Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 18, 2015   #1
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Default What Time of Day to Plant?

I am curious what time of day is the best time to plant Tomato Plants? Mine will be here some time next week. I also want to know if putting them under a Pole barn for a few days will harden them off OK? Thanks in advance, Beale.
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #2
oppelousas1234
Tomatovillian™

Here in East Texas, I do put mine under some kind of partial shade cover for a couple of days. Then, I plant them in the evening and water them. I use Rabbit droppings in the hole when I plant them. Have a great weekend.

oppelousas1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #3
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I plant my at evening (5-6 PM), and if the prediction of the weather for the next couple of days is overcast.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #4
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

I have planted in both early mornings and cloudy afternoons. Both have given me great results... As long as the full sun isn't a hot sun, it should be fine.
Old April 18, 2015   #5
beefsteak
Tomatovillian™

I plant when I have the opportunity, time of day never made a difference.
beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Why do they need to be hardened off?
Are you getting plants that have been inside all of this time?

And plant when you have time even if they flop over they will soon get over it.

I might get transplant shock 1 out of a hundred plants.
It is something I dont worry about.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Unless it is rainy or very cloudy I always try to set them in the ground just before sundown. I try not to water them until I see them starting to wilt to encourage root growth. I only allow this lack of water when the plants are young. Once tomatoes start blooming too little water can cause blossom drop.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

IMO, you cannot take the plants out from under the light and plant them out cold turkey.
They need to adjust to then new environment gradually : it is called HARDENING OFF.
Once you have done that, it does not matter what time of the day you put them in the ground.

Hardening off can mean different things in different climates. In South Texas it might be the Sun ; In our cool PNW it is introducing to cool night temps more than the Sun.

ONE MORE THING: Smaller seedlings tend to adjust quicker than overgrown ones.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #9
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
IMO, you cannot take the plants out from under the light and plant them out cold turkey.
They need to adjust to then new environment gradually : it is called HARDENING OFF.
Once you have done that, it does not matter what time of the day you put them in the ground.

Hardening off can mean different things in different climates. In South Texas it might be the Sun ; In our cool PNW it is introducing to cool night temps more than the Sun.

ONE MORE THING: Smaller seedlings tend to adjust quicker than overgrown ones.

Gardeneer
I grow my seedlings under the light on the second floor. After day of work I would not be bringing 50 seedlings down and outside and then up. Aaa... no, my seedlings do not get hardened. I can keep temps around 60 at night, but no sun exposure. That is why I plant them so the next couple of day has to be overcast.
I would love to harden them, but... to much fot me.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #10
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

These are Plants I ordered Coming to me. I was just wondering. Not seedlings I started. I just wanted to make sure. I have no Idea where they have been? I am guessing they will travel by truck. So for the Time period they are inside the truck they will be "inside". Does that count "Worth" "Kinda caustic there man?"

The longer I stay on here it seems my questions tend to bring out some strange replies. I apologize for my ignorance, Beale.

Last edited by EBCIII; April 18, 2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old April 18, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBCIII View Post
These are Plants I ordered Coming to me. I was just wondering. Not seedlings I started. I just wanted to make sure. I have no Idea where they have been? I am guessing they will travel by truck. So for the Time period they are inside the truck they will be "inside". Does that count "Worth" "Kinda caustic there man?"

The longer I stay on here it seems my questions tend to bring out some strange replies. I apologize for my ignorance, Beale.
I will try to reply to this as polite and concise as I can.

Many of your posts such as this one asking about whether or not you should harden plants off that you purchased lack enough information to give a good answer.
So to give a good answer I asked why you thought you needed to harden them off.
Anyone sending/selling plants (and you need to know this) will sell plants that are hardened off to sunlight.
They are grown in a green house or started under lights and then hardened off.
As for cold I dont nor have I ever had to harden off for cold.
That is not what hardening off is about.
It is for getting the plant used to UV light so they dont burn up.

I try to help you by keeping my replies short and concise so you dont get confused.
Sometimes I have to get more information to answer you.
If you think that is being caustic then so be it.

I am also well aware that you have migraines and other problems as you stated on the other thread.
This can be used as an excuse for irritable behavior for only a little bit with me.
After that it no longer becomes and excuse, it becomes a reason that is inexcusable.

I have tried my darnedest to help you out since the day you joined but this will be the last time I ever reply directly to on any questions you have on anything.
That way you wont get confused and think I am being caustic.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #12
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I will try to reply to this as polite and concise as I can.

Many of your posts such as this one asking about whether or not you should harden plants off that you purchased lack enough information to give a good answer.
So to give a good answer I asked why you thought you needed to harden them off.
Anyone sending/selling plants (and you need to know this) will sell plants that are hardened off to sunlight.
They are grown in a green house or started under lights and then hardened off.
As for cold I dont nor have I ever had to harden off for cold.
That is not what hardening off is about.
It is for getting the plant used to UV light so they dont burn up.

I try to help you by keeping my replies short and concise so you dont get confused.
Sometimes I have to get more information to answer you.
If you think that is being caustic then so be it.

I am also well aware that you have migraines and other problems as you stated on the other thread.
This can be used as an excuse for irritable behavior for only a little bit with me.
After that it no longer becomes and excuse, it becomes a reason that is inexcusable.

I have tried my darnedest to help you out since the day you joined but this will be the last time I ever reply directly to on any questions you have on anything.
That way you wont get confused and think I am being caustic.

Worth

Well I will try my best to include more information in the future. I have been talking about these plants I ordered from Burbee for a while now Worth. To be Honest I really did not think I had to go back over that information.

I am sorry that you will no longer answer any questions at all that I ask. To be honest that in of itself makes me wonder?

I have been now told that I am no longer allowed to see my Father by my siblings. I will be as Honest as I can with you. My mind does not work right? I do not know what is wrong with it? Not just Depression. Other things that cause me to say and do things that hurt people. Now I have hurt you. For that I truly am sorry.
I do not know what is wrong wit my mind? I say what pops into my mind and spout off the top of my head? It really worries me a bunch. This is why I live alone with my Dog and Outside Cat.

My mood and rhyme and reason can swing from side to side and I have no clue why? My Head feels like it is going to explode 24/7, No Clue.

I am just trying my best here to explain myself to you. If you want not to talk to me that is your choice. I can not change that in one bit. Nor can I change Me, Beale.
Old April 18, 2015   #13
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I plant early morning for approx half of my total plant count then early evening on the same day if possible for the remainder.

Works very well.
Old April 18, 2015   #14
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I do not plant out when the sun is baking hot. Not that my plants wouldn't mind it, but I hate the heat. So, I try to get all of my planting done early in the morning.
As long as the nights are above 50F you should be fine. If you have been growing under grow lights, then it is always good to at least give a few days out in the sun (in their containers) for them to adjust (bringing them back in at night). If they look really healthy right before you plant them, don't water them until you think they need it maybe a day or two later. If they are a bit wilty, then either try to perk them up before planting or plant them anyhow and give a little water and some diluted fertilizer.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #15
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

I try to plant on a cloudy day. It is sometimes hard, tho, to wait for that perfect cloudy day.

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote