Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old October 25, 2006   #1
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Default Diseases controll

I had a minor wilt problem this year. And rather than resort to nerve gas/very nasty chemical to remove the fungus I would like to know how practical this idea sounds.
I am considering in the spring pouring boiling water .5gallon/sq ft; twice in an hour period. Likely killing nearly every living thing in the dirt. Allowing it to cool for an hour watering well and thin adding some benifical bateria waiting a day or two and plant the seedlings.
I say considering because that a lot of hot water (75 gallon for each of five beds) and I can forsee it would be easy to get burned! I would like to know if the experts would consider it worth while?
celticman
celticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2006   #2
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

It takes a lot of BTUs to heat up dirt. I would get a cooking thermometer and measure the temperature after you pour the hot water and see if you can get the temperature high enough.

There are recommendations of using plastic to cover the soil and let the sun heat up and sanitize the soil. Do a Google search .

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2006   #3
celticman
Tomatovillian™

I calculated the amount of water based on an old turn to the 20th century report. They use to use steam as will but that is not practical. I wish I had bookmarked it so I could post a link and I can't find the thing again. (I should have included I was planning to may sure the dirt got to 170 or so.) I gather you think it would work but that I need more water. I have use solarization in the past and it works but I have to delay planting until July to get the ground hot enough to do any good. Fine for mid to late season toms but I would prefer to be eating some by then or at least counting the days to eating them.
I am more curious if their is reason to think it will work and any thing else I might have overlooked.
celticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2006   #4
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

"US Town Uses Hot Water -- Not Herbicides -- To Control Weeds"

Fwd: Efficacy of hot water on weeds

Plant Disease Series Index - Home, Yard, and Garden 3000

Scroll down & click on "Hot Water and Chlorine Treatment of Vegetable Seeds to Eradicate Bacterial Plant Pathogens, HYG-3085-05 (pdf)"

Google seasrches: hot water & weeds

hot water & plant disease