Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 17, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Foot

I need some help in understanding what I need to do and even if I can do it.

This is what I have.

I am currently growing Black Foot. I have RL and PL and my seed came from a friend. This friend had bagged the seed and they had gotten their original seed from a seed company selling on line. Reputable one.

After reading the history behind Black Foot, I went hunting back and asked another friend if they happened to have any of the original seed they had received left that they were willing to share.

This last seed, and the closest to original I could find, they had gotten a few seeds from the person who had gotten the heirloom from the gentleman who had saved it all his time.

The woman he gave the seed too, grew it, but didn't know enough about tomatoes and also may have had other tomatoes growing , so the seed could have crossed possibly. She shared a couple of seeds with the friend I just got seed from.

This friend grew out the seed, again it was unbagged and other tomatoes were grown around it, but the friend, thinks the chances of a cross are minimal if at all.

So what I would like to do if it is possible is see if I can get Black Foot stabilized I guess is the terminology to what it was when the original gentleman grew and saved his seeds.

Is this even possible? Can I get back to what his original seed was like? If so, what do I have to do and how do I even go about trying to do it?

Last edited by Starlight; May 17, 2015 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote