Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 20, 2008   #16
organichris
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if this is the best thread to pose this question, but here goes: I bought and planted a Rutgers Select plant yesterday, mistakenly thinking it was indeterminate (evidently some varieties of this one are indeterminate). Anyway, I am wondering how long it will produce. I was hoping to grow one super-huge tomato plant, sufficient to supply me with enough tomatoes during summer. Will I just get my last tomato in July and that'll be it? My understanding is that the determinate plants only get up to four feet tall, and production is limited. I grew a Celebrity a while back, but I can't remember how long it produced; I do remember that it didn't get very big.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2008   #17
creister
Tomatovillian™

I like Extreme Bush, Patio King, and Silvery Fir Tree. They are all dwarves. SFT is tart, but much better than the store. EB has high production, and great taste with smaller fruits. PK has great taste, production, and 5 oz or so fruit. I have also grown Heatwave II, Solar Set, and Solar Fire, alothough productive, doesn't quite have the taste.

Sioux is very compact indet. productive, great taste, and some heat tolerance.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2008   #18
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

Clear Pink Early
Bradley (semi-determinate)

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2008   #19
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Note that Lime Green Salad and New Big Dwarf are not Determinate but Dwarf or Tree type tomatoes - compact, with a thick central stem - they behave like a very short, stout indeterminate in that they bear all season, unlike true Determinates that tend to give up a large, central crop then fade away.

Taxi and Southern Night are two of the better Determinates I've grown.
Old April 20, 2008   #20
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

One nice thing about our cooler summer weather is determinates don't ripen all at once, and most give nice tomatoes into October.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote