Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 9, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Fruit Basket

Nope, not the kind of basket you send someone as a gift loaded with fresh fruits, but the pepper Fruit Basket.

While, playing in my pepper seeds, I discovered I have a few seeds of this pepper and plan on sowing it here today.

I googled it, and found on the Reimer site a picture of this pepper in a hanging basket. I wondered if anybody has grown it before and if the foliage is really that dark of leaves?

I wonder also if this pepper spreads like that naturally or does it take a bunch of pinching to create the hanging basket effect?

Also, I know there are plenty of peppers that can be grown for small containers, but are there any others that can be grown in a hanging basket that spread out like in the pic at Reimers?

Gotta love the different and unusual.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I grew those more years ago than I care to admit to, and I'm trying to remember. I did grow them in hanging baskets, and they did fine. They did not need to be pinched back, and I'm pretty sure I stopped growing them because the flavor was kinda meh.

It's been a loooong time, though, and my growing methods have changed, so i would be very interested in hearing what you think of it.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing the information Blueaussi. Do you happen to remember what size of hanging basket you used and do I need to put more than one plant in each basket?

Oh, I know that "meh." I grew a bunch of peppers last year of sweets and while some of them had neat sounding names, and unusual shapes, the taste was not what my taste buds were expecting.

The one sweet I grew that was so beautiful to look at and I actually enjoyed eating was Putzagold.
Old February 9, 2015   #4
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

They used to sell these green bowl shaped hanging baskets at most of the big box stores. I really don't know the exact size, sorry.

I'm not familiar with Putzagold, is it a bell? My go to sweet pepper for production and flavor is Jimmy Nardello, although I like Corno Di Toro a lot, too.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

That's ok. I guess to be on the safe side I'll plant it in a 12" basket. Hopefully that will be big enough to keep it happy all season.

Opps! I guess it would help if I spelled it right. Forgot the s. It should be Pustzagold.

The pic in the link was the first pepper out , so it was kind of small and I am terrible with a camera. I thought I might have taken a pic when the plant was loaded with the peppers, but I guess it must not have turned out and I deleted it.

http://cubits.org/salsagarden/db/pep...se/view/86254/

It makes a bell shaped pepper, but the bell kinda reminds me of the shape of a Roma tomato at the bottom. The pepper starts out yellow and then starts turning this light tangerine orange color. They're very pretty to look at.