Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 3, 2015   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Random thoughts post-book release - and my upcoming stops

Since the day that the first copy of my book arrived on the front steps - December 4 - it's been a fascinating, sometimes stressful, largely enjoyable, often exciting - but surprising, and surprisingly busy, time. On Christmas, my wife bought me a journal - and since that day, I've jotted things down - kind of a diary of the whole book writing, photographing, editing, and now promoting, experience. I thought that, being two months in and about to head off on another busy trip, it would be a time to share a few impressions.

Before I get to some thoughts, I am going to be speaking in Richmond (March 5), Philadelphia (March 7), Boyce (VA) (March 8), and Baltimore (March 9) in upcoming days - I've already run into Tomatovillians here and there, and hope to continue to do so. My schedule is always updated, and found at nctomatoman.com (scroll down to my events).

The parts of the adventure that I've enjoyed: Writing the book, planning the photography, working with my editor, photographers, art director and publicist, getting help from my daughter on social networking, preparing for and carrying out the events, meeting so many wonderful gardeners - the events on the Seattle trip were just wonderful throughout - the humbling experience of people's reactions to the book, doing various podcasts and radio spots.

The parts that have been more challenging: Editing the book, living through all of the tightly scheduled photography - which meant having to ship tomatoes to the publisher and canvass local friends and growers for varieties, working through more edits, and editing some more (get the theme here?), long travel to the more distant events, going through the emotional roller coaster of being prepared for the event, the high of the event, then coming down the other side, completely shattered - and, more recently, dealing with the complex expense reporting that comes from the trips, and now the taxes. And, of course, having to cut some things out (the Dwarf project seed distribution for this season) and reduce other things (the size of my garden, and numbers of seedlings and varieties I start and projects that I will undertake)..and, oh yes, the social networking part of it all - twitter, facebook, blogs, instagram - I am so thankful for my daughter's help - self promotion is nothing I enjoy, and the social networking tools all seem to egotistical to me. I am doing just what I am being advised to do and no more. Oh - one more thing that is challenging is the various conversations and compromises on speaking fees. Talking money is never easy, and never gets easy. Like Sue with her quilts, I have to realize that this is my career now, and my wish to always give stuff away has to be tempered with the reality of needing money so we can exist.

But - if I was to rate the experience on a 100 point scale, it has been a 98 or better. It is often baffling, often overwhelming, supremely humbling, an opportunity to express great gratitude to those who purchase the book or attend events. It has reenergized me (as if I need reenergization!), made me realize that the various little flame wars and drama that pops up here and there on various discussion sites is so, so minor, isolated and apart from the general public. I am at a place in my life where I seek to avoid drama at all costs - try to have fun, try to share what I know, and learn from others, and just enjoy life....and I get to do travelling with my best friend - my wife of nearly 35 years.

Thanks to all of you for playing whatever parts you play in what is a most fascinating journey for me - one that I could not have predicted, but one that I will cherish forever.
Old March 3, 2015   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

oops double post

Last edited by Sun City Linda; March 3, 2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: double post
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Book on Straw Bale gardening (a little thing - Storey Basics series) will be out in December! Written, edited once, drawings in progress.

What I am most curious about is what book 3 will be!
Old March 3, 2015   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

You write well Craig, maybe you should write a(nother) book!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #5
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Craig - can you remind us all of the title and where to buy your book?

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Sure - Epic Tomatoes - my daughter set up a separate website - epictomatoes.com - available at all etailers and many local bookstores.
Old March 3, 2015   #7
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Are you doing a workshop in Richmond?
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yes - I will be at Camdens Dogtown Market for a tomato talk and dinner on the evening of March 5 - I believe it is a reservation event.
Old March 3, 2015   #9
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Ok...unfortunately I live too far away to go at night...how about Charlottesville on the 20th?
Old March 3, 2015   #10
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yes, I am at The Happy Cook for the Festival of the Book - in the morning, I believe.
Old March 3, 2015   #11
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Ok..will check it out on their site...thanks
Old March 3, 2015   #12
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Also available at our local libraries. Very enjoyable and as it was said well written.
Old March 5, 2015   #13
tivia
Tomatovillian™

I hope that this weather doesn't hamper your trip to the Philadelphia Flower Show! I'm sure there will be many people wanting to hear what you say and taste a little bit of Spring.

Marie
tivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #14
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Hi Craig. Maybe I'm being presumtuous, but book number three: a history of the dwarf project, and characteristics of the varieties?

Just love Epic Tomatoes. Great inspiration!

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #15
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Placed an order for it on Amazon last night, (where by the way your reviews are great!). Thanks for posting here and letting us know it was available!

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote