Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 16, 2015   #1
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Gardening in Phx/SW Region

Hey guys- I just wanted to get a thread going for those around Phoenix, Arizona/those in the southwest region. Our climate is pretty unique and it has been a warm Spring thus far. I thought it would be neat for chat and future swapping too... Lets do this... Here are some questions:

1. Where are you located?
2. What all do you grow?
3. What is your favorite tomato?

I will start!!!

1. North Phx, AZ
2. I grow as much as I can fit into my garden. 40 something varieties of heirloom (all but 1) tomatoes, hot/sweet peppers, herbs, watermelon, many types of squash, cucumbers, did I get it all?? Lol!!!
3. My favorite... That's a tough one but I will say my best producer is ALWAYS Cherokee Purple.

Nice to meet you all!!!
Old April 18, 2015   #2
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

I thought I saw some folks from around AZ?? Maybe not!!
Old April 19, 2015   #3
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

there are a few from AZ. Similar experiences from the Texans here. Similar hot weather though the natives might disagree.
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2015   #4
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

I should rename the thread SW then. Is TX considered SW though? Hmmm I think so??
Old April 19, 2015   #5
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Well, I'm in Albuquerque. That's close enough to be a Phoenix sports fan, but not so close as to have the same growing conditions, because I'm also a Denver Fan., and a Dallas fan , but no similar growing conditions with any. I'm as high as Denver (altitude-wise...not pot-wise), but dry like Phoenix, but not as hot, but plenty hot. I grow hundreds of heirloom variety tomatoes for market, and a bunch of peppers for my own consumption and giveaways. I grow peaches, apples and cherries mostly for my own use. I grow garlic, onion and chives and a couple of herbs for fun as well as some flowers. I sweat and ache (I'm 65) and keep going because it is what keeps me alive. I'm growing watermelon this year too because I love watermelon (thanks Saltmarsh). I honestly don't know how anything grows in southern/mid-Arizona but cacti (I love cacti too by the way...plus all succulents). I have been to Phoenix 3 times. the first time I burned my hand on my car door trying to escape the 118 degree heat in the parking lot. The second time I burned my hand on my car door trying to escape the 120 degree heat. I lived in Las Vegas, NV and it was hot as he...double L. I visited Phoenix and appreciated cool Las Vegas. The third time I visited Phoenix I froze my butt off at a Thanksgiving soccer tournament when it snowed the only time in history. Go figure. The same thing happened to me when I went to Austin, TX to play a rugby tournament 39 years ago. The only snow they'd had in decades. Oh well. I love growing amazing tomatoes, and I'd be interested in a SW thread. Thanks.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2015   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I moved from Mesa last summer. I am amazed how much better my tomatoes look here. I think the water from our pond, higher humidity are doing them good.
I did grow a lot of hot weather and also cool season crops in AZ with good results. Peppers,eggplants, and all sorts of greens/ herbs, especially chard. I just hated dealing with the heat and alkaline soil/water.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #7
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Hi Tracydr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I moved from Mesa last summer. I am amazed how much better my tomatoes look here. I think the water from our pond, higher humidity are doing them good.
I did grow a lot of hot weather and also cool season crops in AZ with good results. Peppers,eggplants, and all sorts of greens/ herbs, especially chard. I just hated dealing with the heat and alkaline soil/water.

Tracydr!
I thought we chatted in the past and realized it was you! I was thinking you lived in Mesa, as we chatted in the past about swapping seed and plants but it appears you are no longer here Our climate is very unique as you know... The Spring here is perfect for growing maters, in fact this year we were in the 80's in Feb so the garden was started super early. Do you still grow some of the same varieties that did well here? I remember you mentioned Gary O'Senna (I think) or it could have been another purple/black?

SalsaCharlye-
I love NM! They have such great people and great food My husbands family has a bunch of land in/around Anton Chico near the river. Good growing land!
Welcome to the group! I think your Summer is similar to my Spring? Temp wise... I see you grow 100's of heirlooms for market? That's awesome. That's my dream... to be a tomato farmer. One day I do recall a lady there " The Tomato Lady"? I think I'm seen her at a market in Santa Fe?

