Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2021   #1
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Default watering in clay soil

I've double-digged and amended the clay soil in the garden to be well draining, but it retains moisture. Some tomatoes in the ground seem to look better following a watering, even though the soil is moist/wet (not sogged), especially after 5-7 days no water. Maybe it's just placebo. Tomatoes are still young, some just beginning to set fruit.

We've had mostly overcast weather, so it has been taking longer for the soil to dry out.

Primary concern will be too much water and cracked tomatoes. Would you all suggest I maintain course and continue watering by watching the plants, or try going a little longer before watering again? It will probably change as the overcast weather burns off and temps warm up, but meantime.

Thank you!
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2021   #2
Solanum315
Tomatovillian™

My feeling is that once the plants are established, say about a foot tall, that the clay soil retains a lot of moisture from the spring rains and actually requires less water than other soil types. I would suggest just watching your plants. Wilting usually but not always suggests a thirsty plant and yellowing usually but not always suggests an overwatered plant.

http://worldtomatoes.blogspot.com/
Solanum315 is offline   Reply With Quote