Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 10, 2012   #1
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Default Some wild ones!

top to bottom, left to right thunder row, thunder rose, thunder cloud, rose finn apple, thunderation, thumper, 473276, jacobson's golden red bud, laverton, 225677, phuroro, wild times,poor dog, pokkipsie, and ozzette.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #2
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

I love how even the normal looking ones are still pretty weird looking. That one in the top right corner is amazing. Would hate to have to dice it.

Hoping Iget a chance to order some new TPS off newworldcrops before everybody else buys them.
Old March 11, 2012   #3
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Cornbreadlouie, these are some of the actual parents of those TPS. Tom gave me the priviledge to grow and breed for him last year. It was alot of fun and I hope to produce alot more TPS for Tom as well as growing out alot of his varieties in bulk this year. He should have plenty for sampler boxes.
Old March 15, 2012   #4
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

good stuff. I saw your other pictures at tatermater forum, lot's of varieties!
Old March 15, 2012   #5
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

T om want's to bring down more for another year of breeding! I MUST get my lab up and running to keep them all.

Last edited by Tom Wagner; March 24, 2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 24, 2012   #6
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

They look so neat,so are these first season tubers from TPS Doug??

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2012   #7
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

The tubers I supplied Wingnut of the so-called "Wild" tubers were from seedling tubers, therefore, the tubers shown are 2nd generation tubers.

To be more exact...potato tubers grown from TPS are 1st year tuber generations, and potatoes planted from first year seedling tubers and harvested are called either second generation seedling tubers and/or first year tuber generation. It is splitting hairs to define the tuber generations thusly, for the preparation of precise usage of language regarding TPS, I propose the following:

TPS...true potato seed grown as seedlings are FIRST YEAR SEEDLINGS

FIRST YEAR SEEDLINGS produce FIRST YEAR SEEDLING TUBERS

Planting FIRST YEAR SEEDLING TUBERS produces 2nd YEAR SEEDLING VINES

and the tubers produced are 2nd YEAR SEEDLING TUBERS

2nd YEAR SEEDLING TUBERS are planted to produce 3rd YEAR SEEDLING VINES

ETC.

Just about all of the potato breeders use TPS to produce tiny first year seedling tubers in the greenhouse and those tubers are tiny...pea size up to almost golf ball size. A single tuber per plant are bulked in a family number bag and those are planted a few months later in the field. The selection work later that year eliminates the majority of the 2nd YEAR TUBER GENERATIONS.
Selected hills are sacked up separately and are used to make multiple hills the following year....and often in the past a single tuber would be selected and cut into four pieces to eliminate the possibility of clonal admixture. Those four hills ....sometimes more...are dug, evaluated for uniformity and agronomics and saved for larger increases the next year.

Very few plant breeders transplant the thousands of seedling TPS plants directly to the field. The idea that yield data is best observed from tuber planting is fairly entrenched. I, however, feel that there is a value from selecting from direct seedling transplants and multiple genetic generations have proven that value to me. Besides, I save a year in developing new clones and by the time the other professional breeders get to the four hill increase year...I may have conversely, about 4,000 hills.

Quote:
University Breeders
First year - one tuber
Second year - one hill
Third year - four hills
Fourth year 48 hills
Quote:
Tater Mater Research
First year seedling hill 25 tubers
Second year seedling 100 hills
Third year seedling gen/ 4,000 hills
Fourth year generation... one acre
To make hay while the sun shines...each year I am performing hybrids or collecting OP seed from the berries...and the University breeders may wait until five to 10 years have passed before making crosses with a new clone!
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote