Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 1, 2015   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default Stupid critter

Despite my Ft. Knox fence around the garden, something got in there and badly munched 4 of 12 pepper plants. Still have some growth points but I'm still ★★★★ed and will take some time to recover. I use rabbit guard fence and it hasn't failed me, the only thing I can think of is a baby rabbit jumped through an upper large hole, but that would take some coordination. f&@$.

Venting helps. Thanks.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2015   #2
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

How's about mice?
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2015   #3
Stainless
Tomatovillian™

I went through the same thing last year but I didn't have a fence. I had several critters that I caught on camera.

I think something is back this year because I've noticed several broccoli leaves snapped around the base.

Here is my culprits from last year. You may want to throw a game cam out to see if you have the same issue.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=33420
Stainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2015   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I don't think it's mice the stems about 8" off the ground were chewed off. Based on what animals we have around here and given it happened during the day I think it is small rabbits. I've never had an issue in 7 years we've lived here with the fences I use. At this point I'm going to hope for the best and maybe spread some urine around the garden.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2015   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I think it's a small rabbit too. It makes since.

Mice can climb all over a plant and eat away. Kangaroo mice can stand on their back legs like we do and are very destructive. Many online searches say they live in the desert regions, but they also live just about everywhere else.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2015   #6
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Rats can also do this. They are everywhere. Put out traps just in case this is your culprit, in my opinion. I've had them 2 years ago (no idea why they aren't here every year as we have a creek behind us) and they got through/around my fort knox too. They will eat a just about to blush tomato and leave 1/2 of it on the vine. Infuriating!
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote