Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 4, 2012   #46
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Aw Carolyn, you spoiled my fun. I have this huge pack of Omar's Zogola seed all packed up and ready to send to you. Guaranteed to produce the biggest reddest tastiest tomatoes you ever saw!

Seriously, I don't intentionally send out segregating lines without first verifying that the recipient wants them and when I do, I tend to give them a new designation to show that they are different from the original.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #47
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Pinks generally are my favorites, but one pretty good tasting red is Ethyl Watkins Best. It is on the small side but produces well.

My very favorite red is Prue. It's on my Always Plant list.

Another good red is Chapman.

Ramapo is a good red.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #48
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

The reds mentioned all taste pretty good, but my best red from last year was Aunt Lou's Underground Railroad. I have also enjoyed Old Brooks ... is that one a red?
Old January 5, 2012   #49
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I just read thru this thread from the beginning and am happy to see that the thread has come back to the original question.

Hastings, I can't really recommend any to you. I have to go find my socks that I lost 60 years ago.

But, if you want to lose yours, try African Queen, Krasnodar Titans, or Mr. Stripey (the beefsteak).

Now, I gotta go pick up some branches that have fallen from my F300,000 Hybrid Maple Trees and my F300,500 apple trees.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2012   #50
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
I just read thru this thread from the beginning and am happy to see that the thread has come back to the original question.

Hastings, I can't really recommend any to you. I have to go find my socks that I lost 60 years ago.

But, if you want to lose yours, try African Queen, Krasnodar Titans, or Mr. Stripey (the beefsteak).

Now, I gotta go pick up some branches that have fallen from my F300,000 Hybrid Maple Trees and my F300,500 apple trees.
Ted, I don't know where Krasnador Titans is now as opposed to where it once was, but my original seeds were from Marianne Belfer, the original seed source via her maid.

For me, red, yes, but very thick walls and practially no flavor at all.

Well, Mr. Stripey isn't red, ahem, and I could list lots of gold/red bicolors I prefer over that one.

Do you know where the Mr Stripey seeds came from, I do, and why you find plants for them at almost all of the big box stores? I do.
Old January 5, 2012   #51
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=ContainerTed;246956
Now, I gotta go pick up some branches that have fallen from my F300,000 Hybrid Maple Trees and my F300,500 apple trees.[/QUOTE]

Too short to post alone
Old January 5, 2012   #52
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Well, Mr. Stripey isn't red, ahem, and I could list lots of gold/red bicolors I prefer over that one.

Do you know where the Mr Stripey seeds came from, I do, and why you find plants for them at almost all of the big box stores? I do.
I've grown Mr. Stripey a couple times and while I agree it's not the most amazing-flavored tomato around, it stuck with me and I would recommend it.

That said.. Carolyn, do tell.. You've got my curiosity piqued.
Old January 5, 2012   #53
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

So- What's the story of Mr. Stripey? Or if you don't feel like re-telling it, is there a link where I can read it?

Jennifer
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2012   #54
dice
Tomatovillian™

Not a beefsteak, but it is a good tomato, and it might do especially
well for the original poster:
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Shannon%27s
Old January 5, 2012   #55
travis
Tomatovillian™

My understanding of the Mr. Stripey (bicolor) tomato origin is that Wayne Hilton, former owner of Totally Tomatoes, came across this tomato in Georgia (USA), and subsequently gave a sample to Seeds By Design in California.

There already existed a Mr. Stripey tomato that was a renaming of Tigerella (gs skin striped rather than bicolor interior flesh streaked), but the folks at Seeds By Design were not aware of the Tigerella/Mr. Stripey dual name.

Seeds By Design produces seeds for commercial bedding plant vendors, and when they sent out seeds for the bicolor tomato they got from Wayne Hilton, they sent it out as Mr. Stripey, and that is why you see Mr. Stripey sold at many big box stores that are serviced by Bonnie Plant Farms, for example.

Last edited by travis; January 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2012   #56
bcday
Tomatovillian™

For Jennifer and sirtanon:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19240
post #3
or
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17901
post #13 and #17
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2012   #57
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Ted, I don't know where Krasnador Titans is now as opposed to where it once was, but my original seeds were from Marianne Belfer, the original seed source via her maid.

For me, red, yes, but very thick walls and practially no flavor at all.

Krasnador Titans was "Amazing" grown here in Tennessee. Your seed produced the tomato that my brother and I chose for its taste to take with us to Hardees for our occasional breakfast. We gave away a few slices to other patrons, and everyone raved about it. One guy took his slice and carefully put the seeds on a napkin and stuck that in his shirt pocket.

Hey, picky, picky. Mr. Stripey has a little red/pink on it Anyhow, it is a taste that will "knock your socks off". I thought that made the list with respect to the original request.

My Mr. Stripeys came from plants I purchased at a nursery in Oak Ridge, TN. My current seed stash comes from saving them. Still, the taste is off my scale and that's what counts. Like my pappy said, even a dog with lots of mix in it can still be the best dog you'll ever have. But, I digress, tell us about Mr. Stripey's bloodlines.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2012   #58
carpenterlady
Tomatovillian™

No one has mentioned Neves Azorean Red. a red beefsteak. A favorite of mine and the people I give seedlings. Reifs Red Heart, a red oxheart, is ok, but I have replaced it with Kosovo, which is a pink oxheart. Mostly I grow early reds, Stupice, Glacier, Latah, etc, which are small. If I lived in a better tomato growing climate I would not grow as many early's and explore more.

I don't like Mr. Stripey. Last time I grew it was about four years ago, at the request of a friend that I have since converted. I have tried it three or four different years and it has never impressed me. Production has been poor, and I don't like the taste.
carpenterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2012   #59
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
My understanding of the Mr. Stripey (bicolor) tomato origin is that Wayne Hilton, former owner of Totally Tomatoes, came across this tomato in Georgia (USA), and subsequently gave a sample to Seeds By Design in California.

There already existed a Mr. Stripey tomato that was a renaming of Tigerella (gs skin striped rather than bicolor interior flesh streaked), but the folks at Seeds By Design were not aware of the Tigerella/Mr. Stripey dual name.

Seeds By Design produces seeds for commercial bedding plant vendors, and when they sent out seeds for the bicolor tomato they got from Wayne Hilton, they sent it out as Mr. Stripey, and that is why you see Mr. Stripey sold at many big box stores that are serviced by Bonnie Plant Farms, for example.
Travis beat me to it and I would have posted the same.

At the time Hilton was doing a lot of subcontracting for tomato seed from Seeds by Design so just sent the seeds to them, etc. SBD does contract growing as well as producing seeds for off the shelf buying and years ago I was asked to send them some seeds and it was an utter disaster. The man running it at the time had zero experience with OP varieties, but Patty B who was there from the beginning I think is still there. I never sent any more seeds to them.

And it was Adam Gleckler's father who went out there as a consultant, but there was so much wrong that he couldn't help that much. SBD also sends out a seed list all over the US and that's where the wrong name of Opalka got spread around, maybe it was Opalska or some such spelling and it also led to the lsiting for Purple Cherokee instead of Cherokee Purple so ASAP when I'd see the former I knew where the seeds are from.

It took many years before Dick Meiners at Pinetree finally got around to correcting the name of Opalka, that I remember all too well, after someone asked me to talk to him about it. And he HAD a copy of my book with the correct name all the time b'c Workman Press asked me where I wanted to send complimentary copies to and Pinetree was one on that list. Oh well.

And the result has been that for how many years now I've posted about the difference between Tigerella, also called Mr. Stripey from the get go, which was bred at the Glasshouse Research Inst in England and is a small red with jagged gold stripes, real ones, and for me splits with the AM dew and I don't like the taste at all.

Long sentence above which I didn't finish,.... so posts I've done telling the difference between Tigerella and the Hilton bicolor sent to SBD.

Out of that same cross done in England there were two others, Craigella and Tangella, and I really do like the last one.
Old January 5, 2012   #60
travis
Tomatovillian™

I've eaten a whole lot of fabulous red tomatoes, but none that knocked my socks off. I've eaten some so-called purple tomatoes that knocked both socks off at once.

Now that little Tangella tomato (grown from Totally Tomatoes seeds in 2007) didn't even knock one thread off the left big toe of my perfectly clean, white, brand new cotton sock. Sweet, bland and mushy. The same year I grew some Juane Flamme a few feet down the same row that were essentially the same size, shape, and color but far prettier inside and tasted awesome.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote