Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 30, 2006   #1
TheDens
Tomatovillian™

Default So THAT'S what all the fuss is about!

First tomato of the year (actually, first tomato ever from my own garden): Sungold

Just one. A few more on that truss should be ready in another few days. That one was enough to convince me that all the hype over Sungold is absolutely correct.

Denna
TheDens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2006   #2
landarc
Tomatovillian™

It is one tasty 'mater. And versatile too, makes a nice sauce too, when (if?) you get tired of plucking and eating

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2006   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I still have several quarts of the things left over from last year in the freezer.
They are a good tomater.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2006   #4
TheDens
Tomatovillian™

Oh, judging by the scads of green fruit weighing that plant down, I'll probably be sick of the things by the end of the season. I'm thinking freezing 'em and collecting them for sauce sounds like a great idea, I think they'll make a great one. For right now, though, I think that was the first tomato I've ever had that I could just eat by itself without putting on or in something else.
Now I have to hold my breath and hope Cherokee Purple, ARGG, and (maybe hopefully please?) Brandywine Sudduth can live up to it.

Denna
TheDens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2006   #5
Reign
Tomatovillian™

Dry some too. They're a great snack. This is my first year growing Sungold. A friend use to bring me zip locks of dried Sungolds. I don't think I've every eaten a Sungold that wasn't dried. I miss the dried ones enough that I added a plant to the garden.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2006   #6
BrokenAppleTree
CHOPTAG™

Had my first 1 and a half today too (my 2.5 year old didn't like his first bite and I couldn't let it go to waste). Very good, but my plant had its stem broken right after it was planted out and has been very slow growing ever since. I hope it picks up and start pumping 'em out!

Best Regards,
Brian
BrokenAppleTree is offline   Reply With Quote