Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 27, 2008   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default A few pics

from this morning before the rain.

cukes and squash

cherokee purple

Diva

New Big Dwarf

Green Giant

JD's Special C-Tex

Earl's Faux

duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008   #2
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Dangy Dangy, I only live 200 miles from you and your plants look great. I admit I get a handful of green beans everyday and only got about 7 red cherries maters so far. Did pull up my 400 onions and had 1 1/2" rain this morning. Your garden does look mighty fine.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008   #3
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

:'( Cleaned up our veggie garden today so it's ready for tilling but plant out won't be until June 1st. I won't be showing my little seedlings your pics...they might die of embarrassment.

Congrats Duajones!

Mirabel Osler
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Duane,

Your plants look fantastic! You're an old pro at this!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008   #5
3 Olives
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful! This may seem like a stupid question and waste of time for you, but I have 3 teenagers and only so many free minutes in a day. Where can I get some JD's Special C-Tex seeds?
3 Olives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

There is no commercial source for JD's Special C-Tex seeds. It is a variety developed by the late JD Whittaker in Conroe, TX (thus the C-Tex part of the name) to distinguish his tomato plants from others. His greenhouse used to supply plants of JD's Special C-Tex to nurseries all around Houston. I have not seen plants in several years except at Buchanan's Nurseries (who may be growing them themselves from seed). Several people saved seeds from these plants and grew them out in subsequent years.

Suze and I did seed offers here at Tomatoville last fall and the popularity (based largely on productivity and flavor reports) ensured that we don't have many seeds left! I'm growing 3 plants of it this year and Suze is growing 2 plants, so we should be able to restock our seed supplies and do another offer this summer. On 3 plants I've got 20 fruit so far.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old April 27, 2008   #7
3 Olives
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
There is no commercial source for JD's Special C-Tex seeds. It is a variety developed by the late JD Whittaker in Conroe, TX (thus the C-Tex part of the name) to distinguish his tomato plants from others. His greenhouse used to supply plants of JD's Special C-Tex to nurseries all around Houston. I have not seen plants in several years except at Buchanan's Nurseries (who may be growing them themselves from seed). Several people saved seeds from these plants and grew them out in subsequent years.

Suze and I did seed offers here at Tomatoville last fall and the popularity (based largely on productivity and flavor reports) ensured that we don't have many seeds left! I'm growing 3 plants of it this year and Suze is growing 2 plants, so we should be able to restock our seed supplies and do another offer this summer. On 3 plants I've got 20 fruit so far.
Sorry if my post was redundant. Thanks for the explanation. Best of luck to you!
3 Olives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Check back. I'll probably have seeds for the price of a stamp.

Old April 27, 2008   #9
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

Looking good and lush there!
Old April 28, 2008   #10
Lomatia
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Those plants look healthy!
Lomatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2008   #11
Leroy
Tomatovillian™

Looking good. I bet they look even better after the rain.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2008   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The JD's C Tex looks lighter than mine.

Mine look like they will be real dark when they ripen.

Nice garden.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote