Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old January 31, 2011   #1
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone grown Sakata's Sweet

I want to try one melon this year. The reason I am leaning toward this one is for three reasons. Sweet, crisp, and can be trellised.

I have been able to find a few comments about the Sakata's Sweet. Mostly that it was hard to tell when they were ripe. They are sweet and comments from some saying even better after cutting into them on the second day.

Has anyone trellised them and how did that work out?
husker nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2011   #2
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Hi husker,

I grew Sakata's Sweet in a large hanging basket last season, in my GH ...it was a last minute decision as I was just trying to fill up space. I had a few seeds left over in a pack, and thought why not ? The seeds are tiny, and if anything I would have a hanging basket w/vines hanging down.. If I was really lucky I would get a few small crisp melons to taste!
I had no luck trying to grow these outside on a trellis the last two seasons, the vines did not want to grow fast for me....so..I wasnt out anything..
The vines formed and as season progressed , I did indeed get about 6 small sized melons off the vine..The first two were about 2 1/2 inches in size and last few were only 1 1/2 inches..They were a soft green in color and I kept waiting for them to turn a soft golden color so I could eat them.. They stayed a soft green with part of the skins tuning a creamy yellow, before I finally picked them...They were good and crisp w/a sweet flavor...
I gave my friend a few seeds to try in her GH. and she put hers in a 10 gallon pot, and got a few nice size 3-4 inch melons that did turn a soft yellowish/golden color.. But it did take a long time for the skin to start turning color..We were both worried the melons would get soft and turn bad..But she really liked them too, and we are both growing again next season..Mine will be growing up a trellisin GH this year, and started a little earlier...I hope someone else chimes in w/experience growing SS on a trellis..

If I can find my pictuers (I think they are on sons hard drive) I will post soon..
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2011   #3
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

barefoot-
Thanks for your imput. I would love to see your pictures of the Sakata's Sweet. I really am looking forward to trying this one. Sweet and crisp sounds like a winning combination.

I plan on using a trellis. First time growing a melon. I want to start this earlier and since it is small I am hoping that they mature before season nears its end. If these are as sweet and crisp as I have read then I would like to try to save seed. I'm only planting one melon type but see that it could cross with some squash and cukes. I have been trying to find a thread here that describes how to harvest seeds and what you need to do with them before storage. The only seeds that I have saved were from last year and they are peppers. Not sure how they will work out.

Closest thing to a melon that I planted was Moon and Stars (Van Doren) three years ago. We got three. First one was good but other two didn't really get ripe so not nearly as good.

Looking forward to any pics that you may have of them.
Old February 2, 2011   #4
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Sakata'a Sweet Melon growing in hanging basket..in GH. 2010..You can see it is still the soft green color..This is towards the end of season..Stayed this color for a long time until part of skin turned a creamy yellow..I went ahead and picked.

This is the only pic I have on my computer..The rest are on my sons hard drive for now..Hope to get them back on soon..
Old February 2, 2011   #5
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the picture. I would never of thought that you could plant a melon in a hanging basket. How big of a basket was it and how many seeds did you have planted?

I will still try mine on a trellis as I'm not sure I would do good with hanging baskets or containers. We live in the country and up on a hill. We get a nice breeze here and I am afraid that they would dry out and die. I don't trust myself. We tried nasturiums and chamomile (german) in baskets and well we did our best but I think that they were tortured by our neglect. Once a day watering didn't cut it.
Old February 3, 2011   #6
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I liked it.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2011   #7
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Of the Asian melons, Sakata Sweet is one of the best. My personal tastes lean more toward cantaloupes (orange fleshed) than Asians.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2011   #8
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

husker..It was a large 20" hanging basket..I probably planted about 8 seeds in it..Ended up w/six vines..I think they will grow well and look pretty climbing up a trellis..I am going to try again this year, but grown some inside my GH..Good luck!

Tania, that is a lovely picture of SS..Did you have any trouble with them ripening up and turning the supposed golden color?
Old February 3, 2011   #9
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Tania and barefoot gardener for the pictures. If I wasn't convinced before I am now. They look so good. I think that the grandkids will love them.

When time comes I will have to figure out how many seeds per trellis. I think that I will have to plant quite a few as not sure that they will be heavy producer in Wisc. and catalogue says 85 to 85 days.