Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 1, 2009   #1
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Default Sophie's Choice

Taken this morning.

TheClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2009   #2
organichris
Tomatovillian™

What kind of plants are these? They are quite prolific, yet compact.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2009   #3
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by organichris View Post
What kind of plants are these? They are quite prolific, yet compact.
Never mind, I'm stupid.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009   #4
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

When did you put them out in their containers?

I'm in New England, so way behind you. My avatar is (or should be - I just changed it) a picture of my first Sophie's (first tomato of all my varieties) taken two days ago. That plant was put into it's container May 18.
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2009   #5
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

I want to grow this variety!

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2009   #6
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow View Post
I want to grow this variety!
I got the seeds from Craig LeHoullier (nctomatoman). I'll be happy to share some of the seeds that I save from this year's harvest. Sophie's Choice is an early determinate.

Howard
Old June 16, 2009   #7
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Howard!

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2009   #8
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

The plants are struggling now, but I think we're pretty close to harvest.

Old June 24, 2009   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Since I introduced Sophie's Choice if you have any questions about it I'll be glad to answer them.

My original seeds were from Barry Comdon of Hollywood, CA who got them from a friend in CA who named the variety after I'd asked Barry to do so and he declined in her favor, and the variety is from Edmonton, Canada.

I sent seeds to Southern Exposure Seed Exchange many years ago and I think they still offer it. If you Google the variety I'm sure you'll find other places that also offer it.

I just remembered that Sandhill Presrvation also offers it, seeds from me, but no seeds are available for the 2009 season, so look for it in the 2010 catalog/website.
Old June 24, 2009   #10
cthomato
Tomatovillian™

Someone sent me seeds a few years ago and I'm finally growing it now in a 5-gallon pot. Like the previous photos, it is compact and prolific. It reminds me of Burbank, a determinate variety I used to grow. Hopefully it will taste much better.
Old July 16, 2009   #11
gwnorth
Tomatovillian™

Default Hi Carolyn...

Hi, Carolyn! Can you elaborate bit on the Edmonton Alberta origin of Sophie's Choice? I grow it and like it, and I like to share seeds and plants - it's fun to be able to tell people that it's a tomato from right here in Edmonton. I had never heard of it until I discovered tomato forums, and, ironically, I got my original seed from Grub in Australia! I would like to see more of it around here.

Last edited by gwnorth; July 16, 2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: to direct the question to Carolyn
gwnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2009   #12
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

My experience with Sophie's Choice is that there are some off-variety seed out there. Grub had the right one, so gwnorth, you should have the correct seed. I have 2 or 3 Sophie's that arent true.
Old July 16, 2009   #13
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

I have two paper plates full of Sophie's Choice seeds drying right now from plants grown from seeds I got from Craig LeHoullier. I have already promised some but am confident that I will have more to share than I can possibly use myself.

-Howard
Old July 16, 2009   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnorth View Post
Hi, Carolyn! Can you elaborate bit on the Edmonton Alberta origin of Sophie's Choice? I grow it and like it, and I like to share seeds and plants - it's fun to be able to tell people that it's a tomato from right here in Edmonton. I had never heard of it until I discovered tomato forums, and, ironically, I got my original seed from Grub in Australia! I would like to see more of it around here.
Larry, there's not really much more I can say.

The seeds were sent to me unnamed by Barry Comden of Hollywood CA who was a subscriber to Off the Vine, an international newsletter about heirlooms that Craig and I used to publish.

I asked Barry to name it. The seeds were given to him by a woman in CA who had gotten the seeds from someone in Edmonton, Canada.Barry asked the CA woman to name it and she named it Sophie's Choice.

That's all I can tell you. I sent it to Jeff McCormack when he still owned SESE and as far as I know it's still offered there. I didn't do a Google search to see who else might be offering it.

I first listed it in the 1997 SSE Yearbook and since quite a few seed co owners get their starts from the yearbook who knows where it might have ended up.

I like it b'c it was an early producer of large sized red fruits with very good taste for an early, and continued to produce fruits thru the summer in my zone 5 gardening area.
Old July 16, 2009   #15
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

Just wanted to add that though I love this variety and will probably grow it for years to come (the perfect container plant for me), the name is awful - if you've read the book and know what choice Sophie had to make, I couldn't think of a more awful name.

But, love the plant.
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote