Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 19, 2012   #1
RichardB.
Tomatovillian™

Default How Many Seeds Do I Plant?

I have never planted a tomato plant from seeds, this year I will try. Question if I just want one plant how many seeds should I plant?
RichardB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2012   #2
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

If the seeds are fresh, planting one seed is enough for one plant. I usually raise 3 plants for each one I want in my garden, between cutworms, late frost, disease, and my own clumsiness at times, I am still assured with one living in the end. I give my excess away.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2012   #3
RichardB.
Tomatovillian™

I want to plant a Paul Robeson tomato plant, I have 3 seeds, and I am new at this, just taking precautions, lacking confidence I suppose,,,,
Old January 19, 2012   #4
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

richard,

if you haven't yet, read the sticky on the starting from seed on this forum that craig posted. it will answer most any question you have about seed starting, and what to do once you have a plant. i sent the sticky to my sister in law last year who was starting seeds for the first time, and she said it was just what she needed. everything was there.
i would always start more than one seed of a variety, unless one seed is all i have. start all 3 seeds, one for the garden, one for back up, and one to give away if desired.
good luck. once you start, you'll be hooked.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2012   #5
RichardB.
Tomatovillian™

I read it, should help. He says to water the soil medium until it starts comming out the bottom, must mean its ok to throughly water, then seed and lightly cover with more soil. Thanks
Old January 19, 2012   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

It really depends on the condition of those three seeds, Richard. I'd plant them all if I were you. I've planted 4 seeds or more of some varieties before and had none germinate. That's only happened with seeds I've received through trades, though- purchased seeds have always had very good germination percentage rates in my experience.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #7
luke
Tomatovillian™

I planted from seed for the first time last year, using freshly ordered seeds. Every single seed in put in the medium started. It killed me to thin them out.

However, Paul Robeson is a nice tomato. Use all three, and while you're at it order a few more to have some extras. I added to my seeds with an order from Wild Boar Farms and my seed arrived in less than a week. Cost me about $7 for 50 seeds.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote