Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2016   #61
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Very exciting!
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #62
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Very cool, Ted. I'll be interested to read about your progress. Considering the aroma of this year's OP plants, will you go back to seeds from the previous generation if fruit this year are not as good as last year?
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #63
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd.. View Post
Very cool, Ted. I'll be interested to read about your progress. Considering the aroma of this year's OP plants, will you go back to seeds from the previous generation if fruit this year are not as good as last year?
A very good question. I have given this a lot of thought. The aroma is there, only not as strong as the F1. But, you can't eat aroma. If the taste and color are there, I think I might go ahead and release it to the public. After all, the taste is what it's all about.

I'm still thinking about what I should name it. There's all kinds of possibilities. It showed up as a volunteer here in my garden in the state of Tennessee which is the Volunteer State. It's even already the right color of orange. That kinda makes one think about some possibilities. Colonel Davy Crockett would be proud, don't you think.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #64
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Keep posting up dates. Any idea about long before you get to taste the first ripe tomato?

A possible name. Orange Sweetness?

Tennessee Sweetness?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #65
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
A very good question. I have given this a lot of thought. The aroma is there, only not as strong as the F1. But, you can't eat aroma. If the taste and color are there, I think I might go ahead and release it to the public. After all, the taste is what it's all about.
Very true, you can't eat aroma. I was just thinking that if aroma is strongly correlated with the flavor you are looking for, then.... Hopefully it's not the case and the flavor of this year's fruit is outstanding.

Quote:
I'm still thinking about what I should name it. There's all kinds of possibilities. It showed up as a volunteer here in my garden in the state of Tennessee which is the Volunteer State. It's even already the right color of orange. That kinda makes one think about some possibilities. Colonel Davy Crockett would be proud, don't you think.
I think naming it with a TN Vol spin would be brilliant! LOL!
Old May 30, 2016   #66
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd.. View Post
Very true, you can't eat aroma. I was just thinking that if aroma is strongly correlated with the flavor you are looking for, then.... Hopefully it's not the case and the flavor of this year's fruit is outstanding.
It's only the foliage that has less of the aroma. The fruit is just as fragrant.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old May 30, 2016   #67
M.SeanF.
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I'll be following your progress this season and keeping my fingers crossed for your success. Capturing the Sungold f1 taste in an OP is the Holy Grail of tomato breeding. If you succeed, might I suggest "Crockett's Sweet Select" as a potential name.

Best Of Luck!

Sean
M.SeanF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #68
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Sean, thank you for your suggestion. But, I feel the name should capture the East Tennessee experience. It must remind us of things like "Big Orange", "Volunteer", and things that have meaning to all Tennesseans. Knoxville is home for the University of Tennessee. It has a lot of "identifiers" like "Vols", "Big Orange", "Smokey" (The Mascot), and a host of other monikers.

Right now, I'm leaning toward "Big Orange Volunteer". Let's see now. Based on last year's production, it really is a "big" version of its parent. It is definitely "orange" when fully ripe, and is very close to the Tennessee shade of orange. And it comes from a "volunteer" plant. That's what I have concluded, but nothing is carved in stone as of now.

Of course, this is all dependent on the plants producing again this year. If anyone has other possibilities for the name, I'd like to hear them. If this thing pans out, I want the name to be the very best it can be.

Comments and suggestions are very welcome.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old May 30, 2016   #69
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

As another suggestion, Sweet Survivor with all the meaning that has.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #70
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Although SunGold seems to be difficult to duplicate as OP, it gives plenty of room to create interesting varieties.
One such example that I'd love to try one day is Gobstopper:
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Gobstopper

While it does not look like SunGold, it looks very pretty and unique. (Has anyone here tried to grow it?)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #71
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

How about Tennessee Volunteer
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #72
tnc070911
Tomatovillian™

Ted's Volunteer Sun....
tnc070911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #73
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

I vote Ted's Tennessee Orange!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2016   #74
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

You could name it Volunteer State.

-Zach
Old June 30, 2016   #75
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Big Tenn Vol (it rolls right off the tongue).

Ted, I've enjoyed reading about your discovery. Any updates on this year's progress?

Katie