Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 18, 2010   #1
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default Is this a cross?

I got a seed and grew a plant that was not preacher joe as labeled because it was a pink RL and a might good tomato.
Now I have saved seed from it and have 9 seedling growing. Two are PL and a third maybe. The rest are RL. Can I assume that the not preacher joe was a cross with a PL tomato? And not just a miss named variety?
KennyP
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2010   #2
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

From what I could find, Preacher Joe is a red tomato (assume it to be regular leaf). If you grew out a pink tomato (assuming it did come from Preacher Joe at some point) then it was at least an F2 so the parent plant (heterozygous Red Regular leaf) you got the seed from was a cross of Preacher Joe with a pink potatoleaf. Your plant was a segregated F2 with homozygous recesive Pink (clear epidermis), but was heterozygous for leaf type with the dominant regular leaf showing. What you are seeing now is the PL condition segregating out.

If you like what you have, grow them out and select for the best lines. It is are your tomato now.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2010   #3
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Thanks, that was what I wanted to know. Next question is will the pink or red follow the same way? Giving like 4 variations. Pink PL pink RL, red PL red RL. (not counting the other thousand things). Does the color have to be one or the other or can it be a shade in between. I am sure there is a name for this. Whch is dominate, pink or red?
Sure wish I had time left in my life to grow this thing out. KennyP
Old September 19, 2010   #4
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Pink will stay pink and PL will stay PL because they are both homozygous recessive. Red and RL are both dominant so they could be either homozygous or heterozygous, if hetero, then they can give rise to Pink and PL in the offspring.

The way to tell if the reds and RL are homozygous/stable is to grow out alot of seeds from a single plant and see if there are any off-type plants. The ratio should be 3:1, but could be off by quite a bit due to random chance at low numbers so you would want to grow 10-20 seeds and not just 4. That is easy to do for leaf type because you just need to grow the sprouts for a couple of weeks for the PL to show up. For fruit color you have to go all the way, but that can be done with stunted plants in pots or pruned plants tightly spaced in the garden.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2010   #5
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Thanks, I got it. I lucked out when 9 sprouts had 3 PL and 6 RL. right on the money.
Now to see if I can get plants up to fruit in my little GH this fall.
KennyP