Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 18, 2012   #1
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Success

In the last month I have started seeds in 48 Jiffy 7's. 46 germinated successfully. My method is I put 3 seeds per Jiffy 7, put 12 Jiffy 7's per tray. keep the plastic dome on until 10 have sprouted and keep them under the grow lights. The two that failed were a "Pervaya Lyubov" and a Kimberly. The Pervaya pellet only had one seed. And the Kimberly seeds have been notoriously hard to germinate for me (they are my own seed from 2003). I tried some more of the Kimberly using the paper towel in a baggie method and got germination in 7 days so I was able to start 2 pellets with it.

I have potted up the first tray and they are under the lights and will go out side in the mini greenhouse soon. I hope to set them in their containers around Feb 15.

I have been using these methods for 14 seasons now. Hope this season is a great one. In the 14 years I have been at this location I have had 2 great, 3 excellent and 3 poor seasons. Its been a few years since I have had a great one so I am hopeful.

MikeInCypress
Old January 19, 2012   #2
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Mike, I had such a bad year with my tomatoes year before last I decided to give my garden soil a rest for a year......good thing with the horrendous temps we had last summer with most days being over 100 degrees.......
I couldnt keep my oak trees watered enough so Im sure a tomato crop would have been a disaster!
I have 4 flats of 50 plants under lights right now and starting to transplant to bigger pots. I hope to get some of them in the ground by March 1st hoping the freeze time will be over.
Good luck to you and hope you do well this year!

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote