Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 9, 2014   #1
gturmindright
Tomatovillian™

Default King of north seedlings

They are partly purple and one of them has the cotyledons in a vertical position. Too much light? I can post a pic later if needed. These were started in miracle grow mix bc it was all I had at the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
gturmindright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2014   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I grow King of the North from seed. My stems when the seeds first emerge are always purple but eventually they change to green. The leaves often will point up for the first day or two and then flatten like normal. How long have they been upright? I'm guessing nothing to worry about.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2014   #3
gturmindright
Tomatovillian™

The sprouted a while back its first set of leaves are forming. They got that way recently. The leaves are purple not just the stems.

Old April 9, 2014   #4
gturmindright
Tomatovillian™

Old April 9, 2014   #5
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm....what is the medium they are planted in? When did they emerge? What temperature do you have them at? Any fertilizer to this point? And how often do you water?

Last edited by jmsieglaff; April 9, 2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old April 9, 2014   #6
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Keep forgetting questions.....how far are your lights (assuming you're using lights) above the leaves?
Old April 9, 2014   #7
gturmindright
Tomatovillian™

They are in miracle grow potting mix. They popped through the soil about 7-9 days ago. They are in a tropical terrarium so they are about 80 degrees during the day and about 70 at night. I gave them a very diluted 3-12-6 *dyna-gro* when they emerged. They have a fan on 24 hours a day and those four plants have about 1200 lumens of led light placed about 3-4 inches above them. The LED is 72 diodes 1/3 of them 35k and 2/3 65k.

Last edited by gturmindright; April 9, 2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old April 9, 2014   #8
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

My best guess based on the information you've provided is 1) cool soil is not a problem 2) no P shortage.

My best guess is the purple would go away if you moved the lights a couple more inches away from the plants.........I think they may be getting too much light.

The only other thought would be if you're not turning the lights off for a portion of the day--do so @ night.

In the grand scheme of things, your plants otherwise look healthy and the purple leaves will be out grown most likely. Also make sure the soil dries before watering.
Old April 9, 2014   #9
gturmindright
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the help, it's my first year growing from seed.
Old April 10, 2014   #10
drew51
Tomatovillian™

The purple in the leaves are a sign of stress. I never seen that so early though. It looks way too wet to me. Let them dry more before you water.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014   #11
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Unusual to have purple coytledons. I agree that the growing media is too wet. You want your media to be damp and don't water again until it is dry. Too much moisture is a recipe for disease.

I would also consider lower temps if you have that in your control. 10 degrees cooler on both ends would be preferable. (Warm is great for sprouting, but, plants will grow thicker stalks in cooler temps)

The potting mix sure does have a lot of chunky material in it. Looking on line, Miracle grow says their potting mix is NOT a sterile media, and that is definitely what you want for seedlings. Otherwise, your media can contain disease. (some commentors on line suspect that is the case) I believe that MGPM already contains fertilizer as well. If that is the case, I would not add any additional fertilizer. I don't use fertilizers on seedlings that are just starting like yours.

Sorry that none of those comments are definitive, but, I think your seedlings are under stress and any of those items I mentioned and any combination of those items are a suspect.

Given how early you are in the process, it might be worth starting some more seeds in a different mix (Sunshine makes a sterile seed starting mix, as do several other companies that should be locally available for you) and do not add any fertilizer until your plants are a little older and even then, diluted amounts are preferable. I'm not saying to give up on these, they may recover fully. But, a back up set started now could save your bacon if these don't do well over the next couple of weeks. Good luck.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #12
gturmindright
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think theyre ready to come out of the terrarium. Well see how the real leaves turn out.

Old April 23, 2014   #13
muskymojo
Tomatovillian™

Purple cotyledons are very normal when growing peppers under lights. It's like a sun tan (not burn), and NOT a bad thing at all. Some varieties purple more than others.
muskymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2014   #14
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskymojo View Post
Purple cotyledons are very normal when growing peppers under lights. It's like a sun tan (not burn), and NOT a bad thing at all. Some varieties purple more than others.

I would disagree completely in this case. Sure some peppers are purple, but that distant coloring is certainly a sign of stress.

Anyway how do the peppers look now?

Last edited by drew51; April 23, 2014 at 01:14 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2014   #15
muskymojo
Tomatovillian™

The purple in the leaves is called anthocyanin pigment. It is the plant's response to intense light, and yes, it is normal and nothing to worry about in this case. It happens to true leaves as well, not just cotyledons.

You do have to be careful to not overwater them though. Yellowing of true leaves is a sign of overwatering.

Good luck.
muskymojo is offline   Reply With Quote