OzoneNY-
Are you living in TX or NY? Either way- welcome!!! Love TX... Your weather is very similar to our monsoon weather. We get crazy hot and humid in the summers, once the monsoons from Mexico start to kick up. Welcome!!
Old April 20, 2015   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I didn't buy many new seeds in the past few years. I never got tomatoes from some of them so they are all in the garden this year, along with our many favorites.
I moved last summer. It is so much easier to grow tomatoes here! At least, so far.
The thing with AZ is to follow the county calendars for planting religiously. Such tiny windows for most plants.
I had no luck with regular green beans. Too hot,dry or pH way too high.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2015   #9
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Tracydr- Your right! However I went a month and a half early this year, due to how warm we were, and luckily, my leap of faith was perfect. My plants are bigger this year, compared to many previous April's. I have a friend that grows beans here really well, so I figured if she could do it, so could I Royal Purple and Blue Lake green beans are both sown.

I'm hoping to find more people here from the SW so hopefully everyone chimes in
Old April 21, 2015   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Texas sometimes is and sometimes isn't considered the south west.
One of the reasons is it is so big compared to the rest of the states.
Our weather is not only determined by what area we live in but elevation.

When you get on the north and west side of the Balcones fault/escarpment climate and vegetation changes.

I live at the very top side of what they call the gulf coastal plain and at the very southern edge of what is called the Texas hill country.
I live about 30 miles from the escarpment.

My weather from year to year oscillates between semi desert to a more wetter climate, as the American desert swells and shrinks and moves from east to west.
Many people that move here dont understand it and say it is climate change and crazy weather.
They simply dont understand that they are living on the edge of a naturally oscillating desert.
I try to tell them this and they look at me like I'm crazy.
We are also greatly effected by El Nino and La Nina.

So when planting out I try to look at these natural oscillations and predict when and predict when and what to plant out.

I start looking at this sometimes a year in advance.
This spring has been fantastic here, it will warm up and another cool front will come through.
Just the other day we had rain coming from the south west and then the next we had rain coming from the north west with a northerly breeze.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2015   #11
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

I live in Las Vegas. I grow okra, sunflowers, melons, cukes, zuchinni, tomatoes and try to grow beans but either the bunnies eat em or they die.

I grew some celebrity tomatoes last year and they did ok. This year I'm growing paul robeson, queen of hearts and a heat loving plant called hawaiin tropic or hawaiin. We'll see how that goes. Luckily the Temps have been good and all my plants have little baby tomatoes already.

Edit: forgot I grow bell peppers and several hot peppers. Also have some chard and herbs....and one eggplant.
MarcH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2015   #12
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Nice to meet you MarcH! Vegas is similar to Phx... Paul Robeson is in my garden too. It's a yummy one... The temps have been great here too... Though we are on the brink of the 90's. The peppers have done great here this spring! Both bells and hot peppers, though my hot peppers haven't turned hot yet...
Old April 21, 2015   #13
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Worth! I thought you were in Texas... I have family between San Antonio and Austin in hill country (lol- or is that just what they call it?!). Such a pretty area though! I bet you have great tomato growing weather out there?!! Nice to chat with you... Curious what your grow list looks like? Hoping everyone posts their grow lists... For some crazy reason, I like seeing them. I like to hear what does well for us sw folks and a lot of times I hear about new to me varieties...
Old April 21, 2015   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGardener View Post
Worth! I thought you were in Texas... I have family between San Antonio and Austin in hill country (lol- or is that just what they call it?!). Such a pretty area though! I bet you have great tomato growing weather out there?!! Nice to chat with you... Curious what your grow list looks like? Hoping everyone posts their grow lists... For some crazy reason, I like seeing them. I like to hear what does well for us sw folks and a lot of times I hear about new to me varieties...

I dont have much of a grow list.
Yes I live in Texas.
The Czechs and Germans settled this part of the state because it reminded them of home.
A friend Of mine from Kenya liked it a little west of here because it reminded him of home.

My list is.
Tomatoes.
Sungold
Black prince.
Solar Fire.
San Marzano.
Lemon Boy.

Peppers.
Jalapeno.
Gypsy.
Tabasco.
Cayenne.
Habanaro.
Pablano.
Sweet Banana.
Two Texas native wild peppers I have had for years.
And some volunteer Peppers that I will know what they are when the fruit.
They are either Chili Arbole or guajillo.
I think they sre the latter.
Marketmore 76 cucumbers if the slugs dont eat them.
Pinto Bean from the cooking bag.
Grey squash.
Some straggled Swiss Chard the bugs keep eating.
And a variety of gourds.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2015   #15
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Nice grow list Worth! Never thought of planting pinto beans from seed?

Tags
arizona , desert , southwest