Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 30, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Bent Branch What to do?

In the pictures below, you can see what looks to be a completely broken branch (Main stalk). If I remove the wires holding it upright - the plant will topple to the ground. The upper section is green so I'm thinking there is hope for it.

It is a Sungold that I started from a cutting caused by storm damage. This plant isn't important to me, but I would like to use this plant as a "How-to-Fix-it" type learning experience. I'm thinking to keep the wires holding it up and possibly using a stretchy fabric type tape on the bent part? The bent part is about an inch from the bottom of the second picture.

You can sure tell how wet it has been here by the plant wanting to grow roots by the bent part.

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0026.JPG (94.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0027.JPG (105.1 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 30, 2015 at 12:42 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I would splint it using a stick and masking tape, but vet wrap would work too. Should be an interesting experiment. Do keep us posted!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #3
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

It looks a lot more than "bent". I suppose you can try splinting it but personally I would cut it off and root it for another plant.

Dave
Old June 30, 2015   #4
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

I'd try splinting and wrapping with masking tape. Tomatoes are very resilient, and you might be surprised what they can overcome!
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've successfully splinted broken branches, using whatever I had in the garden at the time.

Or you could prop a pot with some potting mix under it and let it root into the pot. Or wrap some growing media around the injury and let it grow roots before cutting it off (called air layering). I've had branches that touched the ground and grew roots.

Cutting it off and rooting it is another option, if you have a place for it. (I grew lots of tomatoes from seed this year and kept them in the greenhouse too long, waiting for my planting beds to be ready. As a result, some of them got powdery mildew. I removed leaves, cut above the damaged parts of the stem, and rerooted a few varieties. So far they're doing ok, but now I've started spraying with neem if I see a spot of mold. Tomatoes are quick and resilient!)

Last edited by habitat_gardener; June 30, 2015 at 04:58 PM.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I think I'll do both. After all, you can never have too many Sungold plants. I've never splinted a tomato plant.

The plant is already a clone. I have much larger Sungold plants to get cuttings from. Thanks for the idea Dave.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I would put 3 bamboo sticks next to the stem and wrap over them with cheese cloth or nylon tulle.
The wound is healing itself. Just give it some support.
I would also tie/secure the upper portion to a stake.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote