Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2006   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default Milka's Red Bulgarian is a slowpoke

This is my first year growing MRB and I don't know what to expect. Of the 12 different varieties of tomatoes that I am growing this year, MRB and - oddly - Prudens Purple are the only ones that do not have any fruits forming yet. Both have flowers. I know that this is NOT normal for Prudens (in my experience), but is tardiness to be expected from MRB?
Cecilia_MD7a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2006   #2
tanagerzoo
Tomatovillian™

I don't know what is typical, as this is my first year with MRB, but my MRB is one of the "monster" types--large, full, dense foliage. It is loaded with blossoms and has about 6 tomatoes on it so far. Compared to the other 29 varieties I'm growing, it is right in the middle of the pack in terms of fruit set. The only one for me that hasn't set fruit is Aunt Gertie's Gold. It just happens to be in the worst spot in the entire garden so it isn't a big surprise. But it has a whole bunch of open blossoms and I'm hoping for the best with them. :wink:

This morning, the first Tangella just started turn. Oh, the anticipation...