Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 19, 2015   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default How I Get Early Tomatoes

Every year, I try to get tomatoes as early as I can (don't we all). After trying for years to get lights to go inside my seedling room, I have decided that there is a better way. No. There's no magic soil formula. There's no special lighting scheme. There isn't even any seed germination involved.

I buy a few large plants from the guy at the flea market. He always has them and they only cost a couple bucks for 24" to 30" plants - Most of which already have fruit set. Here's what he had this year. Now, yes, they are hybrids. And, no, they don't taste quite as good as heirlooms. But, they are light years ahead of those cardboard excuses found in the supermarkets.

So, here are BETTER BOY, CELEBRITY, and EMPIRE. I've grown the first two before, but have not experienced Burpee's new one - Empire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BtrBoy2015.JPG (271.5 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Celebrity2015a.JPG (246.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Empire2015.JPG (290.2 KB, 142 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2015   #2
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

I ordered some this year from Laurel's Heirloom Tomato Plants, delivered to a friend as a gift. Nice sturdy plants, one even with a couple of small tomatoes (probably the Stupice). I don't have the setup/am too lazy and careless to have grown such nice plants.
Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2015   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

It's how I have ripe tomatoes here in July except I start my own. You fo needs a greenhouse to do it successfully though I think. I start mine the end of March and set them out blooming and 24+ inches tall often with a few fruit set.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2015   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Ted, I think you need to take it one step further and ask the guy to grow some "special" varieties for you. Give him some seeds .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2015   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Linda, I had already thought about that, but the guy at the flea market is the middle man. He goes to the folks with greenhouses and gets the plants at wholesale. But, he has been working with those growers for a lot of years. Next week, I think I'll ask him if he thinks this kind of thing could happen.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote