58.6 KB, 116 views)
Old May 20, 2021   #13
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

How unusual Nico! Looks like you are having a good season already
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2021   #14
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful as well as unusual Nico. Hope that the taste is there for you as well as the looks
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2021   #15
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much Karen and Whwoz, I hope to get what I am looking for, everything is very fun