Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 9, 2021   #31
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by atilgan View Post
There are two zones. If you can grow fig trees you are in good zone otherwise you are in bad zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
A very Turkish response! In Georgia, it would be peach trees.
Then I guess I'm in a good zone Scott, as the peach trees in my yard seem to be loaded this year! Who knew you could grow peaches in Northern Illinois? Hmmm...maybe I should try figs?
Old June 10, 2021   #32
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello D.J.,
the subjective nature of taste is exactly the reason why I am asking for help. It disqualifies the general quality words. I'd need some specific words that most people understand in a similar way. Btw, I tried to do that in my mother tongue and I failed.
E.g. tart. Sure, it basically means sour, but does it include a hint of bitterness too?
Full taste: what exactly is that? Strong "tomato" flavor?
Round - a word winemakers use a lot, but I've never known what to imagine under that.

Some words, unfortunately mostly the negative ones, are quite clear: bland, wishy-washy, boring (maybe they are the opposites of full taste).
There must be a dictionary of taste with clear definitions - there are dictionaries for almost everything.

It's funny, but peach and apricot growers here are on cloud nine about the cold spring weather this year: no losses to frost as the trees were slow to develop blossom. They expect excellent harvest.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2021   #33
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

The pictures on seed packets never match the actual tomato.
If possible when doing research search for photos of actual plants.
I grew gladiator last year,impressed with the seed packet photo.
The tomatoes were a fraction of that size.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2021   #34
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

On USDA hardiness zone system.
It is about winter than growing season. When it comes to vegetables gardening it has very little or no use or significance for a home gardener. It tells you nothing about summer weather and temperatures. You can have two or more locations with the same USDA zone number with totally different growing climate. Let me just give you an example. Seattle WA and Atlanta GA areas are both on zone 7a (almost). But when it comes to growing conditions they are not nearly similar.

Heat Zone. make more sense when it comes to summer growing climate.

LFD to FFD. This can give you a ball park figure as how long your frost free growing season is. For example, mine are April 15 to November 15 (roughly). But again what happens between those two dates is another story.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2021   #35
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

I've just learnt a new word: tangy. Is that to mean "full aroma and taste"?
Milan HP
Old June 10, 2021   #36
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

got a bite to it,acidic.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2021   #37
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Another question:
Here in Europe we have got a system that divides plants, namely veggies, according to their nutrition needs. There are four groups called "trať" (which translates as "track", but I don't think the translation fits). Group 1 needs the most nutrients and fertilizing prior to plant-out is a must (pumpkins, cucumbers, toms, peppers, etc.). I couldn't find anything about it in English. Can you help me?
Milan HP
Old June 23, 2021   #38
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan HP View Post
Another question:
Here in Europe we have got a system that divides plants, namely veggies, according to their nutrition needs. There are four groups called "trať" (which translates as "track", but I don't think the translation fits). Group 1 needs the most nutrients and fertilizing prior to plant-out is a must (pumpkins, cucumbers, toms, peppers, etc.). I couldn't find anything about it in English. Can you help me?
Milan HP
Maybe the four-year crop rotation based on the plant family?
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2021   #39
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Paradajky,
yes, that's something similar but it's about nutrition not the diseases. We are supposed to grow Group 2 after Group 1 and so on. Strictly based on their fertilizing needs.
Milan HP

P.S. Are you of Slovak origin?
Old June 23, 2021   #40
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

I read something about that a couple weeks ago while researching companion planting and cover crops, but I can't find the specific website, I wish I had saved it now! But, my understanding of crop rotation, it is not just for disease management, but also to keep from depleting the soil from nutrition.

Anyway, I did a little searching, and found something about 5 subgroups of veges, but that's not what you are looking for I think?

Then I found this buried inside an article about crop rotation:

Quote:
NutrientNeeds
Heavy feeders: Corn, tomatoes, beets, cabbage family crops (broccoli, Brussels sprout, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, kohlrabi, radish), celery, cucumber, endive, lettuce, parsley, pumpkin, cucumber, squashes, rhubarb, spinach, sunflower
Light feeders: Root crops (carrot, garlic, leeks, onion, parsnip, potato, rutabaga, shallot, turnip), bulbs, herbs, mustard, pepper, chard
Soil builders: alfalfa, beans, clover, peas

Then I found this article here, similar, they call it crop rotation based on nutrient demand:
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/ar...al-vegetables/

These are crop rotations, however, they are grouping them by nutrient requirements, so hopefully on the right track, or someone else with more experience will chime in.

PS: yes !
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2021   #41
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Paradajky,
yes, that's exactly what I was talking about. Thanks a lot. So, they are called "feeders". Good to know. And of course, it pays off to know who is who and grow them accordingly. You've been very helpful.
Milan

P.S. Which generation?

Tags
category , fruit size , plant size